Join Early Retirement Today

I survived mountain biking!
Old 11-02-2008, 06:16 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I survived mountain biking!

DH and I just got back from mountain biking with a local cycling club. The last time I mountain biked was probably, oh, over 10 years ago - and I've never been more than a "casual" mountain biker. So, I wasn't sure how this would go!

It was a ton of fun, but man was it ever tough! They set it up as a biking event for newbies. We did almost 8 miles, averaging a 7.5 mph pace. The seasoned bikers said I did pretty good keeping up, that that is not a newbie pace. I think they were being kind. (DH found it much easier than I did!)

I am happy to say, I did not fall off of my bike. I did, however, make a graceful , slow, "crash" into a very small tree, LOL! No injuries though!

While biking, I had conflicting emotions. "Wow, this is so fun!"..."OMG, I'm gonna die!"..."Yeah, I made it over that root - I'm learning!"..."OMG, I'm gonna die!"

Mountain biking is not for the faint of heart, to be sure! I haven't decided yet whether it's for me or not. Not sure if I need a better bike, more practice (or both), or if I should thank my lucky stars I'm still alive and perhaps try road biking instead, LOL.

Thought you all might enjoy hearing about my afternoon adventure torture.

(49, married; DH 53. I am fully retired as of 2015 (well ok, I still work part-time but only because I love the job and have complete freedom to call off if I want to travel with hubby for work), DH hopes to fully retire 2018 when he turns 55 to access 401K penalty-free...although he may decide to do part-time consulting)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-02-2008, 06:23 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Were you wearing a helmet?

Old 11-02-2008, 06:25 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex View Post
Were you wearing a helmet?

Most definitely!

(49, married; DH 53. I am fully retired as of 2015 (well ok, I still work part-time but only because I love the job and have complete freedom to call off if I want to travel with hubby for work), DH hopes to fully retire 2018 when he turns 55 to access 401K penalty-free...although he may decide to do part-time consulting)
Old 11-02-2008, 06:40 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

I thought mountain biking was when you took the bus to the top of that mountain in Hawaii, then rolled down on a bike.
Old 11-02-2008, 08:04 PM   #5

Surviving the the first goal. Next?
Old 11-02-2008, 11:34 PM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple girl View Post
or if I should thank my lucky stars I'm still alive and perhaps try road biking instead, LOL.
-].
You can have twice as much fun if you can go both ways!
Old 11-03-2008, 06:25 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Mountain biking in Mississippi? Actually I know it's possible. I took my dog on a hike yesterday and the trail we hike on looks and feels very much like the Tennessee hills. A little huffing and puffing involved. Boy it was pretty yesterday too. Pretty Fall colors and leaves falling. I will have to take my camera next trip.
Old 11-03-2008, 06:34 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg54 View Post
Mountain biking in Mississippi? Actually I know it's possible. I took my dog on a hike yesterday and the trail we hike on looks and feels very much like the Tennessee hills. A little huffing and puffing involved. Boy it was pretty yesterday too. Pretty Fall colors and leaves falling. I will have to take my camera next trip.

I know, kinda surpising, huh? We biked at Noxubee National Refuge. They have an extensive mountain biking trail system there. The part we went on supposedly was the easier part...yet it still had some significant hills, for sure. There were several times where I had to get off and push my bike up the hill.

Yesterday was indeed gorgeous here! The leaves are all turning. So pretty!

Old 11-04-2008, 12:51 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Ha! I just got into mountain biking a couple of months ago, myself. Got myself an awesome ride, and my friends have been taking me on some pretty great trails full of switchbacks, boulders and waterbars. The mountains around here make the cardio aspect pretty challenging, esp. when you're over 10,000 feet elevation. I crash every time because I'm not used to being clipped into the pedals, have done 3 endos so far and have some good scabs to show for it.

I should probably act my age a little more, but it's so much fun!
Old 11-04-2008, 08:42 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Thanks for the report. I resist mountain biking because I don't want to buy a second bicycle. Maybe someday.
Old 11-04-2008, 04:59 PM   #11

T-Al, I have a similar dilemma. I don't know if I really will like either road biking or mountain biking enough to invest in a good bike for either one. Right now I just have a crappy bike (think Walmart special). However, if you don't have a good bike, it's hard to tell if you are getting the real experience...

Anyways, here's a pic of someone in our group doing really well on "the log". You can see how nice the fall colors are here in MS right now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 190422.jpg (145.6 KB, 2 views)

Old 11-04-2008, 05:10 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

"The log" looks like an America's Funniest Videos clip waiting to happen.

We solved the bike purchase dilemma for DW by buying a classic 1987 road bike on craigslist for $100. She loves it.

Old 11-04-2008, 07:12 PM   #13

Yeah, I think I need to start keeping an eye out for used deals. Just not practical to buy completely new when you aren't sure it will end up being a real hobby!

Old 11-05-2008, 05:59 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

the best was a few years ago i did a 70 mile mountain biking trip. came home with not a scratch. was cleaning and re-lubing the bike when i got home and decided to take a ride in the community driveway in the back of my house to work the lube in.

a careless woman backed out of her driveway with her ford explorer and backed right into me passing by. a shattered collerbone and bruises and noooooooooo glory in getting hit in your driveway
Old 11-05-2008, 07:41 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
the best was a few years ago i did a 70 mile mountain biking trip. came home with not a scratch. was cleaning and re-lubing the bike when i got home and decided to take a ride in the community driveway in the back of my house to work the lube in.

a careless woman backed out of her driveway with her ford explorer and backed right into me passing by. a shattered collerbone and bruises and noooooooooo glory in getting hit in your driveway

That's just not right!

Old 11-05-2008, 11:02 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple girl View Post
I don't know if I really will like either road biking or mountain biking enough to invest in a good bike for either one. Right now I just have a crappy bike (think Walmart special). However, if you don't have a good bike, it's hard to tell if you are getting the real experience...
I have to say the Walmart bike thing sounds scary.
Some big bike stores near here will let you demo a high quality mountain bike to see if you like it. Costs about $50, and if you later buy from them the $50 goes towards purchase. Maybe something like that is possible in your area, also.

Unless you are hard-to-fit size-wise, (like me), you could try one out, see if it is a good match and then go find that model on the used market.
Old 11-06-2008, 02:42 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

i would never skimp on a mountain bike. you can pop a vein trying to get one of those heavy walmart specials up a hill. they are just tooooo heavy to be enjoyable on any terrain. the components are horrible. they cant shift under load most of the time and the brakes are awful when even damp. if you cant get a quality mountain bike my advise is get yourself a gearless beach cruiser and stick to a paved park trail

bike is a late 90's klein attitude

DSCN0100.JPG