Join Early Retirement Today

I think I got my leg pulled
Old 04-27-2018, 12:15 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I think I got my leg pulled

Yesterday afternoon I hung out at my local, large craft brewery (Ballast Point) for a couple of beers. As I was paying my tab I felt a tap on my shoulder and was greeted by a nice young ex-coworker whom I always enjoyed seeing.

One or two other familiar faces drifted in, as well as some unfamiliar ones, and I realized they were having a professional society (ASHRAE) meeting that evening. I chatted a bit and was introduced to an unfamiliar person who asked me where I worked. I said I used to be an engineer too, but now I'm retired. He gave me the usual "but you're too young to retire" and kept pressing it. Eventually he told me that he's retired, too. I didn't think too much of it.

Today, it dawned on me that he didn't look too much older than me and had a twinkle in his eye as he kept saying I was "too young." I think he was pulling my leg and maybe I have another ER person in my town? Hmmm, I wonder...

GalaxyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-27-2018, 12:34 PM   #2

I don't think it inconceivable that the Fermi Paradox would apply in your case.

“Every tick-tock is a second of life that passes by, that flees never to repeat itself. And it holds such intensity, such interest that the only problem is knowing how to live. May each person solve it as best they can.”

Frida Kahlo
candrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 12:35 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

My guess: He's not a reader of this forum and was indirectly asking how YOU respond to that question, as he may have heard the comment a few times.
Old 04-27-2018, 12:36 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by candrew View Post
I don't think it inconceivable that the Fermi Paradox would apply in your case.
Inconceivable? I don't think that word means what you think it does.
Old 04-27-2018, 12:59 PM   #5

My nextdoor neighbor is ER...but at the xmas party her DH got drunk and complained about how many hours she works during the summer with her kayaking business. hmmm. Everyone's definition is a little different but never too young!

FIRE in 2031 @ 50yrs old (+/- 2yrs) w/ a hypothetical $2.5mil portfolio, 3 appreciated homes worth $1.0mil and rental income to fund my gap years until RMD. Assets will go to an inherited IRA where I plan on watching the investments grow until I die or the trust gets executed.
kgtest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 01:24 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgtest View Post
My nextdoor neighbor is ER...but at the xmas party her DH got drunk and complained about how many hours she works during the summer with her kayaking business. hmmm. Everyone's definition is a little different but never too young!
I noted on another thread that it seems being ER is the new fashionable thing to be.

Everyone is out working to pay for their status symbols so now FI is the new enviable position.
Old 04-27-2018, 04:42 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
My guess: He's not a reader of this forum and was indirectly asking how YOU respond to that question, as he may have heard the comment a few times.
I've gotten that a lot the last two years. I used to try to explain or give an answer. The last time the conversation was something like:

"So, what do you do for a living?"
"Oh, I'm retired"
"Really? You're too young to retire!"
"Yeah, I get that a lot."

It's actually a much more pleasant way for that conversation to go for me.
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 05:13 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

That’s a good answer.
Old 04-27-2018, 05:44 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondCor521 View Post
I'm so stealing that. Way to shut it down but so politely, anyone who presses after that is really not getting a hint.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 06:01 PM   #10

Quote:
I've gotten that a lot the last two years. I used to try to explain or give an answer. The last time the conversation was something like:

"Oh, I'm retired"

Let's take it a step further:

"So, how'd you do it?"
Old 04-27-2018, 06:08 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerides View Post
I'm so stealing that. Way to shut it down but so politely, anyone who presses after that is really not getting a hint.
Why would you want to shut it down? It could be an interesting topic and it could be helpful to the person asking.
Old 04-27-2018, 06:18 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by redduck View Post
Why would you want to shut it down? It could be an interesting topic and it could be helpful to the person asking.
First you must be more social than me lol. But if I'm being asked that from someone I barely know, no, I don't really want to get into a discussion of finances as that is kind of tricky, right behind politics and religion.

But maybe that's just me. When I was employed, if I met someone at a party I didn't exactly want to talk about work for more than 30 seconds. Same thing really for me.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 07:57 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerides View Post
... no, I don't really want to get into a discussion of finances as that is kind of tricky, right behind politics and religion.

