Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-05-2014, 12:21 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

The antenna I bought is a little better than my coat hanger antenna so I just use the new one. For CBS, I put a couple of marks to rotate to as CBS (vhf) is the only channel that needs it's own position.

I think in my case (indoor, window only facing one direction, can't mount on roof) there's really no getting around the multi-path interference (unless the train line stops, which I don't see happening ).

Overall, though not perfect, I'm quite happy with my antenna and new OTA DVR. It's so nice to just press a button to pause live tv and to skip commercials with few presses of a skip forward button.

The funny thing is I schedule programs to record the old fashioned way like an old VCR (start day, start time, end time) and I love it, simple and old school. I really don't miss the on screen programming too much. I do peek at tvguide.com on my computer to see what programs are airing from time to time.

If one could invent something to filter out the multi-path interference for indoor antennas, one could strike it rich. Just a thought.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-05-2014, 12:41 PM   #42
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
If one could invent something to filter out the multi-path interference for indoor antennas, one could strike it rich. Just a thought.
I'm no expert on the antenna side of things, though I worked with people who were and probably picked up a little by osmosis. But one possible solution would be to use two antennas and connect them with a combiner, one of those little things like a splitter - one in two out to split a signal to two devices - but run in reverse. This is called a 'diversity' antenna connection. The theory is that with both antennas physically separated, but pointed at the desired signal, they will sum together, but the multipath signals will hit each antenna a little differently and not sum as well. So the desired signal rises above the multipath signals.

That likely is not practical from a physical standpoint, but it is an option that might help.

In some cases these splitters are symmetrical, and will work as well as a combiner as a splitter, but I don't think that is always the case. At any rate, a combiner should be a cheap thing.

-ERD50

Old 01-05-2014, 12:41 PM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiraC View Post
I did notice something odd yesterday when I turned on a football game on our OTA channel 8.1. The channel disappeared but I found it on channel 9.1. This happened one other time and I thought it was a fluke. Now it's happened twice. I haven't had this problem for non-sports TV. I googled the problem but didn't see any explanations.
KiraC,

Just curious, what video cable do you use for the Magnavox DVR? I initially used a HDMI cable with the upconverted setting to 1080p, but the pixelation was still noticeable (especially for sports).

So I instead connected using component cables and the picture improved (I can easily spot the football on the screen ). Though the audio isn't as good (RCA vs HDMI audio). Yet, well worth the trade off for great picture quality.
Old 01-05-2014, 12:45 PM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
I'm no expert on the antenna side of things, though I worked with people who were and probably picked up a little by osmosis. But one possible solution would be to use two antennas and connect them with a combiner, one of those little things like a splitter - one in two out to split a signal to two devices - but run in reverse. This is called a 'diversity' antenna connection. The theory is that with both antennas physically separated, but pointed at the desired signal, they will sum together, but the multipath signals will hit each antenna a little differently and not sum as well. So the desired signal rises above the multipath signals.

That likely is not practical from a physical standpoint, but it is an option that might help.

In some cases these splitters are symmetrical, and will work as well as a combiner as a splitter, but I don't think that is always the case. At any rate, a combiner should be a cheap thing.

-ERD50
I bet, if you can invent something that corrects the multi-path and put that in a little black box that simply goes inline, you can make a fortune! The product would be like a "MagicJack of OTA." That is, if there's a large enough demand for OTA folks. If there was something like that in the market, I'd easily pay $100 for such a device.