Join Early Retirement Today

I knew I'd get scammed by an eBay customer eventually...
Old 02-01-2016, 12:37 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I knew I'd get scammed by an eBay customer eventually...

After 65 items sold and a perfect record, I finally got scammed. Buyer bought a lightly used Delta tabletop planer from me in like new condition. I sent it to him in the original Delta box with all the original Styrofoam inserts & plastic bags - so I know it was adequately packaged. He received it on 12/17. I sent him two courtesy emails, but he never bothered to reply. After a while I assumed all was well. The listing stated "No returns."

Yesterday I receive a claim from eBay, the buyer wants a full refund (purch price & shipping), the item is damaged He sent pictures and a major cast part is indeed badly broken, so it's ruined. eBay wants me to pay for return shipping - obviously there is no point in sending it back. However, the planer was pristine clean when I packaged it, in the pictures there appears to be some dirt and sawdust on it - but NOT sure what to make of that. So he never bothered to open the package until 45 days after he received it! In his claim, he says 'I would like to think you (me) did not know it was broken when you sent it.'

I emailed stating I would like to arrive at an amicable settlement, even though the listing was 'no return.' I asked why he didn't open it sooner, and did there appear to be any damage to the box? Now he is replying to emails, and promptly. He said it was a Christmas present to himself and he put it in his garage. Said the box didn't appear to be damaged. And he said, 'I didn't realize it was "no return" but I would like a full refund.'

At any rate, I've talked to eBay & UPS, and I know I am going to get $ hosed by a scam here, since it's impossible to prove anything. It is hard to believe it could have been dropped hard enough in the package to break a casting without damaging the box - but draw your own conclusions. His eBay rating is perfect, but then they've made it impossible for a buyer to get a bad rating.

Not asking for advice - just consider it a cautionary tale.

I think I've gotten my use from eBay anyway, so I may fight it even - if I'm banned from eBay, no biggie.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-01-2016, 12:42 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

My condolences. If you sell on eBay long enough, it will happen. All I can say is charge a little extra when you can and stick in in the "scam fund" to cover these eventualities.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 12:51 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Yeah, I was $4400+ ahead, looks like I'm gonna give back $230. That would be no problem if it was a legit return/claim, I have my doubts about this situation. But I'm not gonna bother to fight other than taking my sweet time responding...

Old 02-01-2016, 12:51 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Can a new part be obtained?

I think you could make a case that he signed for it and should have inspected it either before signing or promptly after receiving it.

OTOH, what motivation would he have to breaking it if it is no longer useable unless he was really using it and was careless and broke it and is trying to put it back to you or he had a similar unit and bought yours for the good part and is trying to pawn the damaged part back to you along with your unit.

No returns means no returns. His recourse is to UPS, not you. Was the item insured? If so, let him work it out with UPS.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 12:56 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Can a new part be obtained?

I think you could make a case that he signed for it and should have inspected it either before signing or promptly after receiving it.

OTOH, what motivation would he have to breaking it if it is no longer useable unless he was really using it and was careless and broke it and is trying to put it back to you or he had a similar unit and bought yours for the good part and is trying to pawn the damaged part back to you along with your unit.

No returns means no returns. His recourse is to UPS, not you. Was the item insured? If so, let him work it out with UPS.
I suspect someone did use it, and dropped it, now they're trying to say it was damaged before they got it. The first thing UPS told me was it was probably a scam, and it happens to them with eBay sales all the time.

From what I read, the seller is responsible for the item through shipping. The buyer only takes responsibility after received, so it's usually up to the seller to initiate a damage claim with UPS - but that's hopeless (and they told me as much).

But again, I am not going to make a bigger deal out of this. There are scammers out there, I am not surprised I've finally run into one...

Old 02-01-2016, 01:06 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
I suspect someone did use it, and dropped it, now they're trying to say it was damaged before they got it.
Most likely. Those Stanley planes are pretty rugged and the only time I ever managed to break one was by accidentally knocking it off a table onto a concrete floor.
Old 02-01-2016, 01:32 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Most likely. Those Stanley planes are pretty rugged and the only time I ever managed to break one was by accidentally knocking it off a table onto a concrete floor.
Or the guy broke his own plane, then bought another like it and sent photos of his own, original broken plane to Midpack.
Old 02-01-2016, 01:36 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

I never do understand the no returns thing on ebay. They buy can always file a claim against the seller, right or wrong.
Old 02-01-2016, 03:11 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Ebay's policies are very slanted toward the buyers and will over rule things like "no returns". They have changed over the years and you have to study up on them to see what the recent terms are.
Old 02-01-2016, 03:52 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

It goes the other way, too. I bought a case (6 jars) of English marmalade from a supplier of UK foods (British Delights) and the box arrived with one jar completely smashed and the rest of the marmalade in a strange, syrupy condition with almost no orange peel (there is usually a lot of thick-cut peel). I sent them photos, and all they did was refund the (non-shipping) cost of the one smashed jar. After that, they ignored my letters and phone calls. What am I gonna do, sue them over 5 jars of marmalade?

