I need my roof replaced

DougViages

Recycles dryer sheets
I am being told that my 20+ year old asphalt shingle roof needs replacement. (A carpenter doing some work in the house is telling us, and we know him well, so he's a good info source.)

Anyone face this recently. I will not be attempting this myself, so I need a reliable experienced contractor.

How do you go about finding one?

What sources (online, community, etc.) are there to locate reasonable alternatives?

What advice, thing to be aware of?

Thanks for the help.

PS: Line in SE Michigan.:rolleyes:

Had this done last yr. In our area, we have something called Bay Area Checkbook which is like a local Consumer Reports. Don't know if you have something like that but you could ask at the local library. I don't use it myself but I've read about Angie's List or something like that online and there might be others.

The usual advice about liability and workers comp insurance for the contractor. You may want to call more than the number that you want quotes from. I found that most showed up right away to do the estimate but a couple just took their sweet time and arrived 2 wks later after. You could tell their schedules were full.......quotes for 30% higher than the other guys and if you bit, they would be happy to put you in line.

edit: have actually heard about Sterling Heights....brother used to work at GM Research Labs there

I used Home Depot. I knew they wouldn't do a shoddy job and disappear. It was a bit more expensive, but the peace of mind was worth it. They also provide a lifetime labor warranty.

Find a local realtor with more than a few years experience and get a reference from
them. Many have fixed up a number of properties for sale, and have a list of
reputable companies they have worked with that they are happy to pass on.

Surely some of your neighbors have had roof replacements. Ask them who they used. Your carpenter probably knows some. I would get 2-3 estimates.

Don't do a 'Roof Over' That is where a new roof is put over the old. This is allow, once, in many areas. A few years back, our next door neighbor had this done. The added weight broke the back of the house! That,s right, the central beam in the house began to sag. It cost him way more to fix that then what he saved on the roof.

I heard a rumor that roofing materials will double in price, so get it done sooner rather than later. We had a tear-off (two layers of roofing torn off and completely new roof installed from the rafters up) done 30 years ago and a re-roof (new shingling over existing roof) three years ago with no problems, for what it's worth.

Whomever you hire, don't give them all the money up front:

The Mister Boffo World Wide Web Homepage

(this will be pertinent only on 7/3/08 re roofers).

I heard a rumor that roofing materials will double in price, so get it done sooner rather than later. We had a tear-off (two layers of roofing torn off and completely new roof installed from the rafters up) done 30 years ago and a re-roof (new shingling over existing roof) three years ago with no problems, for what it's worth.

Whomever you hire, don't give them all the money up front:

The Mister Boffo World Wide Web Homepage

(this will be pertinent only on 7/3/08 re roofers).

Roofing did go up, but back on 6-1. Asphault shingles. We had a place done at the end of May.
A re-roof over old shingles is only good for 1/2 to 2/3 the time of a single layer roof in our experience.

Last edited:
I am not sure how much snow you get but some winters we get a few inches and then freezing and thawing and perhaps rain on top of it and a phenomenon called ice damning takes place your gutters are blocked by ice and the water backs up under shingles. and comes in the walls. If you have that risk, consider a water guard layer under the first couple of rows of shingles. It is a thin adhesive waterproof membrane that seals the roof even when the water backs up under the shingles.

We had to replace our 15 year-old roof last year because of hail damage. To find a contractor we asked for recommendations from friends and family, we made sure the business was well established, bonded and insured, we checked with the Better Business Bureau and State Attorney General to check for customer complaints. Also when the various candidates came over to give us their estimate, we checked whether they were on time and whether they were professional (one of the companies we screened gave us an estimate in the back of a business card). The company we choose was not the cheapest and they did a great job. They did not ask for any money upfront (even to purchase materials).

In our case they removed the old shingles and felt all the way down to the plywood decking (which they inspected to make sure it was in good shape) before installing the new roof.

When you get bids make sure each contractor's quote is based on using the same materials. There are books and web sites to help you decide what kind of felt underlay and shingles to use. Don't let one guy bid using 15# felt when another is planning to use 30#.

Also get a firm price on hourly rate for unforseen extras.

Roofing suppliers often have a list of approved applicators for a specific product, another source of roofing contractors.

If cost is a moderate issue and you aren't in a really hot climate, there is a product out there that looks like slate. It is actually a rubber. Predicted life span: 50 years! It is 'guaranteed' but God knows if the manufacturer will be around that long.

Agree with AzDreamer.

USAA often has preferred suppliers for repair work. Talk to your insurance agent or insurance company to see whether they have some recommendations for you.

We just got re-roofed about 3 weeks ago. It took me over a year of pissing & moaning at Allstate, but in the end they finally agreed to send me a check for $5k. I researched through the BBB website and came up with a list of about 6 local roofing companies with the best reps. Then I called them all to get estimates, and went with the best price. Total was $5600, meaning just $600 out of pocket for me. I didn't use the company who supplied the initial estimate for Allstate, because he was the most expensive at $6500. Allstate didn't want to pay the claim, because in their opinion there was no way to pinpoint the damage to one particular incident. I wore 'em down though, citing "cumulative damage" language that was in the policy that they somehow conveniently overlooked. They finally caved rather than lose a 25 year customer who had never filed a claim. Good luck, and seriously, use the BBB info. Then, interview and "feel out" the prospective roofers.

