Join Early Retirement Today

Re: I need to get a new car!
Old 05-26-2005, 07:49 AM   #61
Recycles dryer sheets

First car, two year old saab 900. Drove for almost 13 years, 90% city driving. Due to driving habits, had to change brake pads about every two years. Otherwise, changed synthetic oil about every year and a half. About 11 y into it, key would sometimes get stuck in the ignition. Probably because of 11 y accumulation of crumbs, but a little WD40 did the trick. Brother still driving the car. But didn't like the saab test drive when looking for a replacement car.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-26-2005, 01:37 PM   #62
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRGALT2U
I have a 3/4 ton Dodge Ram. It has plenty of power (snap your neck man) , handles well and was inexpensive. Excellent condition! Sucks gas like there is no tomorrow. But I haul and tow, etc. It's nice for that
and satisfies my testosterone requirements.
That balances my vision of you driving the Miata. Did you ever notice the cute boys waving and winking at you when you're driving on a sunny day with the top down?

unclemick - Most Americans can't do basic math. Taking the cost difference between a hybrid and a normal engine, and comparing to the cost savings in fuel is way outside of their ability.

Old 05-26-2005, 02:40 PM   #63
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakers
Well, you forgot, maybe because of where you live, but if you live somewhere where it gets really cold (UP of Michigan? Duluth and the like) then you want synthetic in the winter. Starting is so much bettter than not starting.

yakers, although now warm in Pasadena, CA, grew up in Chicago and has relatives in northern Canada.
32 years living in boston is still fresh in my mind. My old Mercedes 300td without an engine heater (a worst case if there ever was one) started just fine at 20 below zero with 5w30 in the crankcase. Synthetic doesnt necessarily flow any differently than plain old oil at the same flow rates.

Scraping the 1/4 inch sheet of ice off the car before driving away was a lot more troubling... :P
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 08:44 PM   #64
Recycles dryer sheets

Just keep the car running. Where I was in Alaska, we kept the trucks running 24/7 from Oct/Nov to March. Only diesel trucks, gasoline would freeze in the tank. Build a fire under the engine if it did get turned off accidentally - works better than a blockheater.
Old 05-26-2005, 10:11 PM   #65
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vic
Build a fire under the engine if it did get turned off accidentally - works better than a blockheater.
Girl, that is 'core.

Ha
Old 05-29-2005, 02:57 PM   #66
Confused about dryer sheets

I am new to the forum so if I screw up the post please forgive me.
I am 55 yrs old- first car at 21. I have owned Buick,
Pontiac, Cadillac, Ford. I bought American for
"patriotic" reasons - keep Americans working!
I paid the price. Nothing but trouble.
In 1985 I switched to Honda- (Civic for me and Accord for the wife) never any troubles. Current automoblies are
1994 Lexus ES300 (55k)-- bought used in '98
1998 Honda Acord (70k)
Great cars-no problems and I do the maintainence religiously.
I plan to run them for another 5 years.

Hope this helps.
Old 05-29-2005, 05:33 PM   #67
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paully
I am new to the forum so if I screw up the post please forgive me.
I am 55 yrs old- first car at 21. I have owned Buick,
Pontiac, Cadillac, Ford. I bought American for
"patriotic" reasons - keep Americans working!
I paid the price. Nothing but trouble.*
In 1985 I switched to Honda- (Civic for me and Accord for the wife) never any troubles. Current automoblies are
1994 Lexus ES300 (55k)-- bought used in '98
1998 Honda Acord* (70k)
Great cars-no problems and I do the maintainence religiously.
I plan to run them for another 5 years.

Hope this helps.
Well , this confirms my experience. Japanese cars have been
very trouble free for me. OTOH, I presently own none.
Not sure why exactly, except I am a very aggressive price shopper.
Of course, I often have bought cheap and been disappointed.
(Don't ask about my latest lawn tractor)

JG
Old 05-29-2005, 05:55 PM   #68
Give me a forum ...

I have a bought new 1999 Chevy Silverado which lately has been trying to convince me to buy Toyota - via A/C and unplanned rear brake problems requiring fixing.

OTOH - I've got this (free) 1994 GMC Sonoma pickup with 240,000 miles that just won't die as my daily driver. 5 speed, 4 banger, rusty fender, Maypop tires bought used at the junkyard - I wear my best Dickies coveralls - chain the dog in back - my kind of frugal.

