Join Early Retirement Today

I’m going to write a book
Old 01-27-2018, 09:28 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Not a typical book, but a travel / photo book of US 66. I’m taking photos and drawing lots of maps to be included in the book. It will basically show the historical alignments of US 66 with lots of current photos.

This will take a couple of years. I’m going to travel segments of the route taking photos, gathering history and preparing maps.

I’m not overly creative or artistic, but looking to create something simple. Something on the lines of a coffee table book.

I’m thinking of doing the whole thing in black and white. I’m looking into publishing options now, but I’m thinking of using something like blurb and maybe sell through Amazon.

I really don’t care if I sell many books or make much money.

I’ve read Trombone Al’s threads on book publishing and picked up a few tips there.

Anyone have any feelings on how appealing a black and white only photo/ map book would be? Or know of any simple methods other than Blurb in preparing such a book?
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-27-2018, 09:30 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Anyone have any feelings on how appealing a black and white only photo/ map book would be?
This guy seemed to be relatively successful:

http://anseladams.com/

Good luck..love the idea!

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 09:35 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

That’s partially where I got the idea. I’m a huge Ansel Adams fan and have several books of his works. Thanks for the reminder - I need to look at these books in a different way - not just the photos, but the layout.
Old 01-27-2018, 09:39 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
That’s partially where I got the idea. I’m a huge Ansel Adams fan and have several books of his works. Thanks for the reminder - I need to look at these books in a different way - not just the photos, but the layout.
Some things, such as the standard 'old car/truck in the weeds' type presentation, are so much more impactful in B&W.

Old 01-27-2018, 09:46 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
Some things, such as the standard 'old car/truck in the weeds' type presentation, are so much more impactful in B&W.

I agree. And that will be the tone of the subject matter. I’m concentrating on ‘old’.
Old 01-27-2018, 09:59 AM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I agree on the Black and White as it adds to the nostalgia.
Old 01-27-2018, 10:12 AM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

I have (what I think is ) a neat idea for you.

If you are handy with photo-editing (or know someone cheap who is), you could start the book out in black and white and as the book progresses, slowly add bits of color to the photos so that at the end you have really bright (photo selection important) colorful images. Kind of like that Disney cruise meal if you've ever been on it.

You could do the selective object coloring like this one

....or you could just fade it in on the whole image bit by bit (pastels, etc.)

Just a thought.
Old 01-27-2018, 10:17 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

^ thanks for the idea. That is actually easier to do than it looks. Lightroom software allows the user to selectively turn on and off individual colors.
Old 01-27-2018, 10:19 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

This is a rough idea of photo style
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 33047769194_23764dd165_o.jpg (578.2 KB, 28 views)
Old 01-27-2018, 10:21 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Here's one DW took in Leon, Spain, in 2016:

I like FIREmenow's suggestion/example.

Old 01-27-2018, 10:22 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Yep that’s what I’m looking for
Old 01-27-2018, 10:24 AM   #12

Quote:
That's a great photo! It would look cool with just that car colored baby-blue (of that era) or something......
Old 01-27-2018, 10:25 AM   #13
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREmenow View Post
I have (what I think is ) a neat idea for you.

If you are handy with photo-editing (or know someone cheap who is), you could start the book out in black and white and as the book progresses, slowly add bits of color to the photos so that at the end you have really bright (photo selection important) colorful images. Kind of like that Disney cruise meal if you've ever been on it.

You could do the selective object coloring like this one

....or you could just fade it in on the whole image bit by bit (pastels, etc.)

Just a thought.
Thumbs up. That is a terrific suggestion.
CoolRich59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 10:26 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

That would certainly add some interest!
Old 01-27-2018, 11:06 AM   #15

A nice place to start would be at the Route 66 Diner located in Bar Harbor, Maine. I didn't think the food was all that good - but they do have some interesting collectibles around the restaurant.

If you do go to Bar Harbor, make sure you take in Acadia National Park.

I
IMATERP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 11:35 AM   #16

Quote:
^ thanks for the idea. That is actually easier to do than it looks. Lightroom software allows the user to selectively turn on and off individual colors.
Re selections, while the learning curve is steep, the pen tool in Photoshop is terrific for that, far exceeding any pixel-based selection tool. It may have been the photographer's intent, but the bleeding red on the right side of the "box office" sign screams "sloppy" to me. That won't happen with the pen tool unless you want it to. I cut out the lunchbox from the rest of the photo practicing with the pen tool.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lunchbox (1 of 1).jpg (80.2 KB, 20 views)
Old 01-27-2018, 11:39 AM   #17

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Re selections, while the learning curve is steep, the pen tool in Photoshop is terrific for that, far exceeding any pixel-based selection tool. It may have been the photographer's intent, but the bleeding red on the right side of the "box office" sign screams "sloppy" to me. That won't happen with the pen tool unless you want it to. I cut out the lunchbox from the rest of the photo practicing with the pen tool.
Yeah, there's the quick-and-dirty app-based "color splash" models, then there's the detailed effort. Here's a 20 minute attempt....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg carblue2 (Medium).jpg (237.5 KB, 21 views)
Old 01-27-2018, 01:09 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMATERP View Post
A nice place to start would be at the Route 66 Diner located in Bar Harbor, Maine. I didn't think the food was all that good - but they do have some interesting collectibles around the restaurant.

If you do go to Bar Harbor, make sure you take in Acadia National Park.

I

Thanks for the tip. Just went through Maine- I’ll have to go back for Bar Harbor and Acadia.
Old 01-27-2018, 01:12 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks Walt & Firemenow - got Photoshop a little while ago- I’ll check out the pen tool. That Plymouth looks sweet in that blue.
Old 01-27-2018, 02:21 PM   #20

Quote:
Thanks Walt & Firemenow - got Photoshop a little while ago- I’ll check out the pen tool. That Plymouth looks sweet in that blue.
I used 2 editing layers and a "mask" (in Paint.net). You can read about how to do it in Photoshop.