Join Early Retirement Today

I lack the proper mind-set for ER!! HELP!!
Old 03-14-2005, 02:27 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

I lack the proper mind-set for ER!! HELP!!

Hi all-
I wrote you all a couple months ago. I am a 58 yo teacher currently in Asia. I am having tremendous difficulty "embracing" my decision to quit teaching full time. I have already signed a contract for one more school year (2005-06), but I am debating about whether I should shoot for one more after that!!!! I have this part of me that is greedy and wants to accumulate more funds, and therefore, a more comfortable retirement. However, I am at a point where the stress of long days, the stress of dealing with "spoiled" kids that somehow expect their success in school to be the teacher's responsibility, and the stress of putting up with the banter and politics inherent in any organization is overwhelming me. Having a mind-set where I fully embrace ONE MORE YEAR as my last is what I am desiring. Have any of you had the same doubting experiences as I have?
The pension plan I am with (TIAA-CREF) allows its members to live off the annuity interest after the age of 55. I am 58 That interest income for me would be about $29,800/year in August 2006. I can opt to use my full pension plan anytime I want, but the longer I wait, the more I get. If I received my full pension in August 2006, I'd get $46,700 per year, but that amount would increase 3% a year. If I waited until August 2007, I'd start at $50,000/year, increasing 3% a year.
I would love to take up Tai Chi, or meditation or some form of relaxation exercise. I'd love to choose certain times of the day to tutor science or teach English as a Seconds Language here. I'd love to wake up later and enjoy the mornings instead of worrying about getting to school early. However, I am worried about money, about being comfortable. I have no kids and no wife.
If any of you tell me I'm being absolutely ridiculous and should embrace retirement in a year, GREAT. I need some advice, since I hesitate to let this indecisiveness show at my school. I am at wits end. If I embraced a decision, the next year would go by better. My fear, though, is if the next year goes by better, then i'll want to stay one more year. I go around and around thinking like this. Help!!!!!

Rob

Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: I lack the proper mind-set for ER!! HELP!!
Old 03-14-2005, 03:10 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Rob

Lighten up and hum - in all probability your budget is less than what you could draw if you pulled the pin yesterday.

So - if you have the FI part knocked - your work is a hobby. Relax - you will 'know' when the time comes.

Meanwhile - enjoy your new hobby.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 03:12 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Rob,

I am also 58. Last year my brother died and my best friend died. This weekend one of my high school friends suffered a stroke and is paralyzed and in intensive care. You may have been more fortunate and not experienced anything like this, but I promise you if you did it would wipe away all your doubts once and for all.

Get out while you can. A few more dollars are not worth it.

REW
Old 03-14-2005, 03:39 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

REW.............you got it right brother.

JG
MRGALT2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 02:26 AM   #5

Rob,

You're in the wrong forum if you expect anyone here to say, "suck it up and get back to work". Aint gonna happen boyfriend.

Regardless, your post uses the S word (stress) too often. Its obvious you've had it. Your casserole is done and you didn't hear the bell ring. Stress in your 20's - 40's keeps you sharp. After that it kills you. The greedy part - read paycheck - is worse. Its more like drug addiction... and ER is your 12 step program. Need a sponsor?

BUM
Old 03-15-2005, 07:28 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I have this part of me that is greedy and wants to accumulate more funds, and therefore, a more comfortable retirement. However, I am at a point where the stress of long days, the stress of dealing with "spoiled" kids that somehow expect their success in school to be the teacher's responsibility, and the stress of putting up with the banter and politics inherent in any organization is overwhelming me. ... The pension plan I am with (TIAA-CREF) allows its members to live off the annuity interest after the age of 55. I am 58 That interest income for me would be about $29,800/year in August 2006. I can opt to use my full pension plan anytime I want, but the longer I wait, the more I get. If I received my full pension in August 2006, I'd get $46,700 per year, but that amount would increase 3% a year. If I waited until August 2007, I'd start at $50,000/year, increasing 3% a year.
Do some back of the envelope math here. You can work one more year and collect an extra $3300/year for the rest of your life. That increment is worth somewhere between $50k and $100k, depending on various assumptions re interest rates and your health. Call it $75k just to make the comparison easy. The alternative is that you can retire in August 2006 and collect $29,800+$46,700=$76,500 in the first year doing whatever you like. Just to make it clear, that $76k in the first year isn't available to you if you keep teaching.

Bottom line, whichever alternative you choose, you are in almost exactly the same boat financially. If you loved teaching and it wasn't a source of considerable stress, then perhaps it would be worth your while to continue even if there were no financial benefit. Given what you have written re stress and with scant financial benefit from staying one more year, what's the point?

Old 03-15-2005, 07:48 AM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

76k/ year. Yikes. My fam could live like kings on that kind of coin.