Durn women are talking SUV. Harumphhh! Buying new was bad enough.
Old 05-30-2005, 01:44 PM   #69
Give me a forum ...

Unfortunately you get the "american discount" at both ends. You get to buy cheaper, but you get a lot less when you sell.

I used to fall for that false economy until I got tired of having my ass kicked at resale. I remember being shocked at a friend selling his old toyota pickup truck for more than he originally paid for it, 7 years later.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 05-31-2005, 07:09 PM   #70
Recycles dryer sheets

* *In my corner of the Midwest, talking to folks about what new car to buy tends to get this: "Oh, we only buy Ford/GM/Chrysler because grandparent/parent/parent-in law works for them and we get the discount"

* *Personally, I'm leaning toward a Camry (I have no family who works for the Big Three, LOL!) I'd consider a Hyundai, but I'm still worried about reliability past the 2 or 3 year mark.
Old 05-31-2005, 09:21 PM   #71
Give me a forum ...

Hyundai's had some good reliability records the last few years.

Problem you'd have there is on resale. If you're going to drive it into the ground it doesnt matter. If you sell in 4 years and get 50% of your OPP rather than 65-70, its worth the extra few dollars to go toyota/honda.
Old 06-01-2005, 03:35 PM   #72
Give me a forum ...

The American cars are not as bad as they once were... but I still will not buy a Ford because of how they screwed me back in the 80s... the car had a design defect and it would stall when it got hot... paid lots of money to try and fix, new tranny etc. etc.. they finally lost a lawsuit and gave a $500 credit for a new Ford :

But, I own a '95 Monte Carlo and it has been pretty good... it has eaten a couple of alternators, but nothing else except normal maintenance for 10 years.

Why I am posting... I just read that GM is going to give the employee discount for all vehicles soon!!! They want to 'clear out' inventory. So, not a bad thing is you do not mind a GM.
Old 06-01-2005, 03:41 PM   #73
Give me a forum ...

What I heard yesterday was that the employee discount would result in prices "4 to 5 percent below dealer invoice". I can get that deal any time.

Old 06-01-2005, 03:45 PM   #74
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud
Why I am posting... I just read that GM is going to give the employee discount for all vehicles soon!!!* They want to 'clear out' inventory.* So, not a bad thing is you do not mind a GM.
"You built it with our specs at your standards, and now we're gonna see if you're willing to drive your families in one!"

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 04:07 PM   #75
Give me a forum ...

Hmm...a better option than giving the employee discount might be to call the dealerships and tell them to stop putting "extra dealer markup" stickers on all the halfway desirable vehicles.

I remember when I bought my expedition, all of them had "extra dealer markup - $8000" stickers on them. I laughed at the sales guy and said "So...does the guy who puts those on have to wear a mask and carry a gun? And is that 'bennie hill' music playing in the background?".

He didnt get it.
Old 06-03-2005, 03:15 PM   #76
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by th
Hmm...a better option than giving the employee discount might be to call the dealerships and tell them to stop putting "extra dealer markup" stickers on all the halfway desirable vehicles.

I remember when I bought my expedition, all of them had "extra dealer markup - $8000" stickers on them.* I laughed at the sales guy and said "So...does the guy who puts those on have to wear a mask and carry a gun?* And is that 'bennie hill' music playing in the background?".

He didnt get it.
Yep, there are some stupid people going in and bidding up the price.... if there were not, the price would go down quickly.

Now you can ge $5,000 to $8,000 off, because they are not longer 'in demand'....

Isn't capitalism great!!
Old 06-03-2005, 03:20 PM   #77
Give me a forum ...

You could do that then too. I think mine was $28k and had a $35k price tag 'after additional dealer markup'. I got it for about 23K.
Old 06-03-2005, 03:21 PM   #78
Moderator Emeritus

That's less than I paid for my @*&+^$#*%@#(*^@$)*(& Passat!
Old 06-03-2005, 03:33 PM   #79
Give me a forum ...

Well it was in december of 1999.

However, I leave sales managers whimpering in my wake. Last time I bought a car they trotted out one of the owners kids to work on me. When the finance manager got the paperwork he wanted the kid to come in and initial the pricing as he couldnt believe she agreed to it.
Old 06-03-2005, 03:39 PM   #80
Moderator Emeritus

Now you have to admit that you could have gotten a similarly good price without having to go to a dealership, right? You just enjoy the bloodsport, admit it!