I May Need to Learn How To Scribble My Name

easysurfer

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I got my RealID driver's license in the mail today. So, now I've have an official DL to prove I am who I am.

Except, I noticed that the captured signature is more like a scribbled type you'd see when signing with one of those "plastic pens" at a grocery store than my usual more legible signature.

I hope signatures as proof aren't as important anymore. After all, this is a RealID, where I had to furnish lots of documentation to get one.

But, if I was to sign something like I regular do, on a scale of 1-10 as for same signature as on the card, I give about a 5 :(.

Registry of records & Vital statics in some areas provide a Birth, Marriage, Divorce, or Death Certificate & your Gov.personnel.IDFile.;)

for the last 20 plus years my signature is a scribble. I get a comment on it now and then. I just say I need to get paid like a Dr for this. But I guess I'm in the clear for Real ID

I'm a scribbler too. Just got my Real Id yesterday. Signature on it is identical to my hand written signature. but it is so small I can hardly see it.

The signature on my new RealID DL looks like an attempt made by an old etch-a-sketch toys used as a kid. The first name is legible but doesn't really match my regular writing. The last name is just a scribble.

I scribble, went to get something out of the safe deposit box this week. Everyone else has my signature.

Maybe they employed a signature distortion algorithm to translate your actual signature to the one shown. That way, someone could not commit identity theft by stealing your card and simply learning to copy the signature on it.

Scribbling my signature is fun, makes me feel important. Seems a fingerprint impression is on the horizon. Face recognition is already in the works. How else can we prove who we are? DNA test?

I got my RealID driver's license in the mail today. So, now I've have an official DL to prove I am who I am.

Except, I noticed that the captured signature is more important like a scribbled type you'd see when signing with one of those "plastic pens" at a grocery store than my usual more legible signature.

What's even worse is when they ask you to do it with your finger! Completely unrecognizable!

I'm scribbler too. I'm opting out of getting RealID driver's license, still will keep my passport up to date though.

No one ever looks at the signatures anymore. I think it only comes into play if what you signed is contested by someone, and that rarely happens.

I notice that grade school kids no longer are taught "cursive" writing in school. Thus, many kids have no clue how to "sign" their name because they only know how to print. Not sure how to resolve this other than they need to learn on their own.

I'm scribbler too. I'm opting out of getting RealID driver's license, still will keep my passport up to date though.
Oregon is still working on a compliant RealID license and I think they were given until (IIRC) some time in 2020. My DL expires in 2026 and my passport in 2027, so I'll just use my passport until the state (should) have the RealID compliant licenses by the time it needs renewal.

Last edited:
Aha, I just got my RealID a month or so ago. I too was surprised, they asked me to sign, but I hadn't realized it was THE signature going onto my ID...not to mention the touch pad I was using to sign...made it really look like a scribble, Does not even resemble my signature.

Maybe they employed a signature distortion algorithm to translate your actual signature to the one shown. That way, someone could not commit identity theft by stealing your card and simply learning to copy the signature on it.

Crossed my mind too as maybe a security measure. But I think more likely for efficiency as once signed with their "etch-a-sketch", seems like the signal is digitally stored instead of having someone needing to scan a pen written signature.

Aha, I just got my RealID a month or so ago. I too was surprised, they asked me to sign, but I hadn't realized it was THE signature going onto my ID...not to mention the touch pad I was using to sign...made it really look like a scribble, Does not even resemble my signature.

I'm glad not only me that has a scribbled signature. I was thinking the same. Went ahead and signed then only after the fact realized that's the signature going on my ID.

Kentucky still doesn't have the new ID ready yet either. But, being Kentucky, that's not really a surprise....

I have a scribbled signature, my wife does not.

When we returned to England in 2016 we went into our bank to do a change of address and as well as our passports for ids they asked us a series of security questions to validate that we were who we said we were. The change of address card required our signatures and they told me that mine bore no resemblance to the one on file from when we opened our account 30 years earlier in 1986. They had me do a new signature card so they could update their records.

Our new British licenses have our current signatures on them, but these days we rarely sign for anything. It is all chip and PIN or Face ID or fingerprints. Recently I wrote a physical check to pay for my season ticket at our local, very small, soccer club. It is the only check I write each year.

Back
Top Bottom