Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-23-2019, 06:59 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by copyright1997reloaded View Post
I'm smart enough to know that I've met people who were smarter with no common sense, smarter with common sense, not as smart but with a lot of common sense, and not as smart with little common sense.

I'm smart enough to know that no matter how good you are at doing something, there's a very good chance that there are others that are better.

I'm smart enough to know there is a lot of things I'm not very smart about.
Exactly +1
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-23-2019, 07:25 AM   #22
gone traveling

Graduated near bottom of class in college due to boredom, however had business savvy mind and streets smart and invested heavily in equities during last 30 years every month, buying more in down markets. ER'd at 51 with low IQ.
Nick12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 07:34 AM   #23
gone traveling

I'm just smart enough to get things done around the house with a level of confidence. I know virtually nothing about computer/tech/latest cell phone options, but can build you a barn, or rebuild your yard equipment. It serves me well, but have never felt the need to compare my number to others....just not relevant.

I learn much better with my hands on a project, figuring it out while I go (i'm a prototype technician) than an engineer who designs it all with difficult geometry/calculous.
ckelly78z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 07:34 AM   #24

I was always 'behind the curve' so to speak in everything from grades to sports. Neither academics or athletically inclined. I wear glasses even. Just a dumb dork. Have no idea what my wife saw in me when we married.

But I did learn one thing no one at home or school ever tried to teach me; try hard and never give up. I didn't learn that until maybe age 30 though even then. Maybe I wasn't only dumb, I was lazy, never knowing what a work ethic meant or at least give it a try. I became very successful with my work, finances, sports and personal life soon after I started to apply and commit myself fully. My home is something I built and I'm told by guests is a slice of heaven on earth. My kids never gave me a lick of trouble and are both successful in every way. My grandkids are all straight A students and participate in sports, music and are very polite.

So, as far as I'm concerned, IQ is just an epiphany of realization that if I applied myself and give it my absolute best shot, I will succeed in anything I put my mind to doing. I glad my own kids didn't need to learn the hard way that the secret to a successful life isn't a high IQ, but rather a tenacious application to do your best.
skipro33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 07:36 AM   #25
Full time employment: Posting here.

the school counselor told me i was smart enough to be anything i want to be

but i am still leaning when i should hold my breath

i have met some folks clearly smarter than me ... does that make me wise ?

You must learn from the mistakes of others. You can't possibly live long enough to make them all yourself.

Samuel Levenson
Oz investor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 07:52 AM   #26
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souschef View Post
I am a member of Mensa, but was smart enough to marry a woman with "street smarts".
+1
Me too...
(I kinda guessed about you)

Equivalency chart:
http://www.davidpbrown.co.uk/psychol...onversion.html
Old 03-23-2019, 08:30 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepford View Post
I wonder whether this includes the effects of SAT prep programs that, while now almost ubiquitous, were pretty much unknown 40+ years ago when I took the test. According to the College Board, who administers the tests, 20 hours of test prep results in an average gain of 115 points on the SAT. Since this presumably doesn't cause a similar gain in the raw intelligence of the test taker one would think this might skew this IQ estimate pretty strongly.

While I do remember my SAT score (since I had to regurgitate it for college applications over several months) my GRE scores are long forgotten.

Guess I'll just never know if I'm smart or not.

I am embarrassed to even mention my SAT scores. I will say I was at a helluva party the night before. However, luckily I was accepted on my grades which bad then we’re pretty low too.

Somehow I pulled my head out after a couple of terms in college and actually figured it out. Followed the same path while working where it took me five years to pull my head out.

Luckily I haven’t had to pull my head out in retirement
Old 03-23-2019, 08:41 AM   #28

Quote:
I wonder whether this includes the effects of SAT prep programs that, while now almost ubiquitous, were pretty much unknown 40+ years ago when I took the test. According to the College Board, who administers the tests, 20 hours of test prep results in an average gain of 115 points on the SAT. Since this presumably doesn't cause a similar gain in the raw intelligence of the test taker one would think this might skew this IQ estimate pretty strongly.

