Join Early Retirement Today

I love my wife, but.........
Old 06-10-2005, 03:17 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I love my wife, but.........

My wife left yesterday for a few days to visit my daughter (Bay Area). I had 3 day golf tournament I was committed to, so no go for me.
Last night, I had a few guys over that had some money committed to either San Antoinio, or Detroit on the first playoff game. We were switching back and forth between that game and the Giants game.
One of the guys has a son that pitches for the Minnesotta Twins, and we had that game on via Game-day on the internet.
I won $200.00. (Took San Antonio).
My wife called me this morning, about an hour before I was scheduled to tee off on the first leg of tournament, thanking me for not complaining that she was going to be gone for a few days.
I feel a little "naughty"

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: I love my wife, but.........
Old 06-10-2005, 03:29 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Why? You won!

Son plays pro ball? Wow, I bet he only mentions that every other breath! (hey, I would!)

Old 06-10-2005, 03:42 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

A break can be a nice refreshing time to do whatever you want to do. Enjoy.
Old 06-10-2005, 03:52 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Dang CT, and I thought it was minnersoter all this time

When my wife goes away, I get solo baby duty. I really *am* glad to see her come back, on several levels!
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 04:24 PM   #5

Wow, now that you've brought it up, I don't recall seeing my wife for several days. I wonder when she's comming back?
Old 06-10-2005, 04:33 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurence
Why?* You won!*

Son plays pro ball? Wow, I bet he only mentions that every other breath!* (hey, I would!)
Laurence - you may not know this but the Ex-Jarhead used to play pro ball - Bow Down! - Bow Down!
Old 06-10-2005, 05:07 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

ex-Jarhead, you're a baller, too? I want details!
Old 06-10-2005, 06:13 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-Jarhead
I feel a little "naughty"
You can get over that by not cleaning or picking up anything until she gets back home. Then she'll know you truly missed her.

For you newer-marrieds-- I'm kidding!

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 07:51 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurence
ex-Jarhead, you're a baller, too?* I want details!*
Most of us are ballers, Laurence. But Jarhead is also a ball-player.

Ha
Old 06-10-2005, 08:30 PM   #10

Jarhead,
This one I don't know. Probably too much a rookie on the forum. What about this ball playing? Very curious?

BTW: Stick with San Antonio. Six games would be one too many, IMHO.

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 11:16 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by - SG
Wow, now that you've brought it up, I don't recall seeing my wife for several days.* I wonder when she's comming back?* *
DW called tonight from Erick, OK. I guess I was right. She hasn't been around here for about a week.
Old 06-10-2005, 11:19 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by - SG
DW called tonight from Erick, OK.* I guess I was right.* She hasn't been around here for about a week.* *
Still, if she were leaving you not likely she would have gone to Erick.

M
Old 06-10-2005, 11:28 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaHa
Still, if she were leaving you not likely she would have gone to Erick.

M
Erick is just a stopover on her way to Blytheville, AR. But I think your argument still holds.

I assume everyone knows I'm joking -- not about DW being in Erick. That's the sad truth. But she's on an archaeology excavation that I'm not able to go to because I have another meeting in Long Beach, CA starting tomorrow. We'll meet in Long Beach later in the week for our anniversary (30th).
Old 06-11-2005, 08:05 AM   #14

Jarhead,

Father Lohse must be very proud of his son!

- As far as supporting the Twins, we do support the Twins in this area. However we have the greediest owner in basball - Carl Pohlad. There is currently a deal in the Minnesota legislature to increase the sales tax in my County to pay for a new Twins Stadium downtown. This is mainly to make the wealthiest owner in baseball even wealthier!

Meanwhile the state is in budget woes! - We are having trouble raising money for elementery education! And the transportation in this area are severely lacking

We have told this owner "NO" for about 10 years and he won't give up! - You'd think at age 90+ this guy would not want to go down history as Scrooge II -

Old 06-11-2005, 09:46 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cut-Throat
Jarhead,

Father Lohse must be very proud of his son!

- As far as supporting the Twins, we do support the Twins in this area. However we have the greediest owner in basball - Carl Pohlad. There is currently a deal in the Minnesota legislature to increase the sales tax in my County to pay for a new Twins Stadium downtown. This is mainly to make the wealthiest owner in baseball even wealthier!

Meanwhile the state is in budget woes! - We are having trouble raising money for elementery education! And the transportation in this area are severely lacking

We have told this owner "NO" for about 10 years and he won't give up! - You'd think at age 90+ this guy would not want to go down history as Scrooge II -

Cutthroat: I'm somewhat familiar with the Carl Pohland story, and the proposed stadium.
There is certainly enough evidence to suggest that the threat of moving baseball out of Minnesota (One t), a few years back, by the commissioner of baseball, who is also a part owner of the Milwaukee franchise, and a long time friend of Pohland, was being used as leverage to get a new stadium built.
Incidentally, one of the most beautiful new parks
(San Francisco), was built 100% on private funding.
Conspiricy theories aside, the Twins management, specifically, (GM Ryan), has been able to field a competive team with a $50,000,000 budget versus over $200,000,000 the Yankees have to work with.
They have done it the old fashioned way. Outstanding attention to detail in their scouting, first class minor league operation, etc. etc.
Smoke and Mirrors.
In my opinion, I do believe, in the long run a Major League stadium in your down-town area would pay financial dividends to the city eventually. (Let's face it, the Metro-Dome is not a very good place for baseball).
San Francisco, even though they have a terrible team (especially without Bonds), continue to sell out almost every game. (Candlestick, their old park had one of the lowest fan base in the Majors).
Of course, for me personally, the park in San Francisco makes no difference. I'm not about to leave the Sierras to fight the traffic in San Francisco to go to a ball-game
Old 06-11-2005, 12:22 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

I've gone to see the giants a few times from here in the central valley. One of my ex's has season tickets and her current doesnt like baseball that much. If it was in oakland I'm not sure I'd bother...half the fun is the ferry boat ride across the bay that docks right at the stadium. The other half is the really good food there. Oh yeah, theres also baseball. I've been to candlestick and the colliseum for both baseball and football games. Not sure I'd bother to take the drive down there to go to either stadium again.

Look at Robert Kraft...built his own stadium to house the patriots. Contrast that with someone who wants to mooch off the public to keep the team in town. Not to mention his good ownership made a rather major change in the organization and its ability to win. Check out what happened to the 49'ers under their new ownership. I guess that proves to some degree how important top management really is
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 06-11-2005, 12:27 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

You know, I just don't know if a dowtown ball park does make the city money in the long term. After Petco park (Padre's new stadium) went in, they interviewed the local resturant owners in the gaslamp district (just the name of the touristy area around the ballpark) to see if business had picked up. Every owner said, "no, we are mobbed an hour before the game and then we are empty the rest of the night!"

Still, that part of town used to be a little sketchy, and now it's just wonderful. Wondeful place to go, awesome stadium. Intangible benefits?

CT I agree, fund the schools before you give some 90 year old another billion dollar handout!
Old 06-11-2005, 12:33 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Come on laurence...anyone who ever played "the sims" knows that adding a stadium to a town provides positive improvement in quality of life and causes more tax payers to move into a city you've built
Old 06-11-2005, 12:42 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

That game took a year of my life! Why don't we build some Arcologies and increase it even more!
Old 06-11-2005, 12:50 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Ok you just ran over my knowledge of this whole thing. I got a copy of the original 'sims' about a hundred years ago and installed it on my old IBM PC/XT. The next time I looked up the clock said it was 3am. Actually never touched it again.