Join Early Retirement Today

I need to come up with 10 Field Day stations.
Old 04-27-2008, 06:53 AM   #1
gone traveling

I need to come up with 10 Field Day stations.

Yes , my part time teaching gig has me having to organize a big field day at one of my elementary schools for late May. Darn this IS WORK! Lets see, big clothes relay, huge pants and real big shirt and over sized hat, kids have to run to the spot with the clothes put them on over their clothes run back change to the next person on line until everyone goes and one team wins. Humm. 1 down 9 to go. More ideas!!:confused:
dumpster56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-27-2008, 07:44 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Relay race filling up a bucket of water using a sponge.
JDARNELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 09:09 AM   #3
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomcat98 View Post
Relay race filling up a bucket of water using a sponge.

Yes that is a good one. 2 down 8 to go

Thanks
Old 04-27-2008, 09:44 AM   #4
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Egg toss?
Old 04-27-2008, 09:53 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Maybe a water balloon toss.

Dizzy-bat relay? (Run 50 feet to waiting bat, end of bat stays onthe ground while contestant puts forehead on bat and circles three times, then runs back to starting line to tag next member in line.) The gyros in the inner ear get a bit jumbled during this turning procedure, which usually results in a few course deviations on the way back. Risk/liability: Possible falling, bats and kids with grudges.

Public school? Think about a knife throw (BYOK)

Sack race?
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 09:58 AM   #6

egg&spoon
3-legged race
sack race
tug o' war

in Italy we've gone to traditional festivals where we've seen:
1.) a kind of pinata deal with blindfolded people trying to break hanging terra-cotta pots with sticks
2.) frog races (frog tied w/string to a flat wheelbarrow; must get frog to finish line on barrow. If he jumps off you have to stop and collect him)
3.) pole climbing (must ring bell at top of pole)
plus others too complicated (greasy pole over lake; donkey races)

here's a whole site.. I couldn't tell you what these are but there are lots:
Cooperative Games - MrGym.com
ladelfina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 12:09 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
Pants down race. Each guy has a pair of long pants at ankle-high...race.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 12:29 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Health: Fitness > Field Day

Education World® 20 Field Day Activities Any Kid Can Do (And Do Well!)

PEC: Lesson Plans for Physical Education

HTH
Old 04-27-2008, 02:25 PM   #9
gone traveling

Keep the ideas a coming, I have a bunch of activities but I am looking for brainstorming ideas, something out of the box, something crazy fun.

Again everyone thank you

Newguy
Old 04-27-2008, 04:57 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

crab races
wheelbarrow races
3-legged races
plain-old-running races or 4-leg relays (pass the baton)
obstacle course a-la-Survivor
balance on one foot contest
staring contests (person who laughs first loses)
hula-hoop contest
carry an egg (or a golf ball) on a spoon race
tug-of-war
Charlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 05:10 PM   #11
Administrator

Book walk - (this was called a bible walk when I was a kid) It's a relay race with a book between your knees.

Expect the books to be be ruined. But as I recall it was fun
Old 04-27-2008, 07:17 PM   #12

Just checked with my 11 year-old...

Her favorite last year was a relay race involving a bucket placed at one end of the field, containing flour and some coins. Each contestant raced down the field, pulled out three coins and raced back to the start line to tag the next contestant on the team. Toward the end of the relay, the coins get harder and harder to find in the bucket.

If the kids are wearing gym clothes, I think I would get some help from the kitchen staff to substitute pancake batter for flour.
Htown Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 07:20 PM   #13
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Htown Harry View Post
Just checked with my 11 year-old...

Her favorite last year was a relay race involving a bucket placed at one end of the field, containing flour and some coins. Each contestant raced down the field, pulled out three coins and raced back to the start line to tag the next contestant on the team. Toward the end of the relay, the coins get harder and harder to find in the bucket.

If the kids are wearing gym clothes, I think I would get some help from the kitchen staff to substitute pancake batter for flour.
Oh that is a winner!

We will use this one!!
Old 04-27-2008, 08:00 PM   #14

Yep, kids love to get messy or wet.

How about a relay race involving bobbing for apples? I haven't seen that game played since I was a kid. My guess is that none of the kids will have a clue on the technique.

Or maybe a water balloon throwing contest? The two teams are at either end of the field. For each team, place water balloons in a line toward the other end, one every five yards. Contestant One runs to the first balloon, picks it up and heaves it toward a fixed target at the other end of the field. If he hits, his team wins. If he misses, he races back to tag contestant #2, who races up to balloon #2. Repeat until ther's a winner. The best part? The fixed target is played by the teacher of the opposing team.
Htown Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 09:23 PM   #15

google 'elementry school field day events' on the 'About' page lots of ideas some with lesson plans.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 07:18 AM   #16

try some type of race in mud

idea 1
maybe create a square course with legs of about 20 yards. Corner 1 put a bucket of balls, corner 2 put an open basket, corner 3 put a bunch of flags. corner 4 is start/finish line. Then soak the whole thing down.

run to corner 1, grab ball, put in bucket at corner 2, run to corner 3, grab a flag and race to corner 4.

bonus point for any girl which does the race (the boys will love it, not sure of girls)

idea 2
have a person put their head on a baseball bat (with other end of bat on ground) and spin around 20 times. Then after spinning, run a 30 yard race. For more fun, make the race on grass which is muddy.

idea 3
co-ed game. Group of 8 or 10? Have water balloon, pass it from chin to chin (boy to girl to boy to girl) around in a circle.

idea 4
frisbee toss for distance and accuracy
have various size frisbees (small, medium, large) and maybe a long distance aerobee, then have 4 boys and 4 girls each do one of the "legs", then add up comboned distance for team.
Old 04-28-2008, 07:48 AM   #17
Full time employment: Posting here.

Cross country ski race for doubles.

Two boards about 3-4 feet long x 4 inches wide. Make up four rope loops so you can wrap them around the skis two times, one small loop and one large loop. You hold the large loops in your hand to pull the small loop tight and trap your foot on to the ski.

Two kids get on the skis and race. You gotta start off on the right foot or you end up in a heap.
UncleHoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 08:00 AM   #18
Full time employment: Posting here.

Paper airplane distance challenge. Make a paper airplane and try for the longest distance. The secret is to fold a plane that is the longest, pointiest, skinniest dart you can make. They don't really need wings.
UncleHoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 08:15 AM   #19

I like Uncle Honey's suggestion..! There are some kids (like me) who will never excel at physical challenges, so it's good to throw in a few games that are geared toward science or strategy over sheer physical prowess.
ladelfina is offline   Reply With Quote