I would say sit down and get a good grasp of what you spend, and see if your annuity/pension $$ can cover it. If it can, then don't let the door hit hit ya where the good Lord split ya...
Old 03-15-2005, 09:24 AM   #8

Kids in Asia are spoiled?
azanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 09:26 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Single and $76K per year? I'd be so "outta there" it's not funny. My personal "magic number" is about $50K per year!
Old 03-15-2005, 12:11 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

If I retire in Aug. 2006, I would get about $29,800 per year if i chose to live off the annuity interest. If I were to retire in August 2006 on full pernsion, I would get about $47,000/year TOTAL. If I taught for one more year, then the $47,000 increases to about $50,500/year. Is the extra year woth it?
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 12:15 PM   #11

Quote:
If I retire in Aug. 2006, I would get about $29,800 per year if i chose to live off the annuity interest. If I were to retire in August 2006 on full pernsion, I would get about $47,000/year TOTAL. If I taught for one more year, then the $47,000 increases to about $50,500/year. Is the extra year woth it?

NO
Old 03-15-2005, 12:15 PM   #12

Quote:
If I taught for one more year, then *the $47,000 increases to about $50,500/year. *Is the extra year woth it?
It's worth it only if you need to live on $50,500 a year instead of $47,000. Otherwise, it's not worth it. You can't buy your time back.
Old 03-15-2005, 12:21 PM   #13

Quote:
If I retire in Aug. 2006, I would get about $29,800 per year if i chose to live off the annuity interest. *If I were to retire in August 2006 on full pernsion, I would get about $47,000/year TOTAL. *If I taught for one more year, then *the $47,000 increases to about $50,500/year. *Is the extra year woth it?
Can you live on the $47K / year? *Do you need the extra $3K to pay for your lifestyle plans in retirement? *How much below that pension income do you plan to live? *If you need all that income immediately in retirement do you have outside savings? *While you've got a partial COLA, 3% may not be what you experience for inflation. *There have been periods where it has been higher and if you are limited to 3% increases you would fall behind in such a scenario. *If you don't need all of the money now and have little outside savings then stashing some aside to cover future shortfalls would be prudent. *Whether you can retire or not will depend on your lifestyle plans and other assets.
Hyperborea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 12:28 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

I am the same age as you. I taught in the public schools with a couple short breaks for travel as a young man since I was 21.

I retired at age 53 when my years of service + my age = 80.

I always advised my fellow teachers to stop chasing a few percentage points per year for additional service. You and I have a 50% chance of living another 15 or so years. How many of them are you going to give to the classroom?

As you continue teaching the stress increases year by year at our age ... How many of those 15 years will be in good health? Will our final years be as good as the next few ?

My advice: Retire at end of this school year!
Ol&#039; Rancher<br /><br />I wake up in the morning with nothing to do, and by the end of the day, I feel lucky if I&#039;ve gotten less than half of it done.
Ol_Rancher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 12:29 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Or look at it this way. Quit and take the 47k...then is there something you find enjoyable but didnt do for a living that makes oh...say $3k a year working very part time? Tying flies? Splitting wood?
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 01:14 PM   #16

This is a serious question. Am I the only one on this board who just said "I quit" without any real planning
and figured I would work out the details as I went along? It surely seems that way. I know it was partly fueled by galloping egomania, but still.......................
Anyone else do this, or am I alone in the universe?

JG
MRGALT2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 01:22 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

I was canned(PC er Layed off) at age 49. Pissed me off so much that I didn't look real hard for another job. That was Jan 1993. My er early retirement plan prior to that event was 2006 at age 63.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 01:30 PM   #18

No brainer for me. I can live on $30K a year with no dependents. Why work when you do have to? You cannot equate a monetary value to freedom and time to do things that you want to.
Old 03-15-2005, 01:43 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
This is a serious question. Am I the only one on this board who just said "I quit" without any real planning
and figured I would work out the details as I went along? It surely seems that way. I know it was partly fueled by galloping egomania, but still.......................
Anyone else do this, or am I alone in the universe?

JG
Nope, I had no plan at all, just a bunch of money, sick of working, tired of the job, fresh from a thoroughly enjoyable summer sabbatical, and I figured I'd probably go back to work at the same place after enjoying a year off with pay courtesy of a RIF program I dropped in on.

Then after a couple of months filled with fits of giggling and 12 hour sleeps, I ran some numbers, said "I can do this" and never looked back.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 03:29 PM   #20

Quote:
and figured I would work out the details as I went along? ...
JG
I worked in high tech R&D at a large corporation. I had always LBYM (lived below my means) and had been tracking my net worth for 6 years before retirement. But, I didn't have a retirement plan, as such. As time went on, my work environment deteriorated and I grew unhappy at work.

By age 48, I was seriously studying the company's pension formulas and graphed what my defined pension would be versus retirement age. The minimum retirement age was 50 and I figured that I would retire at about age 52 or 53.

But, as the job grew more stressful, retirement at age 50 looked better and better. As I turned 49, the question became whether I could even last another year on the job.

At about that time, a miracle occurred -- the company announced a voluntary early retirement offer for long time employees 45 or older! Employees were given only a month to decide whether to accept the offer. I took the plunge at age 49, thinking I would work out the details later and probably get another job.

That was over 3 years ago. JG, my wife is still working and like your wife, doesn't want to retire any time soon. Her salary is about equal to my (non-COLA) pension. We have been blessed with an increasing net worth -- more than $1M US. I didn't have to go back to work and probably won't unless it's working part time in something fun -- a lot of fun

At this point, the biggest threat to continued bliss is ever-increasing healthcare insurance costs.