Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-23-2012, 01:50 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Aw, whether we are for or against the Oxford comma, we should view people in the other camp as committers of non-moving traffic violations such as overstaying a parking meter. It is certainly not the same class of serious offenses such as running red lights, failing to make a complete stop at stop signs, and speeding through a school zone.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2012, 01:55 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
What do you do with the wretches when you catch them?
Ha
<snicker>
I save them in a list!

Here's one: (The book) is a compelling novel about a young man wrongly implicated in a grizzly murder.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 02:06 PM   #23

Language warning though
Old 07-23-2012, 03:09 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Some companies give IQ tests (I know two people with two different companies who had to take them...)
Old 07-23-2012, 03:55 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

The joys of being an engineer. My last two jobs I think they hired me primarily because I could be spell "C". I know the difference between to and too, although reading most of my posts you'd never know it.
Old 07-23-2012, 06:09 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
What do you do with the wretches when you catch them?

Ha
There is good eating on those things, but you have to brine them first.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 01:41 AM   #27

Please kindly remember that millions of people living in the US were born in non-English speaking countries (including myself), hence the occasional typos, poor construction of sentences, or grammatical errors.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 01:01 AM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by obgyn65 View Post
Please kindly remember that millions of people living in the US were born in non-English speaking countries (including myself), hence the occasional typos, poor construction of sentences, or grammatical errors.
Usually the Americans who feel obligated to point out non-English speaker's errors haven't bothered to make the effort of learning a second language, let alone being able to risk typos & poor grammar.

The state of Hawaii provides court interpreters for over 200 officially-recognized languages...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 07:27 AM   #29

American English is a second language for me. Learned it starting at age 17.

I'd say look at my typos, punctuation errors, and incorrect sentence structure as if you were listening to my thick foreign accent, even after more than 45 years in this country.

Ditto for the run on sentences.

Besides, I do enjoy reading stuff with spelling errors etc., they conjure up interesting concepts and images.
Old 07-30-2012, 07:40 AM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by obgyn65 View Post
That's a good point--I wonder if the guy in the OP would sit up on the gurnee on the way into major surgery and call a halt to things if he heard the surgeon use a misplaced modifier (regardless of whether the surgeon was a native English speaker or from a non-English speaking country).
Old 07-30-2012, 07:54 AM   #31

I sure am glad no one applied this rule to me when I went to work in Venezuela. My Spanish then was good, lots of mistakes, but still people always went out of their way to help me. They seemed to appreciate what I had achieved even when imperfect. In fact, the only criticism I recall was from a family member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Usually the Americans who feel obligated to point out non-English speaker's errors haven't bothered to make the effort of learning a second language, let alone being able to risk typos & poor grammar.
My thought as well..
Old 07-30-2012, 08:02 AM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

His business depends on having accurate grammar and sentence structure. So it makes perfect sense to throw out resumes with poor grammar and punctuation. I used to hire engineering types and expected their resume to have accurate spelling and grammar. It is someone's first introduction to their perspective new employer. I would expect them to put a good product together to show them in the best possible light. I have eliminated candidates when there are obvious errors on the resume with spelling, grammar and format. Punctuation, not so much unless it was really bad.
Old 07-30-2012, 08:14 AM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by l2ridehd View Post
His business depends on having accurate grammar and sentence structure. So it makes perfect sense to throw out resumes with poor grammar and punctuation. I used to hire engineering types and expected their resume to have accurate spelling and grammar. It is someone's first introduction to their perspective new employer. I would expect them to put a good product together to show them in the best possible light. I have eliminated candidates when there are obvious errors on the resume with spelling, grammar and format. Punctuation, not so much unless it was really bad.
I think the guy in the OP is just touting his own business.

(PS and just having fun here: would you have thrown out a resume that referred to a "perspective new employer"?)
Old 07-30-2012, 08:21 AM   #34

The last few posts reminded me of my grandson's searching for a job in the past year in the medical field. I asked him if he had any interviews recently and he began to tell me about how companies operate in the modern era. He says applications are now by email, reviewed and then request made by email for additional info if the company is interested at all. The first phone call is made where company actually gets to hear your voice and the first face to face interview is on skype. Strange ways these days!
Old 07-30-2012, 08:48 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNNIE36 View Post
applications are now by email, reviewed and then request made by email for additional info if the company is interested at all.
And the first 'reviewer' might well be an automated spelling/grammar filter which deep-sixes the 'undesirables'.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 09:18 AM   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Even worse, the first reviewer is probably looking for pertinent keywords and will not recognize a nonstandard spelling of one (maybe a hyphenated version, or a closed compound) and thus might skip right past a qualified candidate.
Old 07-30-2012, 01:33 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

I am not a student of linguistics or literature, but I always try to write correctly. And trying hard as I have been, I still make plenty of mistakes. My posts here can be picked apart by anyone.

I usually read and reread my posts after I make them, and try to catch and edit out the errors before someone else quotes them in their reply and freezes my mistakes for eternity, catching me with my pants down for the entire world to see. OK, it's not the entire world but the few thousand viewers of a typical thread anyway. I consider any mistake an embarrassment.

I know the difference between they're, their, and there. Also, I know it's from its. Regarding the latter mistake, I have seen it more and more. I wonder why that is so, for just a three-letter word. Maybe more people are getting senile. For example, recently I caught myself mixing up the two words then and than in a post, but luckily was able to fix it immediately afterwards. Or on reading back my post, I would spot a badly placed comma.

Could it be that in this modern world where nearly everyone can type faster than he can write, we are so anxious to get our words out there on the "cloud" that we have become careless? In the old days when we wrote longhand, we had to slow down and compose our thought first before committing it on paper using a quill pen. I just recall now that I did have to use a quill pen dipped in ink in elemetary school. Schoolchildren's hands were nearly permanently ink-stained. I had a huge callus on my middle finger due to a hard grip on that pen. Oh, the good ole days! In middle school, we graduated to ink fountain pens. Kids really valued their personal pens with gold-plated nibs. We were never allowed to write in pencil, so that we could erase mistakes.

I have noticed in my career that the older engineers tend to write a lot better than the youngins. They are also annoyed by the more atrocious mistakes. So, a good way for a young engineer to distinguish himself from the pack is to be able to write a bit better. Technical writing is easy. Reports or even published technical articles are not rated for literary or poetic contents, although I have seen some that read like a science fiction with all their bogus claims.

Just some ramblings from a non-native English speaker... I have the same alibi as ls99's and have been here for even fewer years, so don't anybody pick on me!

PS. On second thought, ls99 and myself I have been here before some of the youngsters were born. Lame excuse, I guess.
Old 07-30-2012, 03:59 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
myself
Here's one usage you may want to double check.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 04:05 PM   #39

There's a special place in Hades for grammar police...
Old 07-30-2012, 04:48 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

See, what did I tell you about getting senile? And getting your error frozen and not being able to edit it out, when you discover it after the "edit time-out" period? That sucks!

I think the many years I spent here stop adding to my writing ability long ago. After a certain point, your writing only goes downhill. It's the same with building up vocabulary.

I read somewhere that a person's vocabulary stops growing in his early 20s. You are stuck with the number of words you knew when you got out of college, and that's it. I have pretty much given up on learning a new language. Still hanging on to the ability to spell Wellesley so that I can send them my money, but that may be slipping away too.

"It's sad, it's so sad", sang Sir Elton John.

PS. By the way, I also found that the word for the pen that we used was not "quill pen", but "dip pen". It had a nib and was not made from a feather. Just a clarification that is important as I do not want to be called a liar if someone finds out.