Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

I May Need to Learn How To Scribble My Name
Old 08-22-2019, 06:34 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I May Need to Learn How To Scribble My Name

I got my RealID driver's license in the mail today. So, now I've have an official DL to prove I am who I am.

Except, I noticed that the captured signature is more like a scribbled type you'd see when signing with one of those "plastic pens" at a grocery store than my usual more legible signature.

I hope signatures as proof aren't as important anymore. After all, this is a RealID, where I had to furnish lots of documentation to get one.

But, if I was to sign something like I regular do, on a scale of 1-10 as for same signature as on the card, I give about a 5 .
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2019, 06:51 PM   #2
gone traveling

Registry of records & Vital statics in some areas provide a Birth, Marriage, Divorce, or Death Certificate & your Gov.personnel.IDFile.
bolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 10:25 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

for the last 20 plus years my signature is a scribble. I get a comment on it now and then. I just say I need to get paid like a Dr for this. But I guess I'm in the clear for Real ID
Scrapr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 11:22 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I'm a scribbler too. Just got my Real Id yesterday. Signature on it is identical to my hand written signature. but it is so small I can hardly see it.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 07:09 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

The signature on my new RealID DL looks like an attempt made by an old etch-a-sketch toys used as a kid. The first name is legible but doesn't really match my regular writing. The last name is just a scribble.
Old 08-23-2019, 07:31 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

I scribble, went to get something out of the safe deposit box this week. Everyone else has my signature.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 07:54 AM   #7
Administrator

Maybe they employed a signature distortion algorithm to translate your actual signature to the one shown. That way, someone could not commit identity theft by stealing your card and simply learning to copy the signature on it.
Old 08-23-2019, 07:58 AM   #8

Scribbling my signature is fun, makes me feel important. Seems a fingerprint impression is on the horizon. Face recognition is already in the works. How else can we prove who we are? DNA test?

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Rianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 08:23 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
I got my RealID driver's license in the mail today. So, now I've have an official DL to prove I am who I am.

Except, I noticed that the captured signature is more important like a scribbled type you'd see when signing with one of those "plastic pens" at a grocery store than my usual more legible signature.
What's even worse is when they ask you to do it with your finger! Completely unrecognizable!
Old 08-23-2019, 08:33 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

I'm scribbler too. I'm opting out of getting RealID driver's license, still will keep my passport up to date though.
street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 09:23 AM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

No one ever looks at the signatures anymore. I think it only comes into play if what you signed is contested by someone, and that rarely happens.
Dalmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 09:31 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
I notice that grade school kids no longer are taught "cursive" writing in school. Thus, many kids have no clue how to "sign" their name because they only know how to print. Not sure how to resolve this other than they need to learn on their own.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 09:39 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by street View Post
I'm scribbler too. I'm opting out of getting RealID driver's license, still will keep my passport up to date though.
Oregon is still working on a compliant RealID license and I think they were given until (IIRC) some time in 2020. My DL expires in 2026 and my passport in 2027, so I'll just use my passport until the state (should) have the RealID compliant licenses by the time it needs renewal.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 09:42 AM   #14

Aha, I just got my RealID a month or so ago. I too was surprised, they asked me to sign, but I hadn't realized it was THE signature going onto my ID...not to mention the touch pad I was using to sign...made it really look like a scribble, Does not even resemble my signature.
Old 08-23-2019, 09:52 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
Maybe they employed a signature distortion algorithm to translate your actual signature to the one shown. That way, someone could not commit identity theft by stealing your card and simply learning to copy the signature on it.
Crossed my mind too as maybe a security measure. But I think more likely for efficiency as once signed with their "etch-a-sketch", seems like the signal is digitally stored instead of having someone needing to scan a pen written signature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgtest View Post
Aha, I just got my RealID a month or so ago. I too was surprised, they asked me to sign, but I hadn't realized it was THE signature going onto my ID...not to mention the touch pad I was using to sign...made it really look like a scribble, Does not even resemble my signature.
I'm glad not only me that has a scribbled signature. I was thinking the same. Went ahead and signed then only after the fact realized that's the signature going on my ID.
Old 08-23-2019, 10:17 AM   #16
Full time employment: Posting here.

Kentucky still doesn't have the new ID ready yet either. But, being Kentucky, that's not really a surprise....
Masquernom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 01:28 PM   #17
Administrator

I have a scribbled signature, my wife does not.

When we returned to England in 2016 we went into our bank to do a change of address and as well as our passports for ids they asked us a series of security questions to validate that we were who we said we were. The change of address card required our signatures and they told me that mine bore no resemblance to the one on file from when we opened our account 30 years earlier in 1986. They had me do a new signature card so they could update their records.

Our new British licenses have our current signatures on them, but these days we rarely sign for anything. It is all chip and PIN or Face ID or fingerprints. Recently I wrote a physical check to pay for my season ticket at our local, very small, soccer club. It is the only check I write each year.