Join Early Retirement Today

I think this parental intervention worked...
Old 07-04-2017, 10:33 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I think this parental intervention worked...

So he was non stop gaming on the computer until all hours of the night - uncommunicative, grunting responses and a tad antisocial (teenager). We (the Mrs and I) had enough. We issued an ultimatum: Get a job or no computer. It took time but he's been there over at the local supermarket for a year.

Example 1
A few days ago he's on the computer talking to a buddy who is trying to get him to take the day off... "no if I call in sick two hour before report time they will explode." The Mrs and I exchange thumbs up glances!

Example 2
He's working today July 4th taking a buddies 2-6 shift who needed the day off. Prior to this kid would never work an extra hour if his life depended on it.

Example 3
He was a bit on the 'puffy' side - lifting and stocking has him in fighting trim. According to his gym happy sister demonstrably stronger then her or her boyfriend.

Still games but college is a few short weeks away... I will give several of my I don't pay for Cs speech. It worked for his Suma Cum Sister - him I don't know... I'm praying he hooks up with an ambitious gal. God give me strength.

rayinpenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-04-2017, 11:55 AM   #2

Great news! My kids had to be either working or going to school also.

Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 12:16 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayinpenn View Post
So he was non stop gaming on the computer until all hours of the night - uncommunicative, grunting responses and a tad antisocial (teenager). We (the Mrs and I) had enough. We issued an ultimatum: Get a job or no computer. It took time but he's been there over at the local supermarket for a year.

Example 1
A few days ago he's on the computer talking to a buddy who is trying to get him to take the day off... "no if I call in sick two hour before report time they will explode." The Mrs and I exchange thumbs up glances!

Example 2
He's working today July 4th taking a buddies 2-6 shift who needed the day off. Prior to this kid would never work an extra hour if his life depended on it.

Example 3
He was a bit on the 'puffy' side - lifting and stocking has him in fighting trim. According to his gym happy sister demonstrably stronger then her or her boyfriend.

Still games but college is a few short weeks away... I will give several of my I don't pay for Cs speech. It worked for his Suma Cum Sister - him I don't know... I'm praying he hooks up with an ambitious gal. God give me strength.
Great job ray, I gave the I dont pay for C's speech too. Glad he is strong too, that will help keep the daughters boyfriends in line
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Blue Collar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 02:07 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
So he was non stop gaming on the computer until all hours of the night - uncommunicative, grunting responses and a tad antisocial (teenager). We (the Mrs and I) had enough. We issued an ultimatum: Get a job or no computer.
He used to be just like me.

No job? check
Video gaming all night? check
A tad antisocial? check

I think he was practicing for retirement. The difference is there isn't anybody who can take away my computer. I love being retired.
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 02:15 PM   #5

A lot can happen when a kid goes away to school. Sounds like he's got his head on straight, so you probably don't have much to worry about. But just like with anyone else in the world, if he's got his health, physical and mental (ie reasonably happy), you're 90% of the way there. In other words, failing or dropping a class or two isn't the end of the world. I'd predict he's going to do his best showing you he's NOT his sister!
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 05:34 PM   #6

Quote:
I'm praying he hooks up with an ambitious gal.
Hookup has a different meaning these days than it did for our generation. DS may enthusiastically embrace your advice, but the result may not be what you intended. 😎
socca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 11:09 PM   #7

Quote:

Example 1

Example 2

Example 3

Great job! Wish more parents would do this. We don't have kids but have friends who lament about how their kids don't do well in school and/or can't find jobs. But the parents fund their lifestyle so the situation continues.

Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote