Join Early Retirement Today
Old 02-13-2016, 08:50 AM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
A positive story as a seller...years ago I sold something big and heavy on eBay. Ok, it was a kid's "spring horse". Instead of weighing it, I looked at what other auctions charged for shipping, and put that in the auction. When it came time to ship it, I realized the auction I used to price shipping was for localish shipping, and my buyer was across the country. I messaged the buyer and said I was going to be taking a bath on the whole thing, and she said "just send the horse, not the base and springs".

It turned-out she was a buyer for the Friday's restaurant chain, something I'd never have found out if I'd priced shipping properly. Now I know that my kids' "Trigger" is hanging in a "Friday's" somewhere

sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-13-2016, 09:19 AM   #42
Dryer sheet aficionado
If the buyer pays with PayPal, they have 180 days (yes, about 6 months) to make an "item not as described" claim. This is with eBay or any other purchases. And the buyer wins the dispute 99% of the time, even if the seller has "sold as-is" or "no returns" in their ad.

treeofpain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 10:53 AM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
You might be surprised. I once sold a very large and heavy elliptical trainer on eBay for local pickup only. The buyer lived nearly 200 miles away, but had relatives in my area he visited occasionally. Showed up at the house with his pickup and took it away happy. Granted, your buyer is at a much greater distance, but you never know ...
I sold an old sewing machine built in to a cabinet on eBay, pickup only, and a collector from 2 states away drove to my house to get it.
misshathaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 10:59 AM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets
I have a 100% rating on eBay so far b/c I've only been doing it for 4 months. I dread the first incident. I've already had some near-misses like 2 packages destroyed in transit. ( Media mail? Possibly not worth it. ) But both of those were resolved without changing the rating. It's only a matter of time however ...
misshathaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 11:12 AM   #45
Dryer sheet aficionado
Yes, if you are a regular seller, you have to build the occasional blip into your business model.
treeofpain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 09:43 AM   #46
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Round Three (I thought this was over)

UPS denied the buyers claim, as did eBay, so I thought it was over.

A few days ago I get an email that the Buyer has filed a claim with PayPal - 'triple jeopardy.' After a few days, they say they've decided the case in favor of the buyer and refunded his full $231 eBay amount - case closed, with almost no discussion. WTH?

I called today and they said they had little choice since the buyer returned the item (even though I asked him not to twice before he returned it, based on the pictures he sent, it was clearly broken). I told PP the buyer never communicated anything before, during or after the eBay transaction, and then 45 days later said it arrived broken. PP's policy is 180 days (eBay is 30 days)...

PP Supv reviewed their notes and refunded my shipping costs, eBay fee & PayPal fee - about $85.

But the PP Supv said they frown on customers who file appeals with PP after eBay has told them no. Evidently they don't know. And this might impact the buyers future use of PP.

Then I explained the evidence that the item was very likely out of the box when it was dropped and broken. PP Supv then filed an appeal on my behalf. He said I would have to have an industry third party attest to the claim the item was not in the box when it was dropped to prevail.

This is all really unfortunate, and I would have worked with the buyer had he a) notified me within a few days of receiving the item (vs 45 days later), or b) been willing to work with me to arrive at a fair settlement (he insisted on a full refund - period and subtly accused me of sending it to him broken).

Not about the money, hasn't been for a while...

If you made it this far, I apologize. [/rant]

No one agrees with other people's opinions; they merely agree with their own opinions -- expressed by somebody else. Sydney Tremayne
Retired Jun 2011 at age 57

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote