Join Early Retirement Today

Re: I need to get a new car!
Old 06-10-2005, 02:54 PM   #121
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Indeed. Email was part of my jurisdiction when I was in IT. We very regularly got requests from security to dump somebodies inbox and start an audit track on all emails sent and received for a specific period of time. Any overly large emails were automatically evaluated by one of my staff to make sure they werent schematics or other proprietary information. A lot of email going through the internet gateway in or out of the company was looked at. Anything with more than a couple of recipients was almost always peeked at.

We also tracked through the proxy servers every web site anyone ever went to, what pages were pulled up, page refresh rates, time spent with the browser open to a certain site, etc. Once we were asked by sr. mgt. to pull all of the contractors web activity and compress it to top 50 pages visited, url, a few words describing that pages content, and the time the browser was open and on that page. We found that more than half our contractors were spending more than half their time with very, very non-business pages open. Fired most of them.

I also got regular visits from various management folks who had sent someone an email and had the recipient tell them they never got it. 99% of the time they did get it and I looked to see. After all, if they didnt get it, something was wrong with the email system....right? Usually that didnt go well for them.

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-10-2005, 03:28 PM   #122
Moderator Emeritus

We presented all the things we "could" track on our email/web browsing to sr. management, and they responded, "well, hmm, we don't want to be the gestapo, we trust our employees."

Only took me three nanoseconds to realize there were bullets of sweat forming on sr. management's forehead.

Old 06-10-2005, 03:55 PM   #123
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Oh absolutely...browser tracking of management above a certain level was disabled as a matter of policy.

The reason given for the widespread tracking was to cover our own behinds in the event of a lawsuit. We could clearly show what was or wasnt going on by our audit trails.

For the most part unless there was an employee complaint (email harrassment) or some clear cut idiot (the guy who sent a 28MB video attachment on an email that ended up going to several thousand people in the company and brought the entire email system to a screeching halt for 2 days), the info just sat there. You got in trouble with the boss and they wanted some poop to hang you with though, that tap got opened.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 07:35 PM   #124
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by th

Nords/Laurence...the good emails are the ones where you get two senior managers thoroughly interested in each other.* Its especially good when one or both are married.*
* *Heard a story about why a former boss didn't last long at his next job. As the story goes,* he (married) was thorougly interested in a (younger) staffer.* He reportedly wrote* a suggestive email to this new honey -- but sent it to someone else by mistake.* The recipient wasn't amused -- neither was senior management.
Old 06-10-2005, 09:35 PM   #125
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
I like the look, but...

I guess it has to hold the boards inside because they put the frickin' antenna top & center of the windshield. And with the rack along the sides instead of athwartships, it'd be impossible to lash down a longboard on the roof anyway!
I use steel Thule crossbars on all my racks, so that shouldn't be a problem. Last time I shopped for a car, I'd check the racks on all the cars that I was interested in. I'd grab the rack and shake the car. There's a big difference between vendors roof racks. Looks like this one is only attached in two places per side.

The antenna is a problem, but the stereo has a 1/8" aux connector -- great idea.