Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-09-2012, 03:37 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
I'm waiting for them to offer an AK-47 or AR-15 season on deer here. I've seen whole herds of the critters roaming through meadows and farm fields near wooded areas. A friend of mine lost his 12 year old daughter when a dear came though the windshield upon impact. Lovely as they are, they are very dangerous. There is little you can do to be safe as the poor animals do not operate by any logic system we would recognize. One night, in the fog, I swore I saw several folks congregated on the Interstate just ahead in a patch of fog (back lit by the on-coming traffic). Naturally I slowed way down, only to find several dear sauntering across the road as if nothing was amiss. One time, on a mile long bridged stretch of Interstate, I saw 6 fresh deer kills off to the side of the road. Bridges are like roach motels for deer. It's a shame, really, but I swear deer are dumber than sheep when it comes to cars. YMMV
Actually one can improve the safety of ones vehicle by putting a front deer guard on the vehicle. Here in the Texas Hill country if you live in the country you need them because the deer are so thick. Of course people don't want cougars around who would take care of the deer problem quickly. I have seen foxes around and want more of them to take care of the mice and the like with their tails as long as they are they are quite pretty.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-09-2012, 08:15 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I was driving one night and saw a young deer, and I slowed to about 15 MPH. But the deer suddenly charged into the side of the truck. He seemed OK.

I also remember driving 60 on a cold Michigan highway at night. A deer just appeared inches in front of the car, flying from one side to another. I still have that image in my head, like a flash photo.

Old 06-10-2012, 01:39 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
Swirl of Squirrel
OT: Note that in British English pronunciation (where the "r" in "Swirl" is not really a consonant), that is not a rhyme. Brits reading that would scratch their heads until an American pronounced it for them. To see what I mean, go here and enter that phrase, using one of the UK: voices ("Rachel" is pretty well done, given that it's synthesised).
Old 06-10-2012, 02:00 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigNick View Post
OT: Note that in British English pronunciation (where the "r" in "Swirl" is not really a consonant), that is not a rhyme. Brits reading that would scratch their heads until an American pronounced it for them. To see what I mean, go here and enter that phrase, using one of the UK: voices ("Rachel" is pretty well done, given that it's synthesised).
Yep, England and the US: Two countries divided by a common language.

Thanks for the cool app.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 09:10 PM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

So driving back home today, it almost happened again. Once again, I was driving on a four lane interstate when a deer (larger one this time) tried to cross my path. First the deer's life flashed before my eye, then my life flashed before my eyes. I accelerated and the deer scampered back (for a split second I didn't know if the deer was going to go forward right in front of me, or go back).

Then I saw the deer go and try to cross again. My first instinct was to look to see what happened, the I decided to look away and just imagine the deer missed traffic and made it safely. Not knowing was the best option.