Join Early Retirement Today
Old 03-21-2014, 07:41 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Originally Posted by redduck View Post
I have never thought about minimum expended fuel. And, I hardly ever think about minimum time to get there. I do think about the simplest, most relaxed and most pleasant route. Makes me happy.
Nothing wrong with your choice. However, it makes it hard to compute, as we now must find a way to quantify the "relaxed" and "pleasant" qualities of different routes.

Only then can we find an optimal route for you. Math and science do have a drawback; everything must be measurable or the computation cannot start.

"Old age is the most unexpected of all things that can happen to a man" -- Leo Tolstoy
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

I know the Joneses!!
Old 03-21-2014, 08:44 PM   #22
I know the Joneses!!

I don't hang out with the Joneses. I think they must live in Uptown somewhere. Most people that I know seem pretty unassuming and genuinely friendly, thank goodness.

"You can never cross the ocean until you have the courage to lose sight of the shore." - - - C. Columbus
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 11:32 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Originally Posted by Eyerishgold View Post
I don't get it.. Friends of mine and DW just bought a perfectly nice house about a year ago in an upscale suburb of Chicago. It's plenty big for their family of 4. However, they've recently told us that they sold their house and just bought a 4000 square foot house in the same suburb. We looked up the listing price and it was $979,000.

What I find amusing about this is that they were thinking about moving to an even more upscale suburb but then decided that they'd have to spend too much money to keep up with the Joneses if they moved to this other more upscale suburb. So, I guess that they decided to become the Joneses instead. He's an investment banker and she doesn't work. I'm sure he makes good money but during a conversation with DW, Mrs. Jones dropped this on her. "Well, at least you guys have a savings account so you must be doing something right." WTF!! These are perfectly intelligent people and I just don't get it at all. DW held back that we not only have a healthy savings account, but a healthy brokerage account as well as IRA's, 401k's etc. How do you not have any savings at all and decide it's a good idea to buy a million dollar house? We're assuming that they used the proceeds of their sale (they made a profit) and his bonus for the down payment but they could've stayed in their current house, banked the bonus and been way better off. I just don't get it at all.

I humored them a bit by saying how nice the house was and that I was jealous of their nice new home but all I was thinking was this is stupid, stupid, stupid. Thanks for listening to my rant.
I don't know many broke investment bankers, and I doubt this guy is one either. I am doing ok, but when I meet with old friends many of them are much better off than I.

So how come so many of you other guys know mostly high-living paupers?

My Dad was a lbymer always telling me our friends with new Buicks and Caddies were actually poor. He was wrong. Their widows lived very nicely for decades after their deaths.

haha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 12:01 AM   #24
Maybe they held their house in an LLC or something and needed to 1031 exchange it along with his bonus into a more expensive property to create a tax shelter. If he's an investment banker, maybe he knows something about this "investment" that we don't. I hope they have more sense than to sink all of their $ into a house.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 12:45 AM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets
Me and... Mrs. Jones

Mrs. Jones

Mrs. Jones

We got a thing

Going on
34rlsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 03:56 AM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
As long as they are comfortable with their choices, and willing to accept the consequences of their actions, it's fine with me.
And if their future elected officials see no reason to bail them out for having made those decisions that got them to the miserably poor financial state they are then...

...that is fine with me too.
Theseus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 06:39 AM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets
I knew Mr. Jones. He was a friend of mine. Frankly sir you are no Mr. Jones.

2soon2tell is offline   Reply With Quote