Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

I love reading BUT the Harry Potter stuff doesn't do it for me
Old 07-20-2007, 06:54 PM   #1
gone traveling

I love reading BUT the Harry Potter stuff doesn't do it for me

Anyone else feel this way?

I just could never get involved with the books, I tried and really could not get thru book one or two after 50 pages. even the movies are well Eh...
dumpster56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-20-2007, 07:05 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I really enjoyed the first book, the others not as much.

It would have been nice if Rowling had held out, resisted the pressure, and not allowed them to make the movies etc.
Old 07-20-2007, 07:33 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

Nope! Love reading! Love Harry Potter!
mb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 07:42 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I love to read and can't wait to start the new HP. I figure I have stuck with him thru 6 books so I have to read the 7th so I know what happens to him. I think he will die, so I will have my box of tissues ready to mop up my tears.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 08:32 AM   #5
Gone but not forgotten

I read everything even cereal boxes when desperate but Harry Potter has held no appeal for me .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 12:02 PM   #6

I love reading, and am truly voracious -- magazines, novels, technical manuals, operator's guides, forums, heck, I've even read Cosmo and a Bodice ripper in my time.

And while I applaud the success of the Potter series both for it's apparent merit, and because it has kids reading again, I read the first couple of chapters of the first book on it's initial release and did not find it compelling at all. While not 'poorly' written, I did not find it to be particularly imaginative and simply did not have sufficient interest to complete it, nor to go to the movies (went to one with GF & her kids).

I thought I was the only one on the planet, and simply remained silent, lest I be taken in as a heretic "muggle"!

I do not, however, begrudge anyone their Potter-mania -- "Godspeed, Potternauts!"
DRiP Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 02:23 PM   #7

We must be the only people in the US/world not frantically reading the book! I love to read, but HP doesn't do it for me at all.

I think it's great that HP has kids reading, but I'm not sure it translates into any reading beyond HP. Would be interesting to see if the kids who stood in line for hours have read any other books while waiting for this to come out.

In suburban Atlanta where I live, there is a woman who feels very stronly about HP...that it's EVIL and should not be allowed in school libraries because it "teaches witchcraft" and not Christianity. This woman is constantly fighting a (so far) losing legal battle. Good thing she wasn't around when Mickey Mouse and other characters were "performing witchcraft" in Fantasia!
Old 07-21-2007, 02:55 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

I read the first few after they had been out for a while. A friend's daughter loaned them to me. I agree with Al that the first was the best. I was interested enough to read them all and will read the most recent book at some point.

The movies aren't so hot.

I am glad it gets kids into reading, but there are many series I like better and I think wear pretty well even though I read them when I was a kid. The Wrinkle in Time books, Asimov's Foundation series, the black stallion series, for example.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 03:05 PM   #9

My daughter is a HP fan from the beginning - she grew up with Harry. She has always tried to get me to read the books. I did try reading the first one, but, couldn't get past all of the new terms, like muggles and the strange names. I did kinda enjoy the movies just like I kinda enjoyed the kid's movies when my daughter was small.

My daughter was in HP overdrive last night and I tagged along. We went to Barnes and Noble to get a number at 6:00 and there was a line snaking waaay back, we gave up. So...went to the HP movie....then back to B&N for a number. Then I went home to bed and my daughter went back to B&N with a friend to get her book. I think she got home about 1:30 am and read until 3:00 am. I don't get it.
happy2bretired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 03:50 PM   #10

I love to read but don't understand the HP hype either. I'm glad it's getting kids to read but are they reading anything besides HP? I read the whole BLack Stallion series, even have a couple of books someone bought me as gifts when I was a kid. I loved the program they had at our school to buy paper backs, I would come home with arm fulls and read for hours. I can't wait to retire so I can read as much as I like.

Dogs aren't our whole lives, but they make our lives whole. - Roger Caras
Outtahere is offline   Reply With Quote