While I do remember my SAT score (since I had to regurgitate it for college applications over several months) my GRE scores are long forgotten.
Interesting wording on the CB website

Quote:
New data show studying for the SAT® for 20 hours on free Official SAT Practice on Khan Academy is associated with an average score gain of 115 points, nearly double the average score gain compared to students who don’t use Khan Academy.
Apparently, the gain is from your last test.
So kids who don't do test prep must gain about 60 points. This is all new to me (I took these exams 55 years ago).

The site I found let me specify that I took the exam a long time ago. Presumably, the effects of modern exam prep aren't relevant.
Independent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 09:15 AM   #29

Wise enough to avoid a Darwin award, although there were a few youthful close encounters.
bjorn2bwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 09:23 AM   #30

Quote:
Now if only there were a free IQ test on the web somewhere. All the ones I've seen either charge a tidy sum or appear to be a scam to get your email address.
There are self-scored SAT practice tests online, from which you can convert to IQ.
GrayHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 10:39 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by copyright1997reloaded View Post
I'm smart enough to know that I've met people who were smarter with no common sense, smarter with common sense, not as smart but with a lot of common sense, and not as smart with little common sense.

I'm smart enough to know that no matter how good you are at doing something, there's a very good chance that there are others that are better.

I'm smart enough to know there is a lot of things I'm not very smart about.
+1
Old 03-23-2019, 11:55 AM   #32
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I would like to think I'm a tad over average, but if an IQ test contained spatial questions, I would probably be in the "idiot" range!
tmm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
I was smart enough to marry DW, who is good at all the things I'm not
Old 03-23-2019, 12:36 PM   #33

I was smart enough to marry DW, who is good at all the things I'm not

I've known a few people who were SCARY smart, as in Nobel Prize (the science ones, not the political ones) smart. Every one of them had a train wreck for a personal life.

Would I trade my inferior IQ for theirs? Not if it included all the other baggage, not for one minute.
Old 03-23-2019, 01:52 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

I spent my career testing IQ, academic achievement levels, aptitude’s, interests,etc. The one thing you can’t test is motivation and that can take people very far in life. There is also a second type of intelligence and that is a great spatial aptitude can take you far in some careers. That’s one thing that is very hard to learn. You have it or you don’t.
Teacher Terry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 05:15 PM   #35

For those of you whose IQ are at genius level, what came easier for you compare/relative to others? What made you different, growing up? What worked against you?
robnplunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 05:16 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

IQ is vastly overrated. Common sense is vastly underrated. I'd prefer to see a common sense score than an IQ.

I haven't had a formal IQ test, ever. Most of the "tests" I have taken for myself have me scoring pretty high but it never really impressed me. I'm eligible for Mensa by virtue of my SAT score, but I never really felt any pull toward joining.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 05:25 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnplunder View Post
For those of you whose IQ are at genius level, what came easier for you compare/relative to others? What made you different, growing up? What worked against you?
The problem was when stuff came easy there was not an incentive to develop good study habits. It also made one lazy. I did just enough to get by, and I am not proud of it.
I graduated Engineering School with a 2.3 GPA,BUT I graduated. We had an entering class of 800, and graduated 125!
After a few false starts, I had a 50 year career in Engineering, and then retired.
Souschef is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 05:38 PM   #38

Who knows what Genius level IQ means? I went to a college where the average student IQ was supposedly 140. Does that mean they were all geniuses? It sure didn't seem like it during finals week.

Anyway, those that did manage to graduate whom I've followed in the years since all seem to have had pretty good careers (and almost all of them have been more successful than I have).
stepford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 05:57 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
+1
Me too...
(I kinda guessed about you)

Equivalency chart:
IQ conversion
Here’s another “comparison/conversion” table for a quick test that one can take online for free in <15 mins. Don’t know how accurate it is but, might be worth your time if you’re interested. Plus, you’ll know how you compare to your favorite NFL player!

ETA: notice that we get “geezer points”.
Attached Images
File Type: png 31DE03D8-298B-4557-A317-52435AD062FC.png (57.8 KB, 46 views)
Huston55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 05:59 PM   #40

From Calvin Coolidge:
Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan Press On! has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race
Souschef is online now   Reply With Quote