Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-16-2007, 08:13 PM   #21
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
Good thing you didnt have your briefcase checked by the TSA.

"Code red...code red...we have a guy with frozen meat in his briefcase!"
ROFL!!!
"And here we thought nail clippers and hand lotion were the most dangerous items we might find!!! Whew, that was close! We could have been...er...OMG, we could have been SATIATED!!"

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-17-2007, 12:05 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Honestly, they just taste different to me. DW doesn't like them. I have about 4 in the freezer from the 10 steak "sample pack" I bought. They seem less juicy, but need less seasoning. Costco all the way for me. Their Sirloins are great weekly steaks, and the NY for special occasions.

Old 07-17-2007, 12:11 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Top sirloin...definitely the best meat deal out there. They look a little funny in the package at the store but they cook up gorgeous, good beefy flavor, nice and tender. This is what you usually get when you eat out at a steak house and get the generic 'steak' or 'sirloin" dishes.

Other thing my Costco started carrying which I've never seen outside a custom butcher shop is Flap Meat Steak. Butchers usually take this home or sell it to their buddies. This is a cut from the loin and looks like a cross between flank steak and skirt. Taste is similar but its a good bit more tender. Like Skirt I marinate it for about 2 hours in lime juice, cumin and a bit of olive oil, cook rare-medium-rare and slice on the bias against the grain. My wife really likes it.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 09:33 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
Top sirloin...definitely the best meat deal out there. They look a little funny in the package at the store but they cook up gorgeous, good beefy flavor, nice and tender. This is what you usually get when you eat out at a steak house and get the generic 'steak' or 'sirloin" dishes.

Other thing my Costco started carrying which I've never seen outside a custom butcher shop is Flap Meat Steak. Butchers usually take this home or sell it to their buddies. This is a cut from the loin and looks like a cross between flank steak and skirt. Taste is similar but its a good bit more tender. Like Skirt I marinate it for about 2 hours in lime juice, cumin and a bit of olive oil, cook rare-medium-rare and slice on the bias against the grain. My wife really likes it.

top sirloin, huh? i bought a center cut sirloin, which i assumed would be better than top sirloin, for a taste test vs omaha....side by side....and omaha won, although the center cut sirloin form the local grocer had a better texture
Old 07-17-2007, 11:40 PM   #25

Anyone have any recs for a good butcher shop in Los Angeles (preferably Long
Beach area). While I have found some decent select and once in a while choice cuts,
sometimes I want some prime beef. Bristol Farms has some premium cuts (for $25+
a pound), but I wouldn't mind finding a retail butcher to support. I had thought about
trying mail order, but from the comments so far it does not sound like a solution.
Old 07-18-2007, 08:51 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Only HaHa mentioned Rib-Eye? That has been my favorite for a long, long time.

Some don't care for the texture, a little 'mushy' I guess? I'm fine with it and love the flavor.

-ERD50

-ERD50
Old 07-18-2007, 09:25 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefed View Post
top sirloin, huh? i bought a center cut sirloin, which i assumed would be better than top sirloin, for a taste test vs omaha....side by side....and omaha won, although the center cut sirloin form the local grocer had a better texture
Thats the problem with frozen meat. Mushy.

I'm not sure what a center cut sirloin actually is. I've never seen it in a local market, but I see that sometimes it refers to a piece from the top sirloin area and sometimes from a smaller, less well formed area of the sirloin strip.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 10:22 AM   #28

Rib eye is my preferred steak too. The other steaks just don't have the same flavor. Or at least the ones I've tried.
Old 07-18-2007, 11:41 AM   #29

I normally have my butcher cut ribeyes 1.25" to 1.5" thick for me. I'll occasionally buy a different cut of steak, but I much prefer the ribeyes. Love 'em!!!
Old 12-31-2009, 10:21 AM   #30

I ordered about $170 worth in two orders of Omaha Steaks this week. They are half price now after Christmas, and I always wanted to try them to see if they were worth the hype.Well, I've only tested the burgers so far, but they aren't worth the hype: mushy! Yes, mushy burgers that break in two unless you are very, very, very careful. Taste was okay, but really not all that great. Not bad...just not worth the money.

But here's my biggest gripe: I had received an email from Omaha Steaks that I could get my second order of around $100 shipped FREE if it was over $69 and I ordered the last two days of the selling year, which I DID--plus, I could get FREE 6 Tartlets, which I think you put ice cream in and eat. Anyway, supposedly good.
This was an end-of-year offer, and I didn't think of it until I hung up being so concentrated on getting the order right. The Customer Service REP there surely DIDN'T mention it either. Why not if this was a last working day of the year special for everyone ordering that day?
I found the email and forwarded it to them asking for my FREE shipping and FREE Tartlets. Heard nothing--even tho every other time I wrote Customer Service they responded back within 3 hours.
The next day after ordering, I phoned them. The Customer Service Rep said she would do it, but "just a moment" and went away from the phone. I assume she was asking her superior. The response came back that, "No, the order has been shipped and you cannot get the Tartlets." Ok...but how about the FREE shipping being taken off my bill? And, again, the response was: "We make no changes after the order goes in."

I wrote Customer Service a note about this, but, (no surprise) have not--and suspect I never will--hear anything else from them on this.

