I know some like native artifacts.

grasshopper

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I found this matate last week, it is kinda small maybe 30 lbs. I also found one about 100 lbs the same day. The neat thing about this portable model is that it has corn flour dried and still embedded in the rock pores. This was turned upside down to keep the rain from puddling in grinding area hundreds of years ago, and never moved.

ForumRunner_20130815_114514.png

How exciting, grasshopper! Were these accidental finds or were you involved in some type of artifact search?

omni

Very cool, indeed.

Had an empl*yee who walked freshly plowed farm fields in Indiana and Illinois, looking for native artifacts. She had dozens (maybe hundreds) of arrow and spear points as well as tools (cutting, scraping, tanning, etc.), many dating back 10,000 years. One very interesting find was, apparently, a camp where native Americans worked on these items, discarding their "mistakes". What an insight into the nature of human beings! We have changed so little in all those years. Our level of possessions has changed, but not our overall outlook on life. W*rk before you play, defend your territory, don't be greedy, strive for perfection, teach your children well. These were the take away messages that the lady espoused about native Americans. I tend to believe her conclusions as I see those things here on this forum. YMMV

How exciting, grasshopper! Were these accidental finds or were you involved in some type of artifact search?

omni

One of my neighbors family has a 32000 acre ranch. His wife won't let him go out on his own(he is really old). so we go out drink a bunch of beer and talk like sailors. What a great way to waste a day in retirement, and get some exercise also.

One of my neighbors family has a 32000 acre ranch. His wife won't let him go out on his own(he is really old). so we go out drink a bunch of beer and talk like sailors. What a great way to waste a day in retirement, and get some exercise also.
I want to go with you! :)

Terrific! I love to read about how other retirees enjoy their time. :)

a camp where native Americans worked on these items, discarding their "mistakes". What an insight into the nature of human beings! We have changed so little in all those years. Our level of possessions has changed, but not our overall outlook on life. W*rk before you play, defend your territory, don't be greedy, strive for perfection, teach your children well. These were the take away messages that the lady espoused about native Americans.

I agree that your finds were pretty cool.

However, I might not read as much into it as you do. Their 'castaways' were most likely not purely for the sake of (to borrow a popular marketing slogan from a certain import automaker) "the relentless pursuit of perfection", but moreso a desire to keep their stomachs somewhat full and not go hungry.

Or keeping their scalp.

Back
Top Bottom