This was their first time shipping via Amazon instead of direct to the customer, and they advised me to go to Amazon for satisfaction. But I had ordered the item during a one-month trial of Amazon Prime, and Amazon had already deleted the records of my order, since my one-month subscription had expired. So I was hosed in every direction. A truly determined person *might* have been able to track down somebody at Amazon to complain to, but I was dealing with multiple real crises at that time and lacked the energy. So it goes.

Amethyst
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 04:58 PM   #11

Sorry for this unwarranted hassle. If I were you I would simply pay up to avoid the stress of fighting it.

I've bought and sold a lot of items on eBay for over 15 years, but I decided to quit last year. Partly because of this sort of thing, and partly because I hate PayPal so much (owned by eBay). Saving a few bucks on a purchase or making a few bucks on something I no longer need just isn't worth it any more.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 05:02 PM   #12
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Amazon deleted the records of your order?! I'm sure that Amazon knows what I had for breakfast 5 years ago Monday...
6miths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 05:07 PM   #13
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
I've bought and sold a lot of items on eBay for over 15 years, but I decided to quit last year. Partly because of this sort of thing, and partly because I hate PayPal so much (owned by eBay). Saving a few bucks on a purchase or making a few bucks on something I no longer need just isn't worth it any more.
+1

Many years ago when eBay was young I really enjoyed using it as it had much more of a garage sale feel - although which much better stuff. That changed over the years with more and more big sellers and much more junk. Buy ultimately it was PayPal that was the final straw for me too.
6miths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 05:14 PM   #14
Full time employment: Posting here.

This will sound nuts, but after having been scammed for about $900 I now do this when I sell:
1. Take picture of item in box.
2. Take picture of box with address sticker, leave box open
3. Ask buyer to confirm (again) the address is correct, and the item is what they ordered
4. At post office, video with iPhone the box, still open with item visible, being handed to clerk, I ask clerk to tape shut. I continue to film until this is done.
5. I email buyer the tracking number, remind them it has to be signed for, and tell them that I have pictures and video of the undamaged (item name) at the post.

Never have the postal clerks even batted an eye, they have heard stories of Ebay sellers being scammed.

Only once did I get a buyer try to say the item she received was a "bag of kids socks", when in reality it was a designer bag. She filed a claim, I sent the pictures and video to Paypal and boom, it was decided in my favor.
irishgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 05:34 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishgal View Post
This will sound nuts, but after having been scammed for about $900 I now do this when I sell:
1. Take picture of item in box.
2. Take picture of box with address sticker, leave box open
3. Ask buyer to confirm (again) the address is correct, and the item is what they ordered
4. At post office, video with iPhone the box, still open with item visible, being handed to clerk, I ask clerk to tape shut. I continue to film until this is done.
5. I email buyer the tracking number, remind them it has to be signed for, and tell them that I have pictures and video of the undamaged (item name) at the post.

Never have the postal clerks even batted an eye, they have heard stories of Ebay sellers being scammed.

Only once did I get a buyer try to say the item she received was a "bag of kids socks", when in reality it was a designer bag. She filed a claim, I sent the pictures and video to Paypal and boom, it was decided in my favor.
Interesting, but this would not have helped Midpack. The guy claims it was damaged in transit.
Old 02-01-2016, 05:52 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Sorry to hear of the scam. It happens more frequently with eBay these days. I have been selling on eBay since 1998 when it was a great place to be. I'm done now, like others here. I got scammed on some U.S. Proof sets and someone did a switch return with a fairly rare coin . PayPal is worthless.

If I have a large item to sell now, it's done on local Craigslist with the usual precautions. Cash only, meet somewhere common and with a buddy.
Old 02-01-2016, 05:56 PM   #17
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Interesting, but this would not have helped Midpack. The guy claims it was damaged in transit.
Yes, I read that. This was just a go-by for future selling for anyone.
I won't bother next time.
irishgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 06:14 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishgal View Post
Yes, I read that. This was just a go-by for future selling for anyone.
I won't bother next time.
I found your post instructive. It is just sad that there seems to be no real way to avoid the hassle Midpack encountered.
Old 02-01-2016, 07:09 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6miths View Post
Amazon deleted the records of your order?! I'm sure that Amazon knows what I had for breakfast 5 years ago Monday...
They may know, but they don't necessarily want to tell you. I've had a number of issues with finding orders that weren't the normal completed orders. Especially cancelled orders, they just disappear. Someone recently posted a method of downloading a CSV file from Amazon that seems to have a lot of information you can't find on their web pages.

Regarding the OP, I do a lot of ordering for my small business, and I'll only order through eBay if I absolutely have to. I find the system difficult to deal with, and I'm with braumeister, I despise Paypal. I've had a few less than satisfactory experiences with Amazon, but they feel very professional to work with compared to eBay.
Old 02-01-2016, 07:13 PM   #20
Gone but not forgotten

I sold on ebay for ten years . I had a 14 day return policy . It really kept the scammers at bay because if they decided 30 days after the purchase there was a problem ebay always ruled against them.
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote