Join Early Retirement Today

I need a new dryer
Old 06-02-2005, 01:13 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

I need a new dryer

* Since we've already talked about cars and refrigerators ... my 18-yr-old GE dryer isn't doing the job anymore, and I don't want to put $$ into it.* Anyone have a brand they like?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: I need a new dryer
Old 06-02-2005, 01:55 AM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

That hooey on my profile about my being a "dryer sheet aficianado" notwithstanding, I don't actually OWN a dryer.* I bought the water-saving washer first, and started hanging laundry in the backyard while I shopped for an efficient dryer.* That was three years ago and I find that I LIKE hanging the wash.* It's really relaxing, and the sun and wind are the most efficient drying methods I've yet to find.

It helps to be in Northern California, where it's sunny much of the time, but in the winter the clothes go underneath the patio or in the garage, and dry every bit as well.

Not for everyone, but you CANNOT beat that line-dried freshness AND the cost savings.* Depending upon your weather, you might try it for a little while to see if you can get used to it.

I just hope they don't throw me off this forum for my failure to support the dryer sheet industry!

Caroline

Old 06-02-2005, 07:36 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Have a whirlpool, but have only used it about 3 times in the past two years since bought through the paper classifieds.
Like Caroline, we line dry, but I do it in the living room (cause there is lots of space) on those foldable drying racks that we shipped back from when we lived in Europe. Also acts as a low cost humidifier in the dry months and air fresherizer year round.
Old 06-02-2005, 07:55 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

I had my first dryer for about 17 years. I've since replaced it 2 more times. I don't think they make things to last anymore. I would go for one that has just the minimum amount of features that you want and expect it to last 3-5 years.
Old 06-02-2005, 07:58 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Our elderly dryer died the day before our daughter was born. For under $300 all-in, Costco delivered and installed a Kirkland brand dryer. Works just fine, although it is a basic model without lots of useless doodads. Whirlpool makes Costco's house brand dryers, FYI.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 08:33 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Hurricane George took out the last clothesline. Whirlpool dryer, A/C/window units, sattelite tv, DSL lite, laptop computer,etc.

Waiting for the ER police to show up and confiscate my 'frugal license.'

Still recycle dryer sheets though.
Old 06-02-2005, 08:38 AM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
my 18-yr-old GE dryer isn't doing the job anymore, and I don't want to put $$ into it.
Didn't know GE had anything that lasted that long.

My vote slightly used Whirlpool. People move and get rid of good crap all the time. Value investor's approach I presume.
Old 06-02-2005, 09:15 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Back in the goodle days, I managed to bring a bumble bee in with my line-dried towels. Why is the clothes basket buzzing??

My Hot Point set has been "buzzing" along for about nine years now, averaging probably six loads per week. Orginal cost ~$700.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 10:16 AM   #9
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoyT
Since we've already talked about cars and refrigerators ... my 18-yr-old GE dryer isn't doing the job anymore, and I don't want to put $$ into it. Anyone have a brand they like?
Are you sure the dryer vent and dryer innards aren't just clogged with lint? A good cleaning of the air path through the dryer fan and the exhaust duct may fix everything. Or it may not, but it's good to do, anyway. The lint screen lets a lot go by over 18 years. If the heat element is heating and the blower/tumbler motor is turning then about the only other reason it would run but not dry is restricted airflow.

And unlike cooling or water-using appliances I don't think new dryers are any more efficient than the old ones.
Old 06-02-2005, 10:41 AM   #10

Send a message via ICQ to Marshac Send a message via AIM to Marshac Send a message via Yahoo to Marshac

I had to buy a washer and dryer last year, and ended up getting the GE Harmony series

Good things:
No agitator
Stainless steel insides
HUGE capacity, and still water/energy friendly (it detects the load, and adjusts the water automatically)
The washer communicates with the dryer telling it how much it washed, and what type of fabric
Fast dry time

Bad things:
Other than price, can't think of much
Old 06-02-2005, 11:03 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoyT
* Since we've already talked about cars and refrigerators ... my 18-yr-old GE dryer isn't doing the job anymore, and I don't want to put $$ into it.* Anyone have a brand they like?
Dryers usually either work or they don't-- nothing in between-- and I've had them last over three decades. If your dryer's performance has gradually fallen off then it probably needs a good cleaning first. I speak from experience with basketball-sized balls of lint (from the dryer!) The fun part comes when you unplug the cord and pull off the front or back panel. No, that's not insulation.

The next step would be to buy whatever's in the classified ads. I'm continually amazed by people who sell their perfectly good appliances because they've redecorated...

If you do replace your dryer, see if you can sell the old one. You might still get $50-$100 for it!

