Join Early Retirement Today

Ice cube recipe
Old 08-24-2012, 01:41 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Ice cube recipe

I know that many readers of this forum are interested in healthy, good eating. So, I offer this link to a recipe on how to make ice-cubes.

Ice Cubes Recipe - Food.com - 420398

My first thought is that the low-carb people will be thrilled to have another recipe that meets their exacting needs.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-24-2012, 02:02 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

. Love the comments.

I was in Branson recently and shopped at several of the kitchen stores. I was amazed at the types of ice trays offered...my favorite was the ice cube tray that created ice shot glasses...the scotch didn't come with it though, so I passed.
TrvlBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 03:38 PM   #3

Now, how does one run into a recipe like this? Did you do a search for instructions for making ice cubes?
Tadpole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 06:10 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tadpole View Post
Now, how does one run into a recipe like this? Did you do a search for instructions for making ice cubes?
I think it popped up in another thread recently. I didn't get back to comment on that, but I read the 'recipe' and the comments are hilarious (as is the satirical nature of the 'recipe'). I figured that people wouldn't see the humor in themselves, but they were excellent.

And then you get a couple: "A recipe for ice cubes, seriously?"

'just like gramma made, but she went to her grave with the recipe.... I'm a busy, working mother of twins, do you have a crock-pot version of this recipe? ...'

-ERD50
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 08:23 PM   #5

In July we traveled to see DH's mom and we stayed in her home for a week. She politely told me I was making the ice cubes wrong. I love her dearly and we don't get to see her very often. I asked her how she wanted them made and then followed her directions. For anything after that (laundry, dishwasher, flower watering, etc.) I found it was easier to just ask her how she wanted me to do something rather than enter a discussion (long, entangled, diving off onto tangents that never return to the topic, now what we we talking about?)......

Anyways, she's 83 and the only Mom I have left, if she's happy giving me all the info I need on making ice cubes, well then, I may as well take notes.

The dishwasher issue is for a whole 'nother discussion.
Old 08-24-2012, 09:29 PM   #6

Hilarious! Thanks for posting Chuckanut. I needed a good laugh!
:-)
sheehs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 11:04 AM   #7

Great stuff!

Obviously, the recipe-writer hoped the family would get the hint. Sadly, experience shows they did not. Why? Well because the recipe-writer always takes care of it!

They should be introduced to Sue J's mother-in-law, she can straighten anyone out!

-- Rita
Old 08-25-2012, 12:16 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue J
In July we traveled to see DH's mom and we stayed in her home for a week. She politely told me I was making the ice cubes wrong. I love her dearly and we don't get to see her very often. I asked her how she wanted them made and then followed her directions. For anything after that (laundry, dishwasher, flower watering, etc.) I found it was easier to just ask her how she wanted me to do something rather than enter a discussion (long, entangled, diving off onto tangents that never return to the topic, now what we we talking about?)......

Anyways, she's 83 and the only Mom I have left, if she's happy giving me all the info I need on making ice cubes, well then, I may as well take notes.

The dishwasher issue is for a whole 'nother discussion.
Sue J is clearly the Nicest Person Ever.......
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 12:40 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

The hardest part in ice cube making is carrying the trays from the sink to the fridge without spilling. And one must make sure the trays sit level in the freezer. Ditto if the trays are stacked. I am glad I have an ice maker.

The recipe does not offer any technique to conquer the above difficulties that I myself experienced. Booh!

I recently had to relearn the art of ice cube making. The fridge in my RV does not have an ice maker.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 01:30 PM   #10

The comments are the best part of this recipe.
powerplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 01:46 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

I thought this was going to be a thread about ice cube recipes. As in, make a big batch of salsa, guacamole, pico de gallo, sauce, marinade, etc and then freeze tiny batches in ice cubes for single serving portions.
Old 08-25-2012, 03:27 PM   #12

When I was a teenager, I spent most of my summer days at the beach with my friends. I was a fanatic about iced coffee (it's a NYC thing) and always took a big thermos of the stuff to the beach with me. I used to make a strong pot of coffee and pour it into ice cube trays. Then I could make a normal pot of coffee, let it cool, then mix it with those coffee cubes in the thermos to have a perfect mixture.

Haven't thought about that for 50 years, so thanks for the good laugh.
Old 08-25-2012, 03:56 PM   #13

I love it ! But it made my stomach hurt (don't know if was the actual recipe or if it was from reading the comments while consuming the result that did it)
Hebrews 12:11

ER'd in June 2015 at age 52. Initial WR 3%. 50/40/10 (Equity/Bond/Short Term) AA.
Live And Learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 04:25 PM   #14

I'm surprised "someone" did not reply something like:

- Go to appliance store.
- Buy refrigerator with built in Ice-Maker.
- Have it delivered.
- Plug in, wait 2 hours and enjoy!

Of course they may have and I just did not read the over 400 responses. !
sheehs1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ice cube