Join Early Retirement Today

Re: I need a car...
Old 04-13-2005, 07:20 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Toyota. Then another Toyota.

My first car was a Chevy Vega. We won't talk about that, but I did drive it for 12 years.

Then I bought a Tercel Wagon in 1988. Drove it until 1997. Never a single repair other than mufflers. The friend I sold it to still drives it daily and has never had a repair. When I see him, I wonder why I sold it.

But I saw the new Rav4's when they first came out - in purple, of course - so I bought that in '97. Just turned over 100,000 last month and very few maintenance issues. One major engine repair, but that was sort of self-inflicted (long story - don't let your friends do your tune-ups).

Anyway, I think the Rav would probably last another 10 years, but I'm now lusting after a Highlander Hybrid if they ever come out. I try to keep the car-buying to every 10 years, and then it's a matter of getting bored, wanting new, rather than wearing out.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-13-2005, 07:53 AM   #22

You know, I really like our Jeeps. I bought my first
in 1998 because I needed a 4X4. I had no plan to
buy one, it just happened. It already had 98000
miles. It now has 208000. Recently we acquired another one. I have no reporrts from other Jeep owners
but ours have been good. BTW, I have wanted a Jeep
Wrangler for at least 20 years. Never could find one
with the features I wanted at a price I would pay.
It appears that nice used Wranglers are in very high
demand.

JG

Old 04-14-2005, 05:25 AM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Send a message via AIM to yelnad Send a message via Yahoo to yelnad

I had heard that the most expensive parts were on Jeeps. Not true?
Old 04-14-2005, 07:32 AM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

I have a Jeep Grand Cherokee, it's been solid as a rock (they don't offer a 100k bumper to bumper if they think they'll have to pay out). I just finished reading the millionaire next door and it stated the most popular SUV among frugal millionairs was the Jeep GC, since they buy their vehicles "by the pound". They have been building that 4 litre in line six engine forever, probably worked out the kinks by now.
Old 04-14-2005, 10:39 AM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I dont know how expensive jeep parts are, but if you want to say "WOW" at least 14 times in a row, look at the cost of body parts and major repairs on a BMW...

Besides high part costs, the engineering appears to have been done to maximize labor costs.

I had a bad fuel pump in my convertible, figured I'd swap it out in a few hours. The directions started off, condensed "remove the drive shaft. remove the exhaust system. drain and lower fuel tank'.

I ended up cutting a hole in the floor under the rear seat over the fuel pump, replacing it, and screwing a piece of sheet metal back over the hole.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 03:45 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Ai-yai-yai!!!! We have been frugal, we have been good, but we wanted to reward ourselves next year when we replace our vw.....with a used BMW convertible.....uh, oh.....
Old 04-15-2005, 10:21 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

If you didnt like the VW maintenance costs, you aint gonna like BMW's.

If you DO decide to get a convertible, I have a small piece of advice...

Under the rear seat theres a little red handle attached to a wire that runs into the sheet metal with a cheesy little sign attached to it that says "Do not pull".

There will be a strange and magical attraction to it. Dont pull it.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 04-15-2005, 12:55 PM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Now you can't leave me hanging! Ejector seat? Oil slick? Smoke screen?
Old 04-15-2005, 04:15 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Disengages the convertible top motor from the top, so it can be put up and down manually in the event the motor breaks.

Nowhere in my manual did it say what it was or why you would use it.

So I pulled it.

The dealer said it would cost $500 to 'resync the motor with the top'. To which I responded with one of cut-throats favorite two-word sayings.

Six months later I discovered a thing on the 'net that said you push the motor coupling back in, and do something funny with the key like turn it off and on 3 times, waiting 2 seconds per on/off while holding the 'top up' button and that resyncs it.

Almost.

Fortunately I never drove it with the top up, and the guy I sold it to wanted to put a new top on it anyhow...so it became HIS problem
Old 04-15-2005, 04:21 PM   #30

I was coming home from Texas in my big macho 1997 Dodge Ram pickup when I experienced some problems.
I limped home and called the local Dodge dealer. He looked it over and quoted me $1500+. I said
"No thanks". Took it to my "shade tree" mechanic
who fixed EVERYTHING for $150.00. Man, I love that
guy.

JG