Join Early Retirement Today

i love soup
Old 01-17-2007, 01:10 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

i love soup

my cousin and i love cabbage soup but we only finally got our hands on a good recipe when she was dating this chef a few years ago. it is precisely the flavor we we'd been looking for.

i'll show you my favorite soup recipe if you show me yours...

cabbage soup

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 large onion chopped (spoon size)
1.5 tablespoons caraway seed
4 cloves garlic minced (i add more)
1 two lb head cabbage chopped (spoon size)
1 twenty8 oz can crush or diced tomato
2 cups tomato puree (i use 2 small cans sauce)
1 cup florida crystal (unrefined sugar)
1/2 to 3/4 cup lemon juice
6 cups water or tomato juice (i go about 1/2 & 1/2)
1 teaspoon black pepper
3 bay leaves

heat oil, saute over medium high onion, caraway & garlic, add cabbage for one minute, add remaining, bring to boil
recipe says simmer one hour until tender but i like it better crunchy so i just bring to boil, simmer for 10 minutes and then let it rest. add water if too thick. enjoy.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: i love soup
Old 01-17-2007, 01:16 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We'll try that, thanks. Last night we had butternut squash soup, something we have every few weeks. Super good, even if you're not a squash type person.

DW says there's no recipe. She peels and cubes the squash, and then sautes onion, adds it along with some beef broth, cooks it 20 minutes till soft, then purees it.
Old 01-17-2007, 02:03 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks....

Expect to love it. No added salt. I'm sure some of the ingredients have sodium, but on the surface it looks good for us restricted-sodium folks. Hard to find soup without a lot of salt in it.

Old 01-17-2007, 02:34 PM   #4

i didn't put any salt in the cabbage. i think the sugar takes the place of salt in that.

t.a. you just reminded me of a really good butternut squash soup i had in a restaurant once. never tried making it. though for some reason i picture it with just a dash of nutmeg. mmmmmm.

just checked my old faithful jane brody's good food book ("living the high carb way". hmmm 1985, must've been before the winds changed). she says of squash soup "especially rich in beta-carotene (the chemical parent to vitamin a), a cancer-fighting nutrient....this soup freezes well." and yup, she adds nutmeg to taste, also skim milk & garlic & a tablespoon of butter.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
Old 01-17-2007, 03:45 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

http://early-retirement.org/forums/i...hp?topic=746.0

I've been around here too long. Ask a question, I can point out a post where theres a good answer or something in context... :P
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 03:48 PM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

This is one of my favorites, good for a cold winter evening.
Makes a fairly large batch, serves 6 or more.
Freezes well too.

Brown Jug Soup

* 2 cups potatoes, diced or chopped into small pieces
* 1 cup celery, chopped
* 1 cup onions, chopped
* 1 quart hot water
* 3 cubes or teaspoons chicken bouillon
* 2 10-1/2 oz cans cream of chicken soup, undiluted
* 1 pound Velveeta cheese, chunked
* 1 10 oz or larger package of frozen cauliflower
* 1 10 oz or larger package of frozen broccoli
* Salt and pepper to taste

Mix onion, potatoes, celery, bouillon and hot water in a fairly large sauce pan, and cook for 20 minutes. Add frozen veggies, soup, salt, pepper and cheese and stir until well blended.

Reduce the heat and simmer on low to medium-low heat until the cheese is melted, stirring a few times and keeping the heat low so the cheese doesn't stick. When the vegetables are as done as you like them and the soup is hot, it's done!
Old 01-17-2007, 05:42 PM   #7

--Progresso soup, Costco, about $1.10/can (clam chowder, noodle soup, beef barley)

1) Pop top
2) Eat
Old 01-17-2007, 07:25 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Little tip I worked out a few years ago that always works great.

If you like dumplings in your soup but just arent interested in the sifting of flour and whatnot, use my shortcut. Buy a tube of pop-n-fresh biscuits, cut them into chunks and throw them into your stew or soup and simmer for 8-10 minutes or until you get a clean toothpick test.

If you like them denser and chewy, roll them in your palms for a few seconds and compress a bit. Light and fluffy, just cut the small size biscuits in half or the 'grands' size in quarters or thirds and toss them in.

Nearly instant chicken and dumplings: can or jar of chicken gravy, can of chicken stock or a cup of milk, small can of mixed vegetables or a handful of frozen...bring to a boil, add can of chicken breast, top with biscuits from a small can of pop-n-fresh, cover and simmer for about 8 more minutes. Voila.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 01-17-2007, 10:27 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

I love it when people post their favorite recipes. I gotta try these! The butternut squash soup and Thai Stew sound especially yummy.
Toejam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 11:15 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Ah...butternut squash soup...came up with a recipe last year and my wife clamors for it on a regular basis.

Its easy...

Peel, seed and cut 2-3lbs of butternut squash into 1" or so chunks. While you're doing that, bring 4-5 cups of chicken stock to a simmer. Add 2 teaspoons of brown sugar, a half teaspoon turmeric, 4-6 whole star anise and 1 cup of yellow split peas to that and simmer about 15-20 minutes. You'll just about be done fiddling with the squash by then. Add the squash and simmer another 15-20 minutes.

Thats your soup base, now for the extremely fattening "something extra". I've always liked a little fresh condiment to go with a rich hearty soup...the classic 'gremolata' of parsley, fresh chopped garlic and lemon zest/juice on top of a long simmered beef stew or my italian peppered beef stew is a great example.

This one involves melting a stick of butter in a pan over medium heat...wait until it stops foaming, then add a couple of teaspoons of cumin seeds and let toast for a half minute...add a couple of thinly sliced Serrano chilis and give another half minute...add a couple of teaspoons of freshly grated ginger and remove from the heat...its done. I keep the ginger in the freezer and grate with a fine microplane zester...works like a charm and you never have to run out for fresh ginger, just keep a knob in the freezer. After you pull the pan off the heat, toss in a handful of dry basil leaves...chop them if they're large...just wilting the leaves in the still hot butter.

Top the split pea and butternut squash soup with a healthy spoonful or two of the cumin/chili/ginger/basic butter.

Keeps well and is better the next day. Great source of fiber.
Old 01-18-2007, 09:04 AM   #11

Spicy Seafood Chowder

-one onion
-couple stalks celery
-couple cloves garlic

Chop and saute in olive oil

-one big can hominy
-a cup of corn
-one small can chiles (ortega or hotter if you like)
-one can chopped tomatoes
-one big can enchilada sauce (or tomato sauce)
-two cups water
-couple diced potatoes (optional)

Add this stuff, bring to a boil and simmer for 10 minutes

-1/2 to 3/4 lb each of your three favorite seafoods, bite sized (I like tilapia filets, squid, and scallops, but salmon and shrimp are good, too)

Add the seafood, salt and pepper to taste, and simmer another 10 minutes. If it's not spicy enough you can add a little cayenne pepper as well. Mmmmm, good with piping hot french bread!
scrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 09:13 AM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

You just made my day. I now have a plan to save money in the coming year. Cabbage soup! Whata plan.
lowflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 09:27 AM   #13

Note for the very thrifty: cabbage soup in not a place for using recycled dryer sheets! :P
scrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 09:42 AM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

I made this last night....very healthful....tasty.

Mushroom Onion Soup

Ingredients:
2 cups fresh mushrooms
2 medium onions, chopped
2 carrots, diced
5 cloves garlic, minced (or more)
2 cans low-sodium beef (or chicken) broth
1 cup water (more, if too dry)
½ tsp. pepper
1/3 cup uncooked long grain rice
1 bay leaf
1 tsp. dried parsley
1 tsp. Red pepper sauce (optional)

Directions:
Trim and slice mushrooms. Saute’ mushrooms, onions, carrots, and garlic in water with a little olive oil. Add other ingredients and cook, stirring occasionally, until mixture boils. Simmer for 15-20 minutes or until the rice is tender. Discard bay leaf.

Old 01-18-2007, 04:38 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyclingInvestor
Progresso soup, Costco, about $1.10/can (clam chowder, noodle soup, beef barley)
dewd, yer retired. spend some time in the kitchen. try some homemade soup. you'll never open a can of progresso again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute Fuzzy Bunny
Add 2 teaspoons of brown sugar, a half teaspoon turmeric, 4-6 whole star anise and 1 cup of yellow split peas to that and simmer about 15-20 minutes.
this is interesting. sort of american country retiring to southeast asia. nice fusion. gonna try it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain_Mike
I made this last night....very healthful....tasty.

Mushroom Onion Soup
i can sub vegie broth. ok, this works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowflyer
You just made my day. I now have a plan to save money in the coming year. Cabbage soup! Whata plan.
cabbage soup

fly to the mediterranean, pick up a head of cabbage & chop
now head down to egypt and get yourself a bag of onions. chop them too.
on your way back, stop in europe for some caraway.
take short detour to peru for some nice tomato. chop some, squeeze the rest.
ok, now combine all ingredients & stir with that silver spoon you were raised with.

Old 01-19-2007, 01:00 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

What about an ER-Forum cookbook? I might be willing to compile it into a PDF file.

Here's what we had last night:

Clam'n Salmon Choweder

.5 pounds fresh salmon filet
1 can Campbell's New England Clam Chowder
Milk and half and half

Cut the salmon filet into chunks about .5 x. .5 x 1 inch, sautee in olive oil until browned.
Prepare the soup per directions on can, using combination of 1% milk and half-and-half.
Put the salmon chunks in the soup.
Old 01-19-2007, 01:27 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

I've been thinking of putting together a personal cookbook for years. I've got a drawer just stuffed with recipes scrawled on paper, magazine pages, xeroxed sheets, etc. It'd be a godsend to just spend a day or two organizing and digitizing it into something I can print out once these individual sheets are all obscured by one too many food stains...
Old 01-19-2007, 05:33 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

The heck with soup. DW and I just had a marinated flank steak, Parmesan risotto, and asparagus.
Old 01-23-2007, 09:27 PM   #19

I am another soup lover and I tried your cabbage soup recipe. It was delicious! Thanks!
Dreamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 11:49 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Rosemary Mushroom Soup
1 cup fresh sliced mushrooms
2 garlic cloves, minced
¼ cup butter or margarine
1 can (10¾ oz.) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
1 cup half-and-half cream
1 pound round steak
1 tablespoon minced fresh rosemary or 1 tsp. dried rosemary, crushed
½ teaspoon paprika
2 tablespoons minced chives
2 cups beef broth

In a large saucepan, sauté the mushrooms and garlic in butter until tender. Cut up steak and brown with mushrooms. Stir in the mushroom soup, cream, rosemary and paprika (optional); cook in crock pot all day and serve over rice or pasta. Sprinkle with minced chives (optional).
Yield: 3 servings