Contractor lists from both Lowes and Home Despot are pretty reliable. Better yet, if there is an old mom-n-pop lumber yard in your area...

This is a great time to be considering renovation/remodeling, get at least three quotes, there are a lot of capable contractors around without much work this summer.

I had my roof redone last month. Paid about 9k for the architectural ashphalt shingles with ridge venting. Had to replace about 10 sheets of plywood.

I looked through Angie's List (i think its $20 or so to sign up) and looked at all the roofers with good customer feedback. Had about 5 estimates and picked the one that I was most comfortable with. it wasn't the cheapest nor the most expensive.

Suggestion is to learn from all of the contractors and make sure that the one that you choose puts everything that you want in writing.

good luck

If you are thinking about photovoltaic, re-roofing time is the perfect time to have it done.

Thanks all!

I'm starting to collect estimates, and I'm following some of the tips that you gave me. I'll let you know how it goes.

Now, if you can just tell me how to recover my losses in the market, oh, and double my money...?O0

Consumer Reports had a review about re-roofing a few years back. They talk about the roofing materials variables as well as how to select a contractor. They won't have a list of local contractors which I read as being what you were after but the general principles would still apply.

When the job is done, have them leave you a dozen or two shingles in case some have to be replaced in a few years when you won't find any to match.

When the job is done, have them leave you a dozen or two shingles in case some have to be replaced in a few years when you won't find any to match.

I have some left over in my basement. They have been there now for 9 years. They're too heavy to move. Still in the same spot that my now deceased Scotty once lifted his leg on.

I'm starting to collect estimates, and I'm following some of the tips that you gave me. I'll let you know how it goes.
Query the contractor on what they'll do when (not if) they find additional damage. You want to know if they're going to replace the adaptors around the sewage vent pipes and replace the flashing & valley metal. (You definitely don't want them hammering new nails into old flashing.) Check to see if they'll do any work on the soffits, fascia, or screens/vents over the bird holes. (This is especially convenient if rotted sheathing has to come off.) If you have a chimney then you want to have a long conversation about crickets, tucking the mortar, checking the firebrick, and maybe even replacing the rain/animal screen. And maybe you want the chimney cleaners to do their thing before you re-roof.

I think Martha has posted about waterproof membranes to minimize ice dam damage.

If you're not replacing the gutters, then you may want to take pictures of them before the roofers start working around them. Just in case.

The roofing may create amazing amount of dust in your attic. If you have anything stored up there, cover it and be ready to vacuum when the roof is done. Anything bulky in your attics that you want to take out or put in? Want to add more insulation? Skylights? Solar-powered attic exhaust fans? Now's the time to discuss borrowing their lift equipment.

It's worth verifying with the state agency that these guys have workmen's comp insurance.

Like Gumby said, if you're considering photovoltaics then this is a great time to get the roofing guy together with the PV installer. (Is there sunshine in Michigan? I forget.) For example a standing-seam metal roof can be made with built-in clips to hold the PV racks.

I read an entire thread on another board about what color to make your roof. Much of the debate was about reflecting the summer's heat off the roof (light-colored shingles) or about insulating material to keep the attic from heating in the summer and freezing in the winter.

Now, if you can just tell me how to recover my losses in the market, oh, and double my money...?O0
I think you're supposed to fold each dollar bill in half. There-- now it's doubled.

I have some left over in my basement. They have been there now for 9 years. They're too heavy to move. Still in the same spot that my now deceased Scotty once lifted his leg on.
We had some gusty winds take nearly a square off our roof, and I sure wish I'd had the foresight to store some matching shingles. It was a royal pain to find something close.

Only thing I can add is to use 30 paper and 30 shingles. Its worth the expense. It'll last longer, you'll look better on disclosure to a buyer if you sell, and 30 year shingles look way better than the thinner cheaper ones. Tear off the old roof. That'll also give you a chance to find and replace dry rot sheeting.

Dont go with someone that doesnt seem to have done much work in the area or someone thats new, but dont overpay. Roofing is far removed from rocket science, but its full of scammers.

The contractors I know are getting killed by big companies from out of the area coming in and underquoting jobs, pointing at how many years they've been around, then ripping up your house and upping the quote, finding "new and unexpected things". Most of which were perfectly expectable. But they figure in a year or two their business will return to normal, they'll withdraw to their normal geographic area, and to heck with those customers in the hinterlands that they screwed to keep a paycheck coming in. In the meanwhile the local guys who wont underquote a job are starving.

If you're in the Sacramento/Grass Valley/Lake Tahoe CA. band, I have a roofer for you. And other guys that do almost everything else. They'll do a good job, will quote a fair price, and wont spork you.

I have had an education from all of you!

I have two more estimators coming today. Yesterday I had two Ukranian/American contractors give me back of the envelope bids. My wife is a first generation Ukie/American (born here), and the wonderful Ukranian carpenter that we have used on a number of home improvement projects arranged these "estimates". I explained to my wife why I had to put aside these low ball bids, and seek qualified, insured roofers with a local track record.

Thanks, again, and enjoy the holiday weekend!

I had new asphalt shingles put on 2 years ago. A friend recommended a contractor. He came over and gave me a good estimate and said he would be back the next day to do the job. His Mexican crew showed up bright and early, tore the old roof off, installed the new roof with new flashing and drip rails and cleaned up their mess. It took them 10 hours from start to finish and they did a great job. I doubt if any of them were here legally, but I didn't ask.

Back
Top Bottom