Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-14-2018, 07:19 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Another Tirerack online fan. One of their approved installers is a tire/alignment/race prep shop I trust bigly. Same crew for years and years, same location, they are just very very good. I have the tires shipped to them and they do the install. I like digging into the tire specs and various tire noise, wet and dry traction, revolutions/mile, customer reviews... all that good stuff. Tires aren't cheap, but they are the point of contact with the road.
calmloki is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-14-2018, 07:32 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
If I bought from ebay, I'd be worried about how old the tires are. The rubber does age, and I think they say now replace at 6 years if you have low miles. If they are selling tires that sat on the shelf for two years, it might not be a great deal.

-ERD50
The tires I received in January 2018 from Discount Tire Direct, purchased through ebay, were manufactured in November 2017. All four had the same date code and balanced with very little weight required.
freedomatlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 07:37 PM   #23

I buy a lot of tires from Discount Tire. I find the store will almost always price match the Discount Tire Direct prices, and with exception of ebay-brand rebates like ebay bucks, the other rebates are also valid. So not had to deal with the ship to me and then install later. If the tires are a special order, then just wait for them to come in to the store and I go get them mounted.

Sorta kinda related, Discount Tire has a great road hazard warranty program. Not too much extra money upfront, and they replace with a new tire, no pro-rated funny business. Works great on my trailer tires, seems I never get a full life out of one of them before it has an issue. I have also used for car or truck tires, such as when a object too close to sidewall for flat repair.

You can't spend yourself to prosperity.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 07:01 AM   #24

I too have purchased from TireRack. If you purchase a tire/wheel combo, they will mount and balance the tires for free, leaving you the easy job of just putting them on the car. That is a great deal for winter tires.

I recently purchased a set of tires from a local Firestoneplace. They matched my TireRack pricing on the exact same tires including shipping and taxes. I was surprised.
CRLLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 11:32 AM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38Chevy454 View Post
I buy a lot of tires from Discount Tire. I find the store will almost always price match the Discount Tire Direct prices, and with exception of ebay-brand rebates like ebay bucks, the other rebates are also valid. So not had to deal with the ship to me and then install later. If the tires are a special order, then just wait for them to come in to the store and I go get them mounted.

Sorta kinda related, Discount Tire has a great road hazard warranty program. Not too much extra money upfront, and they replace with a new tire, no pro-rated funny business. Works great on my trailer tires, seems I never get a full life out of one of them before it has an issue. I have also used for car or truck tires, such as when a object too close to sidewall for flat repair.

Good point about road hazard coverage. TireRack has free coverage on most of their items. I have some not so careful drivers in the family fleet and lots of lousy roads.
Old 02-16-2018, 04:13 PM   #26
Full time employment: Posting here.

I've bought several sets of tires from TireRack over the years. Always pleased with the tires and service.

However, I couldn't pass up the current Discount Tires rebates -
1. $75 for buying "better" tires
2. $60 if paying with a Discount Tire credit card

So, both TireRack and Discount Tire were selling these tires for $67 each (Kuhmo Solus TA11's, which got good reviews on TireRack). However, TireRack also wanted $11 shipping per tire; Discount Tires also had free shipping.

So, my net cost for Discount Tires will be $133.
TireRack would've been $312.

Yea, I did have to open a Discount Tire credit card to get the extra $60, so that'll be a minor ding to my credit score.
RetiredAt55.5 is offline   Reply With Quote