I think this parental intervention worked...

rayinpenn

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
So he was non stop gaming on the computer until all hours of the night - uncommunicative, grunting responses and a tad antisocial (teenager). We (the Mrs and I) had enough. We issued an ultimatum: Get a job or no computer. It took time but he's been there over at the local supermarket for a year.

Example 1
A few days ago he's on the computer talking to a buddy who is trying to get him to take the day off... "no if I call in sick two hour before report time they will explode." The Mrs and I exchange thumbs up glances!

Example 2
He's working today July 4th taking a buddies 2-6 shift who needed the day off. Prior to this kid would never work an extra hour if his life depended on it.

Example 3
He was a bit on the 'puffy' side - lifting and stocking has him in fighting trim. According to his gym happy sister demonstrably stronger then her or her boyfriend.

Still games but college is a few short weeks away... I will give several of my I don't pay for Cs speech. It worked for his Suma Cum Sister - him I don't know... I'm praying he hooks up with an ambitious gal. God give me strength.

Great news! My kids had to be either working or going to school also.

So he was non stop gaming on the computer until all hours of the night - uncommunicative, grunting responses and a tad antisocial (teenager). We (the Mrs and I) had enough. We issued an ultimatum: Get a job or no computer. It took time but he's been there over at the local supermarket for a year.

Example 1
A few days ago he's on the computer talking to a buddy who is trying to get him to take the day off... "no if I call in sick two hour before report time they will explode." The Mrs and I exchange thumbs up glances!

Example 2
He's working today July 4th taking a buddies 2-6 shift who needed the day off. Prior to this kid would never work an extra hour if his life depended on it.

Example 3
He was a bit on the 'puffy' side - lifting and stocking has him in fighting trim. According to his gym happy sister demonstrably stronger then her or her boyfriend.

Still games but college is a few short weeks away... I will give several of my I don't pay for Cs speech. It worked for his Suma Cum Sister - him I don't know... I'm praying he hooks up with an ambitious gal. God give me strength.

Great job ray, I gave the I dont pay for C's speech too. Glad he is strong too, that will help keep the daughters boyfriends in line:D

So he was non stop gaming on the computer until all hours of the night - uncommunicative, grunting responses and a tad antisocial (teenager). We (the Mrs and I) had enough. We issued an ultimatum: Get a job or no computer.

He used to be just like me.

No job? check
Video gaming all night? check
A tad antisocial? check

I think he was practicing for retirement. :D The difference is there isn't anybody who can take away my computer. I love being retired.

A lot can happen when a kid goes away to school. Sounds like he's got his head on straight, so you probably don't have much to worry about. But just like with anyone else in the world, if he's got his health, physical and mental (ie reasonably happy), you're 90% of the way there. In other words, failing or dropping a class or two isn't the end of the world. I'd predict he's going to do his best showing you he's NOT his sister!

Example 1

Example 2

Example 3

Great job! Wish more parents would do this. We don't have kids but have friends who lament about how their kids don't do well in school and/or can't find jobs. But the parents fund their lifestyle so the situation continues.

Back
Top Bottom