... I didn't exactly want to talk about work for more than 30 seconds.
I don't think it's necessary to discuss finances or work when talking about early retirement--I wouldn't want to--and certainly wouldn't in any detail. But, I might say, "Believe it or not, a whole bunch of people retire early. If you're interested I can email you some websites that might give you ideas of how to go about achieving early retirement or maybe simply a successful retirement--which is a pretty good deal itself. On one of the websites, I go by the name of "Aerides"."
Old 04-27-2018, 09:52 PM   #14

Quote:

"So, how'd you do it?"
I can't convey the tone in which I say that last line. I don't mean to shut down the conversation and am happy to continue it if someone wants to, but mostly I find that the "You're too young to retire!" part is more of a knee jerk exclamation rather than a challenge that requires explanation.

I usually say it with a sort of a nice smile on my face and a tone that acknowledges that I am in a fortunate situation due to being born on third base and having enough brains to jog home on the next base hit. Explaining why without a sincere followup can be viewed by some as bragging or arrogance, and I don't want to be that way or come across that way.

@redduck, the above followup is, IME, very very rare. Of the hundreds of people who know that I have FIREd, only one or two asked how I did it, and I'm pretty sure that one of them was a closet ER type checking to see if I knew any tricks they could add to their arsenal.

For the one or two who did ask, I answer succinctly: "My parents taught me well and gave me a great start in life, and then I worked hard, saved a lot, and invested for a number of years." If they want to discuss more I'm happy to share the way I did it, but just as sharing, not as advice.

The other 99.44% have a mixture of reactions, but curiosity is not in the picture with them.
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 11:53 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I can't convey the tone in which I say that last line. I don't mean to shut down the conversation and am happy to continue it if someone wants to, but mostly I find that the "You're too young to retire!" part is more of a knee jerk exclamation rather than a challenge that requires explanation.

I usually say it with a sort of a nice smile on my face and a tone that acknowledges that I am in a fortunate situation due to being born on third base and having enough brains to jog home on the next base hit. Explaining why without a sincere followup can be viewed by some as bragging or arrogance, and I don't want to be that way or come across that way.

@redduck, the above followup is, IME, very very rare. Of the hundreds of people who know that I have FIREd, only one or two asked how I did it, and I'm pretty sure that one of them was a closet ER type checking to see if I knew any tricks they could add to their arsenal.

For the one or two who did ask, I answer succinctly: "My parents taught me well and gave me a great start in life, and then I worked hard, saved a lot, and invested for a number of years." If they want to discuss more I'm happy to share the way I did it, but just as sharing, not as advice.

The other 99.44% have a mixture of reactions, but curiosity is not in the picture with them.
Yeah, I think you have it down. The “too young” thing is indeed a knee jerk reaction, and I’m not surprised that follow on questions about how you did it are quite rare.

It’s also easy to answer with “just saved a lot while working” although I would not share even that with someone I didn’t know.
Old 04-28-2018, 10:55 AM   #16

After 5 years of ER I don't hear the you look tooyoung as often these days.
Old 04-28-2018, 11:36 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GravitySucks View Post
After 5 years of ER I don't hear the you look tooyoung as often these days.
Yeah, we don’t get it anymore either! Not after eighteen years.
Old 04-28-2018, 12:47 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Yeah, we don’t get it anymore either! Not after eighteen years.
I heard the good life is hard on some people.

Bring it on! I w*rked hard, I play hard!
Winemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 01:09 PM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
"Oh, I'm retired"
Last week at a gathering of about 30 neighbors, all 65+a new neighbor said:

"You are kids. You must be very wealthy or have a big pension"

It became quiet quick. Fortunately DH chuckled and said "well, we're neither" and changed the topic. A couple of friends caught my attention and smiled. That was a nice way to address an inappropriate remark.
Cayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 03:48 PM   #20

Quote:

"So, how'd you do it?"
..."I just took an oath of poverty."

Also works when someone says they wish they could RE like you did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cayman View Post
Last week at a gathering of about 30 neighbors, all 65+a new neighbor said:

"You are kids. You must be very wealthy or have a big pension"

It became quiet quick. Fortunately DH chuckled and said "well, we're neither" and changed the topic. A couple of friends caught my attention and smiled. That was a nice way to address an inappropriate remark.
Good one. A quick, firm answer, and it tossed the ball back into the court of the person who made the comment.

CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote