Ice wave on Mille Lacs lake in Minnesota.

Wow, that's pretty amazing. Sustained wind can do amazing things when conditions are just right.

I've never seen anything like this, where the ice started advancing over land. This is really freaky.

I did see something awesome on Lake Michigan during really cold winters many years ago. What happened there was something similar, except the ice was 2 inches thick. A very large sheet (many miles long) was being pushed into shore in Chicago. The sheet would hit land and explode into chunks about 4 feet in diameter. They would then stack vertically and continue this process out into the water -- not on land like the video showed. So, it was safe and didn't hurt property, but the site of 2 inch ice exploding and breaking was unbelievable.

We live on a lake and I have seen the ice come up on shore, but not like that - and certainly not where it has hit homes (boathouses yes, but not homes).

The power of ice on the move is amazing. As a kid I recall the ice hitting a 1 1/2" steel pipe the stuck up out of the water. It bent it over like me breaking a toothpick.

We had an odd thing happen this spring. The ice was pretty thin and on the move and my neighbor has a mooring buoy that she keeps out all year. The ice would hit the buoy and force it underwater but then the buoyancy of the buoy would cause it to pop up and break the thin ice and the process kept repeating itself for about 5 minutes - entertaining. I tried to take a video of it but messed up and had the video on pause for 5 minutes that I thought I was filming - by the time I figured it out it was over.

This is a link to a news story about the same thing earlier this weekend on Lake Manitoba. Total destruction due to the power of nature. We need to learn where not to build!
We, and more particularly insurance companies, know where it is very risky to build. But our knowledge cannot prevent governments from taking on these risks, courtesy of the taxpayer.

Ha

Caller to insurance company: "Moving ice has just crushed my house."
Insurance company: "Sorry, you are not covered for that."
Now that's cold!

I have never even heard of frozen waves and colored icebergs. They are beautiful. Thanks for posting.

Back
Top Bottom