Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-31-2010, 07:34 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
I think they use the "special" pot, the one that's been cooking down for the last six-eight hours, just to make sure I'll never come back again.
Naahh. That's what all Sbucks coffee tastes like if it hasn't been doctored up...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-01-2011, 06:30 AM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Couldn't agree more.
The most complicated order I've ever given at a Fourbucks was "Tall no-whip mocha."

But I often find myself in line behind someone who wants a "grande extra-hot soy with extra foam, split shot with a half squirt of sugar-free vanilla and a half squirt of sugar-free cinnamon, a half packet of splenda, oh and put that in a venti cup and fill up the "room" with extra whipped cream with caramel and chocolate sauce drizzled on top."
I guess I am not a fancy coffee person. My order consists of Good Morning Large Coffee, Black. Sometimes I'll add with half a sugar. At home I have buckwheat honey in my coffee.

Old 01-01-2011, 10:43 AM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
I'm occasionally given a Starbucks gift card, so when I'm stuck in an airport I'll order a large coffee. It's almost always greeted with a pause followed by the verbal encouragement "... And?" To which I'll add: "Black."

I think they use the "special" pot, the one that's been cooking down for the last six-eight hours, just to make sure I'll never come back again.
They know they can't expect a big tip for pouring an ordinary cup of battery acid joe
Old 01-01-2011, 10:54 AM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Oh heck, never been to $tarbuck$, the next town over has a CoffeBean, they too have many convoluted names for snazzy, read $$$$ coffe.

The only one I know and use is Americano. That would be a small espresso diluted with hot water to the size of the paper cup I ask for.

The benefit: each cup is freshly brewed.
Old 01-01-2011, 10:59 AM   #25

We were back at the coffee shop this morning, and when one of the regulars arrived he asked for directions to the nearest Starbucks, and when we were leaving he said "I'll meet you at 'that other place', know what I mean?". Where ever we go or live we always find a nice local coffee shop because you quickly get to know the staff and regular punters.

We also like places that have a variety of regular, flavored and other types, of coffee where you can help yourself.
Old 01-01-2011, 12:08 PM   #26

In some areas of the country the Starbucks are very close together. Maybe I'll start going into one Starbucks and asking for directions to the nearest other Starbucks.
Old 01-01-2011, 12:42 PM   #27

The most complicated order I've ever given at a Starbucks is "venti coffee please".

Has anyone visited a Tim Horton's? Much more down to earth. I love me some Timmie's.
Old 01-01-2011, 12:48 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
Has anyone visited a Tim Horton's? Much more down to earth. I love me some Timmie's.
We did when we were in Canada this last Fall, and yes we did like it. There aren't any down here where we live.
Old 01-01-2011, 12:51 PM   #29
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by growing_older View Post
In some areas of the country the Starbucks are very close together.
You ain't kidding!
New Starbucks Opens In Rest Room Of Existing Starbucks
Old 01-01-2011, 01:03 PM   #30

I always keep my order short....I usually get tongue tied just ordering regular coffee. I don't know how people can say all those WORDS and not get screwed up.
Old 01-01-2011, 01:31 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
The most complicated order I've ever given at a Starbucks is "venti coffee please".

Tim's is a Canadian institution. In fact, it's practically a cult! (Tim Horton was a hockey player.) In the hospital where I work, there is a Tim's and a Starbucks. The Tim's queue is always long; the Starbucks attracts few customers. The taste of Tim's coffee is more to my liking than Starbucks.
Old 01-01-2011, 02:17 PM   #32

Don't have to worry about Starbucks, the nearest one is 80 miles away.
Old 01-01-2011, 02:27 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Maybe he was a Mystery Shopper.
Old 01-01-2011, 03:23 PM   #34
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodak View Post
Don't have to worry about Starbucks, the nearest one is 80 miles away.
Not for long. As soon as the Big Barista sees your post, he will dispatch a fast-response team to rectify the oversight.
Old 01-02-2011, 02:07 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
If I were dating again, Starbucks would be a "must-do" on one of the first dates. Based on my observation of friends, the length and specificity of the coffee order is a good indicator of how fussy, picky, and high-maintenance a person is.

Hmm - regular coffee, fill it halfway and I'll add the rest at the bar where they have skim milk, half and half and cream.......the milk lightens and cools the coffee. In the summer throw it over ice.

Great idea - determination of lifestyle expectations by your order at a coffee place.
Old 01-02-2011, 02:14 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
But I often find myself in line behind someone who wants a "grande extra-hot soy with extra foam, split shot with a half squirt of sugar-free vanilla and a half squirt of sugar-free cinnamon, a half packet of splenda, oh and put that in a venti cup and fill up the "room" with extra whipped cream with caramel and chocolate sauce drizzled on top."
Here in Germany, it's no, you get what we have on the menu :-) I tried to get a half hot cocoa-half coffee mixed at the Schilthorn (Switzerland ski resort with rotating restaurant where 'Her Majesty's Secret Service' was filmed) with my James Bond Breakfast and they said I could have the hot cocoa or the coffee - was my first weekend living in Europe - Wilkommen!!!!
Old 01-02-2011, 02:29 PM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Whenever I'm in a Starbucks I always order "Small/Medium/or Large Drip Coffee" and wait to see if they make me translate to Starbuckese for the sizes. In the Bay Area they always do, here in Eastern Washington they do the translation in their heads and let it go.
Old 01-02-2011, 02:42 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westernskies View Post
Not for long. As soon as the Big Barista sees your post, he will dispatch a fast-response team to rectify the oversight.
I don't think it would do much good. If Starbucks coffee is really about $4.00 I can't imagine too many around here would be willing to pay that price. This area is primarily German, Scots, Irish, Norwegian, and Icelandic ancestry and notoriously frugal.
Old 01-02-2011, 02:46 PM   #39
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
When my friend visited in September, we stopped at a Starbucks (he speaks the language); I didn't know what they were discussing. I did ask if they had something without caffeine and sugar. They did, and it was a good beverage.
Old 01-02-2011, 03:15 PM   #40
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodak View Post
I don't think it would do much good. If Starbucks coffee is really about $4.00 I can't imagine too many around here would be willing to pay that price. This area is primarily German, Scots, Irish, Norwegian, and Icelandic ancestry and notoriously frugal.
Lots of Scandahoovians in Seattle, too.