And here's the clincher: Today, two days after ordering, I just NOW get an email saying they had been shipped out this morning. Huh? I thought they said the order had already been shipped out yesterday...hmmmmmm.

Pretty poor customer service, but that's okay because--besides their mushy meat--I'm going to Sam's Club and buy my meat from now on as per the recommendations of most on this board. Omaha Steaks really lost future orders from me now. And their burger patty really did taste mushy, so I'm hoping the steaks don't suck, too, or I bought a lemon thinking I got a deal. Sigh....

(This goes into the "Live and Learn" basket: Next time I'm checking this board to see if anyone had any comments about a known company. All the information was here, but I just didn't think to check our E-R forum. Dumb.)
Old 12-31-2009, 12:04 PM   #31

I was just getting ready to head out the door to hit the butcher shop down the street, and snag a couple of nice ribeyes ("Choice"...the USDA's highest grade for beef). And I read Orchidflowers's post above about Omaha Steaks....so I went to their website, and broke out my calculator (just for sh*ts 'n' giggles) and ciphered out Omaha vs. my neighborhood butcher.

Holy cr*p Batman!!! Omaha is $10 PER POUND, MORE than Bill the butcher!!! Omaha is $24.99/lb...ON SALE (regular price $38.50!)....Bill the butcher is $14.81/lb normal price!!!

However, on another note....I'm seriously pondering ordering a couple fresh Maine lobsters in the next week or 2 from LobsterGram. Spike O'Dell used to talk about them all the time when he was 'on the air' at WGN Radio in Chicago. And Spike was always pretty much a straight shooter, so if Spike liked something, it was probably good! So I'm banking on his word that the folks at Lobster Gram will send me a couple nice, delicious, fresh 'sea crawdaddies'.

(Ain't nowhere in this neck o' the woods to get live lobsters.....only fresh water crawdads. They're close (and I love 'em!) but no cigar!!)
Old 12-31-2009, 01:33 PM   #32

I work on the ME coast, so fresh lobsters are always available.
I just found a local small butcher shop, and they appear to have top quality meats. I've been impressed with the commissary meats too. They just started selling bison burgers, sausage, hot dogs and a few other cuts in the frozen food section. May give them a try (no additives and no hormones/antibiotics-says its against the law?).
Old 12-31-2009, 02:55 PM   #33

If I didn't get the majority of the stuff below half price (and a couple half price), I would never have purchased any of the Omaha brand. I think their regular prices are waaaaaaaay out of my league of what I'll pay, too. The deals change every day it seems, but I caught it the 26th of December when some of the things were really cheap...belonging in the 'ya snooze 'ya loose category.
Old 12-31-2009, 02:58 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidflower View Post
If I didn't get the majority of the stuff below half price and a couple half price, I would never have purchased any of the Omaha brand. I think their regular prices are waaaaaaaay out of my league of what I'll pay, too.
I've ordered from them twice -- once when I had a really good deal available to me through a coupon code, and once when I was in some online "rewards" program that lost a lot of its best "rewards" and to burn my accumulated $50, I chose a $50 coupon for an order of $75 or more. So I filled the cart with about $80 of stuff, and got it for about $35 with shipping.

The regular prices are absurd, and even though they have a lot of "discounted specials" even those are fairly high per pound.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 04:08 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

I recall getting a box of those steaks a few years ago as a gift at Christmastime (a bribe from a vendor?). I do not recall thinking that it was particularly good or bad tasting meat. It never prompted me to send off and buy a box or 2 on my own.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 08:38 AM   #36
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidflower View Post
I ordered about $170 worth in two orders of Omaha Steaks this week. They are half price now after Christmas, and I always wanted to try them to see if they were worth the hype.Well, I've only tested the burgers so far, but they aren't worth the hype: mushy! Yes, mushy burgers that break in two unless you are very, very, very careful. Taste was okay, but really not all that great. Not bad...just not worth the money.
We used to buy (and like) Omaha Steaks and sometimes would get some free burgers thrown in- I never liked the burgers but really enjoyed the steaks. Now, we just buy a better cut at the local supermarket.
Old 01-01-2010, 11:40 AM   #37
Dryer sheet aficionado

All this talk about meat…
Top me there is a big difference in meat quality and it brakes down into 3 classes; grocery store, bulk store, and mail order. There is also the Angus, Hereford, grass feed thing but that should be a different thread.

Before we moved into the apartment we would go to Costco and we would ask someone at the counter for cryovac whole muscle packs of what we wanted. It would take some time and some skill at home to get everything trimmed, cut, and vacuumed packed.

Were now closer to Sam’s and they don’t want to sell us the cryovac packs unless we get a business account with them.

We finally found a place with good butcher last week. We got a standing rib roast for dinner last night and eat the leftovers for breakfast.
Old 01-01-2010, 11:41 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

For a few years my Mom was giving me Omaha meats for Christmas/Birthday gifts. I appreciated it, but am glad she stopped. I don't like to see anyone overpay for something, and I think their prices are unbelievably inflated. As has been posted by others, you can get equal or better quality meats at half of the sale prices in a good butcher shop, or even the prime meat section of the local grocery. And things like Orchidflower's customer service issues tend to put companies on my blacklist.
Old 01-01-2010, 12:08 PM   #39
gone traveling

can't beat their meat...
Old 01-01-2010, 02:24 PM   #40

What customer service?

Never again, Omaha Steaks.