Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-10-2010, 06:20 PM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
Wouldn't something like this get the point across to those who matter?

Wasn't that given to all that served during the Vietnam era? May be thinking of a different medal but I received a medal having joined the Air Force in April of 75 just before the "era" ended in June 75. Was in basic training the entire time. Guess I could find my discharge papers to confirm the name of the medal? I served in the military but not in Vietnam.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-10-2010, 06:37 PM   #22
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
I think they should require some proof of service.
My DD214 shows SEA service, along with the associated ribbons/medals "earned" with my boots on the ground during that time.

Easy enough to validate. It's the only piece of paper the state would accept as proof for my VN plates.

Same proof required by the VA for my small disabilty payment (please, no comments - just trying to show how service in any area can be validated).

Old 06-10-2010, 07:19 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemartin88 View Post
Wasn't that given to all that served during the Vietnam era? May be thinking of a different medal but I received a medal having joined the Air Force in April of 75 just before the "era" ended in June 75.
I think you are referring to the National Defense Service Medal.

Quote:
In the years since the creation of the National Defense Service Medal, it is authorized only for the following time periods.
  • June 27, 1950 to July 27, 1954 for service during the Korean War
  • January 1, 1961 to August 14, 1974 for service during the Vietnam War
  • August 2, 1990 to November 30, 1995 for service during the Gulf War
  • September 11, 2001 to a date to be announced for service during the War on Terrorism

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 07:25 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
In my time, that was always referred to as the EGO medal ("Everybody Gets One").
Old 06-10-2010, 07:39 PM   #25
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemartin88 View Post
Wasn't that given to all that served during the Vietnam era? May be thinking of a different medal but I received a medal having joined the Air Force in April of 75 just before the "era" ended in June 75. Was in basic training the entire time. Guess I could find my discharge papers to confirm the name of the medal? I served in the military but not in Vietnam.
No, that would be this one
Attached Images
File Type: png 106px-National_Defense_Service_Medal_ribbon.svg.png (290 Bytes, 43 views)
Old 06-10-2010, 11:00 PM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Interesting perspectives on the "thank you for your service" comments. Between poker, and volunteering at the Pacific Aviation Museum, I meet a lot veterans. I general don't say thank you for your service, unless the guy has been in war zone.

Of course now days most serviceman and woman have served in combat zones multiple times. One guy I meet has had 5 deployments one bullet,one IED and one botched operation and he just turned 23.
Old 06-10-2010, 11:19 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
In my time, that was always referred to as the EGO medal ("Everybody Gets One").
Another award that's considered necessary but has become semantically meaningless. I know a woman wearing three of them, but she retired this week after 36 years of service.

During a COBRA GOLD exercise a few years back, spouse was in a Bangkok elevator with a dozen distinguished senior officers from several Asian & Middle Eastern countries. One of them was an Israeli officer a few years older than her. She was wearing the typical Navy cluster of ribbons on her dress khakis, and she's been around the block a few times so it was a fairly tall & shiny stack. The Israeli officer, with some confusion, asked her what combat deployments she'd been on. He knew that U.S. Navy women of her certain age had spent most of their careers being forbidden from combat duty.

As she explained, it became clear that he had thought all her ribbons were combat awards. He himself was wearing only combat-related ribbons. Luckily for him he was only wearing three of them.

The rest of the officers in the elevator just listened.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 01:23 PM   #28
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Thanks, that must be the one I was thinking of.
Old 06-11-2010, 02:19 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Ah. The service equivalent of the "participant trophy" in Little League?

"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote