Join Early Retirement Today

I-Pad Mini: Retina Display or not?
Old 05-08-2014, 07:11 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I-Pad Mini: Retina Display or not?

I'm going to spring for an I-Pad Mini. This will be my first-ever Apple product. Amazing, huh?

Any opinions on whether the Retina Display Mini is worth the extra $100.00?

I noticed that there's a new Apple store at the local mall. I'll check them out there but I'll bet they'll try to up-sell at every point.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-08-2014, 07:17 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Yep - definitely!

Visually comparing at the store is a good idea - you'll see if it really matters to you. Looking at video and photos is the best way to see the difference/benefit.

Apple store employees aren't particularly aggressive.

Old 05-08-2014, 07:22 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Depends on what you plan to use the iPad for, and how much $100 means to you. And the retina model has a faster processor, the difference is not just display resolution.

You can definitely see the difference between the displays side-by-side, BUT I doubt you'd see anything wrong with the non-retina model otherwise. It looks really good too.

What is a Retina display: Why is the new iPad called 'iPad mini with Retina display'? - PC Advisor

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 09:00 AM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

I'd definitely spend the extra $100. Not only is the display better, but it'll be much more responsive due to the better processor. The iPad mini without retina is equivalent to an iPad 2 internally, which makes it much older than it seems.

One thing I have noticed is that with time, iPads run slower. This is mostly because the software is improving, but the hardware is the same. Getting a the retina version buys you more time. Plus, the display really is worth it.
Old 05-08-2014, 09:25 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiki View Post
I'd definitely spend the extra $100. Not only is the display better, but it'll be much more responsive due to the better processor. The iPad mini without retina is equivalent to an iPad 2 internally, which makes it much older than it seems.

This is a good point. Even if for some reason you can't see the difference between the two screens, you'll likely enjoy the speed of the retina version.
Old 05-08-2014, 09:56 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

DH gave me an iPad mini shortly before the retina version came out. I gave him an iPad Air with retina in February. I just compared the two screens. His is a tiny bit sharper but the online newspaper we both read is in the same resolution as it is not "redrawn" by the iPads but rather is a pdf-ish file so the resolution doesn't change that I can see.

I don't notice any difference at all in the performance, speed, etc.

But I would still go for the latest, retina display version of the mini. And actually, although this is not your question, I would go for the full sized iPad Air. It is not much bigger dimensionwise than the mini (it would easily fit in the same handbag/tote, and weighs virtually the same), but it is so much easier to read from it.
Old 05-08-2014, 10:10 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
But I would still go for the latest, retina display version of the mini. And actually, although this is not your question, I would go for the full sized iPad Air. It is not much bigger dimensionwise than the mini (it would easily fit in the same handbag/tote, and weighs virtually the same), but it is so much easier to read from it.
+1

Buying a non-retina iPad is 3 year old technology, and with the weight reduction on the iPad Air, the smaller size of the mini only makes it harder to read on without reducing weight by any significant amount.
Old 05-08-2014, 10:18 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Does the mini you are looking at have the older connector (not the newer 'Lightning')?

I'd go with the newer to reduce early obsolescence effect.

-ERD50
Old 05-08-2014, 10:22 AM   #9

I have a regular-screened iPad Mini given to me as a gift a few months before the retina version came out. It doesn't make one bit of difference to me, and we watch movies on it on airlines, etc.

That said, if I had the option now, I'd buy the newest model or the Air, simply because this isn't a "big ticket" item and newest/latest probably lasts longest before obsolescence.
Old 05-08-2014, 10:31 AM   #10

Something else to consider is that there is now an Android alternative to the Ipad Mini Retina, the more recently released Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4. The price on it was dropped to $349 just this week. It has a higher resolution than even the Ipad Mini Retina (359 vs. 326 ppi), 5% larger screen area, better colors (supposedly), 2 GB instead of 1 GB internal memory, same weight, better cameras and you can place additional SD memory in a slot instead of paying Apple another hundred bucks for each 16 GB of additional disk memory.

On the other hand, the Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4 has a smaller battery (the most serious shortcoming) and is slightly ergonomically inferior.

This is a side by side comparison of the specs (not really a review, just a quick overview):

Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4 vs. iPad mini with Retina Display

And answering your original question, yes, I think the retina version is worth the extra. The original Ipad mini has a pathetic 163 ppi. This is not competitive in today's marketplace.
Old 05-08-2014, 11:30 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post

Ditto on the retina but not so sure on the size. I have a standard iPad and it is fine but I like the smaller footprint of the mini. I think it would be particularly helpful if you use it as a reader holding it in your lap for long periods. I have read reviewers who think it is the ideal size for most users.
Old 05-08-2014, 11:47 AM   #12

I've had an iPad Mini for about a year and just love it. It does not have the Retina Display and I am perfectly happy with it. One of my sons has the iPad with Retina Display and side by side I can see the difference.

If you've got the extra $100, I'd get the mini with the Retina Display.

I prefer the size of the mini. I found the full size one got hard to hold in one hand after a while.

Let us know what you get and how you like it.
Old 05-08-2014, 12:03 PM   #13
Full time employment: Posting here.

Regarding the size, think about how you are going to use it and if you have a chance, go to the store and try both out.

I've had 3 iPads so far: original iPad, iPad3 and now an iPad Air. I've always enjoyed the larger screen size, but with the only difference between the iPad mini retina and iPad Air being the screen size, I'm tempted to ditch the iPad Air and go for an iPad retina mini. I think the lighter weight/smaller profile might be worth it.

But in the end it's really a personal preference. Go with the one you think will work best for you.
Old 05-08-2014, 12:37 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue J View Post
I prefer the size of the mini. I found the full size one got hard to hold in one hand after a while.
I agree with this. Wife has a full-size, as does my mom. Dad and I have minis. Less about the weight than the fact that I can hold the mini in the palm of one hand easily.
Old 05-08-2014, 01:22 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
Ditto on the retina but not so sure on the size. I have a standard iPad and it is fine but I like the smaller footprint of the mini. I think it would be particularly helpful if you use it as a reader holding it in your lap for long periods. I have read reviewers who think it is the ideal size for most users.
Yes, the most important factor, of course, is what will it be used for by the consumer. I said I would prefer the full sized ipad, but then I use a kindle with a light for the handful of digital books I read, not the mini. I do think the mini is a better size to plug into our car to listen to audiobooks, music, etc., and taking pictures. The bigger ipad is better for us to use for facetiming grandkids.
Old 05-08-2014, 03:39 PM   #16

Great responses, all. I think I'm headed for the Mini with retina for many of the reasons cited above. Just need to make myself do it
Old 05-08-2014, 04:31 PM   #17

Done. 5% off with the Target Redcard plus $50.00 Target gift certificate. Not a bad deal at all.
Old 05-08-2014, 05:22 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marita40 View Post
Done. 5% off with the Target Redcard plus $50.00 Target gift certificate. Not a bad deal at all.
Congrats!
Old 05-08-2014, 08:18 PM   #19

Late to the party, but I would have said the Retina Mini. For the chip and not the display. My son has been an Ipad user far longer than I. I have the older Mini, and I see nothing wrong with it. However, if I were going to buy one today it would be the Retina. As Apple upgrades it's operating system, eventually the older hardware gets slower and eventually becomes unusable. So buying the top of the line now will save you from having to buy another one is a year or so when the older version has a hard time with the new IOS.
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 09:14 PM   #20

Reading and posting this sitting on the couch with iPad mini with retina. Like it a lot.