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 12:40 PM   #12

I agree that you want to make sure you can't fix the problem yourself, or that you don't just have a lint problem.

Is the problem that the dryer takes too long?

Wash 4 large towels with the washing machine and then put them in the dryer and time how long it takes to dry them.* It should take about 45 minutes to 1 hour.*

If there's some other problem, try troubleshooting it on the Internet.*

We also go with line-drying, but it's not so practical in the winter.* Even on sunny winter days, the air is humid (100 yds from the ocean), the temperature is low, and the sun barely gets above the trees.*

Caroline, where are you and what do you do in the winter?* *
Old 06-02-2005, 02:01 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Probably clogged with lint or the duct pipe is bent. Try this...take it outside (they really are NOT that heavy, I pick them up myself and carry them around, two people of any size should be no trouble).

Open the front door, stick a leaf blower (gas or electric) into the ducting hole in the back and let it fly a while. If you get about 3lbs of lint out of it, thats probably your problem. Now if where the hose hooks up to the wall goes through a long pipe and you cant see where it goes, do the same leaf blower trick to that.

However I have seen heating elements fail, and i've seen them overload and blow breakers. Havent seen one sort-of work though, like Nords says.

GE probably used to make decent stuff. Their current crop sucks. So does maytag from what I hear. Whirlpool is good and that Sears (kenmore) and costco (kirkland) both resell their stuff under their own name is a good sign. If you have a costco near you, get one there and you'll get a good price...like I said, they're light so if you have an SUV, pickup or station wagon you can save a delivery charge, otherwise buy from costco.com and have it delivered. Barring that, go to sears, pick out a kenmore you like and wait for it to go on sale. Sears is having an 'extra 10% off' sale right now, although they also periodically run a 'buy now, no payments or interest for 1 year when you use your sears card'. My refrigerator is sitting on that deal.

Then have sears deliver it. My last 5 deliveries, 4 have had a scratch or a dent in it where I honestly didnt care, but I got them to take $75-100 off each appliance if I accepted it with the ding. Delivery on appliances is frequently free after a rebate. Why you buy it from sears, have sears deliver it, and have to apply for a rebate from sears to get the money back vs just not charging you for delivery in the first place does mystify me a bit, but I got the $45 check from them just a couple of weeks later.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 02:07 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Oh yeah, only one other suggestion, get a dryer with a moisture sensor that shuts it off when the clothes are dry. Cheap ones dont have it. You'll save the cost of the dryer in electricity over the course of its lifetime if you get one.

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 06-02-2005, 02:08 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Some CR ratings. Note this is for features, not reliability.

I'm looking at #10 and #7 for sweet spots in price/features. Both have a moisture sensor. Costco appears to have the larger whirlpool for $339 with a $20 rebate, plus delivery fees and tax.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg untitled6.jpg (61.5 KB, 36 views)
Attached Files
File Type: jpg_thumb untitled6.jpg_thumb (34.6 KB, 0 views)
Old 06-02-2005, 02:16 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Moisture sensor, BIG plus! We definitely made back the difference in cost.
Old 06-02-2005, 04:13 PM   #17

From TromboneAl:*

Quote:
Caroline, where are you and what do you do in the winter?
Hi!* We live in northern california, near the coast, so we get plenty of sunshine and wind.* In the winter, the clothes hang on the line under the patio, or in the garage.* Really only takes a little longer to dry, even if it's raining.* If need be we "finish 'em off" on one of those clothes racks.* We put the rack over the heater register and the clothes are dry in about 20 minutes.

Only one problem -- Dear Partner thinks the racks should be left out 24 x 7 to save him the effort of opening his closet door and putting the stuff away.

NOT!* ;-)

Caroline

Old 06-02-2005, 04:33 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Dont feel bad Caroline. My wife was appalled when she moved in with me and discovered that I 'folded and put away' the sheets by taking the wad out of the dryer and shoving them into the linen cabinet. I figure they're going to straighten out when I put them on the bed anyhow, and after 10 minutes of sleeping on them, they're gonna get mussed.

So anyhow, I fold the sheets now...
Old 06-02-2005, 04:56 PM   #19

Well, we're just north of Trinidad, CA (35 minutes north of Eureka), and the weather has to be just right to get the clothes all the way dry.

I'll have to try the garage trick -- I've been worried about them increasing the humidity in there and rusting the tools.
Old 06-02-2005, 05:22 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Here in sacramento, i'm lucky to get the clothes out of the washer and into the dryer before they're dry. Heck, by the time I'm done toweling off after getting out of the shower its a race to see if I can get my hair combed before it dries.

22% humidity today and a nice stiff wind.