Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-06-2007, 10:32 AM   #21
Dryer sheet aficionado

What is MythTV? I've never heard of it...

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-06-2007, 10:39 AM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by layla17 View Post
What is MythTV? I've never heard of it...
There is a link to the screen-shot page at the bottom of my post. In the Main Menu on the left hand side of that page is a link to the Wiki. The MythTV FAQ is at the link below...

Frequently Asked Questions - MythTV

And the intro...

User Manual:Introduction - MythTV

NotSoonEnough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 11:52 AM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

If the phrase "download an ISO image and burn it to a disk, then after installing and booting the tailored linux distro and loading the mythtv software configuring the drivers, services and applications to your configuration" makes you say "whaaa?", mythtv is probably not for you.

If you find yourself regularly playing with linux, you'll find it a piece of cake.

Decent, but not as good as a tivo.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 02:05 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

If I wanted to record TV on my PC, I'd probably start here:

Why - Record TV on your PC - CNET.com Digital Home - CNET.com
Old 12-06-2007, 05:17 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple girl View Post
So....we could have used our old VCR as a "tuner"...but unfortunately threw it out! So Nords (and whoever else doesn't want to make the same mistake as us!), don't throw out your old VCR's! The tuners may still be good and you can route the signal through them to your new DVD/VCR (as long as I am understanding the above correctly).

We will be looking at local pawn shops/etc. for an old VCR we can rescue
The thrifts usually have piles of them, but after 2009 they will be obsolete because they will have nothing to tune to since analog signals will be going away. They might still work on cable until they all go digital though.
Old 12-06-2007, 08:22 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by saluki9 View Post
Nords, I'm coming to Honolulu next week, should I bring my 1998 era Sony with me?
This thread (and analog TV's planned obsolescence) fill me with foreboding. If you're getting rid of it and don't mind the hauling hassle, I'd be delighted to take it off your hands!

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 09:10 PM   #27
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I have a pile of VCRs in the basement. I can usually patch em up to run for awhile and then they quit....always mechanical problems with the tape drive. The tuners seem to work great so I'm reluctant to trash 'em, but I have taken a couple to be recycled.
Old 12-09-2007, 11:31 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
My understanding is that the retail outlets dropped the 'unbundled' DVRs because they just could not sell them next to the same unit with a 'discounted' (but bundled subscription) price. I guess the average consumer does not look at a monthly charge as 'real money'. So I suffer for it.
BTW, here's the antidote to situations in which one is disadvantaged by either the stupidity of other people or by marketing that profits from it:

Realize that there are many situations in which you can take advantage of that.

For example, marketers have found that by having larger portion sizes in a meal, they can charge more for it, even though their costs of producing it are only marginally higher. So, you take advantage of it by splitting the meal with someone else. For example, you could go to Denny's, split a $4.99 grand slam breakfast, and still get more food that you should eat at a single meal.
Old 12-09-2007, 08:20 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

T-Al, true in some cases (like dropping home prices), but I don't see a way to play this one.

If you could manually program the DVR w/o a subscription, that would be one way. But, AFAIK they lock the thing out completely w/o a current subscription.

-ERD50
Old 12-13-2007, 04:00 PM   #30

Quote:
We had an old VCR (bought in the early 1990's) that finally broke. So, we had to go out and buy a new one. Got a DVD/VCR combo (seems like they don't sell stand-alone VCR's anymore).
My late father anticipated this situation, so he stashed away four (!) new VCRs as back-ups.

He died last year and my mother has been cleaning up the house ever since. She kept one of the spares, gave one to me, and sold the other two at a garage sale. They went for $10 each, new in the box.
Old 12-13-2007, 05:01 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton View Post
My late father anticipated this situation, so he stashed away four (!) new VCRs as back-ups.

He died last year and my mother has been cleaning up the house ever since. She kept one of the spares, gave one to me, and sold the other two at a garage sale. They went for $10 each, new in the box.

Reminds me of a (late) good friend. He bought out all the Beta tapes from video rental stores that he could find and bought two new Beta players to play them on. Lasted him the rest of his life.
Old 12-13-2007, 06:46 PM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Fast-forward to today and you'll be hard pressed to find a DVD recorder with a hard drive, and if you go to eBay it might cost you nearly $2,000 to pick up an older model.
I'm not sure I follow this. What do they record to? Media only?
Old 12-14-2007, 11:55 AM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

Some DVD R/DVRs with hard drives are available

The Phillips DVDR 3575H ~$300, Magnavox H2080MW8 ~$100 are DVRs without subscriptions. They have ATSC tuners but convert HD to SD, so they aren't really the latest thing, but the manufacturers have noticed the price rise in used equipment, so maybe in a year or two there will be something without a subscription. Many DVD Rs record to media only though, like the Panasonics.
Old 01-01-2008, 09:46 AM   #34

Quote:
Wow, thanks for the great replies. I shared the info with DH. Then I went and searched the net a little more and found this:

" Because all tv broadcasts are switching to digital broadcasting in 2009, manufacturers are required to make the newer machines either with a digital tuner or no tuner at all. The digital tuners are more expensive, and so a lot of the less expensive machines currently in stores don't have any tuner at all. The only way to record tv shows on such a machine is to attach something else with a tuner (e.g., a cable box or another vcr) to the line input jacks on the machine, and then use the other device to tune in the channels. (If you have an older vcr that still tunes in the channels but doesn't record so well, you might want to use that). It is still possible in some stores to get older models of some devices that still have the analog tuners, but they're getting harder and harder to find."

So....we could have used our old VCR as a "tuner"...but unfortunately threw it out! So Nords (and whoever else doesn't want to make the same mistake as us!), don't throw out your old VCR's! The tuners may still be good and you can route the signal through them to your new DVD/VCR (as long as I am understanding the above correctly).

We will be looking at local pawn shops/etc. for an old VCR we can rescue
Well, an update. We found an old VCR at a local pawn shop for $15. Returned the cable box, so no more additional $10/mo charge from the cable company. Old VCR tunes the shows to our new VCR/DVD just fine! Score another one for the LBYM types!

(49, married; DH 53. I am fully retired as of 2015 (well ok, I still work part-time but only because I love the job and have complete freedom to call off if I want to travel with hubby for work), DH hopes to fully retire 2018 when he turns 55 to access 401K penalty-free...although he may decide to do part-time consulting)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 10:09 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

For about 400-and-something days it will. Then the analog tuner will stop working for OTA broadcasts.

The pisser with these tunerless vcr's is that even if you can get a digital tuner box for free with the feds $40 coupon program, the vcr has no way to change the channel on the dtv box.

They'll still work with analog cable as long as thats offered. What happens with that after "the switch" is debatable. The cable companies may send analog versions of the digital channels down the wire for a while, maybe a long while. They might also charge extra for that while offering better deals on basic digital cable packages until they squeeze enough people off the analog feed to dump it. Cable companies REALLY want you on the digital service with a digital box or cablecard, because then they can pitch premium channels, PPV's and on-demand services, which are where the real profit $ are.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 01:34 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
The cablecos have to relinquish their bandwidth so an analogue option does not exist. Their digital technology enables channels to be presented on demand at the nearest node, so if everyone is watching the SuperBowl, then the rest of the cable capacity is available for other things.

OTOH the digital menu enables you to program it to switch to desired programs so the VCR just has to record from its feed at the corresponding times.