I knew there was a reason for this - cold weather gear

Wolverine fur has been proven to be superior to all other natural furs used as parka ruffs (Mizell et al. 1956). Wolverine fur’s superior qualities include the protection it provides from the wind, the ease with which it sheds ice and frost, the comfort it provides the face, and its durability. These attributes are due to a complex combination of structural and mechanical characteristics including the fur’s diame- ter, length, and hair spacing on the skin

When I was in the Air Force, we occasionally had to visit extreme Arctic regions, and our issued parkas always had wolverine fur as the ruff in the "snorkel-type" hood. We were told that wolverine fur was unique in being the only fur that didn't accumulate frost buildup from our exhaled breath.

Hopefully I will never, ever, be anyplace that is so cold the use of wolverine fur is of value.

I have an Air Force parka that I bought when I worked for them. The wolverine fur is the only way to go for wind protection. I had about a 200 yard walk from the parking lot to the building I worked in and only used the snorkel if it was windy otherwise I could always judge how cold it was by the amount of frost that built up on my moustache while walking that distance.

I don't think the places I went even exist anymore, but I vividly remember walking through -55°F (that's -48°C) and the wind and snow blew so hard there were ropes strung between the doors to the buildings so you could guide yourself hand over hand.

Believe it or not, those parkas were good enough that we were able to handle those conditions. Although I was Air Force, I have always had a soft spot in my heart for the guys at Natick Labs, the place in Massachusetts where they test and certify military equipment for all the services.

Back
Top Bottom