Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-18-2008, 08:26 AM   #41
Moderator Emeritus

Speaking of birds, I just ran outside because there was so much noise up high. The geese are flying south over our house, hundreds of them. Beautiful.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-18-2008, 08:34 AM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
To the OP your bird looks like a female/juvenile Black Headed Grosbeak
http://www.photobirder.com/Bird_Phot...d_grosbeak.jpg
jambo, that is why the pictures are so tough. Sounds too big for a grosbeak.

Lazy, can I come and bird watch in your lovely yard?
And, according to this map found with the Wikipedia article, the usual range of the black headed grosbeak doesn't include Florida.

Does Odo sing, or make any sound at all? That's another possible way to ID him.

Old 11-18-2008, 10:38 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
You can easily take a decent photo of your elusive little brown birde while using these and then download them to your computer and share them with us.
you don't seem to comprehend the nature of the odo. you see, it isn't me. odo is like god; you can not look at him directly lest you turn to dust. odo has stolen duke university's cloak of invisibility. it isn't the camera. it isn't the power of the lense. binocholars won't make a difference. hubble couldn't get this shot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
To the OP your bird looks like a female/juvenile Black Headed Grosbeak
http://www.photobirder.com/Bird_Phot...d_grosbeak.jpg
duck, i am now going to break out my bird gun and shoot you.

Quote:
Lazy, can I come and bird watch in your lovely yard?
i am already setting up for you. considering that odo can not be seen, this could not be more appropriate...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyounge1956 View Post
Does Odo sing, or make any sound at all? That's another possible way to ID him.
not a peep

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 11:39 AM   #44
Moderator Emeritus

Ahh, I understand. Odo has not yet taught us the way, perhaps the chant, perhaps the bow, that will reveal the glory
Old 11-18-2008, 01:25 PM   #45

almighty odo has left us holy remnants of his true self. scat.

speaking of bird poop and geese, there was a ton of this stuff all over the place when i visited jersey & new york. yuck. curb your geese please.

ps. while in garden i found gertrude set up shop right alongside the birdbath. gertrude, this is everyone. everyone, this is gertrude...

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
Old 11-18-2008, 03:26 PM   #46
Recycles dryer sheets

I agree with others here that the mystery bird in your first 3 pics is of the nighthawk/whippoorwill ilk.

#4, #7 Male Cardinal
#5 Red-Bellied Woodpecker – probably female?
#6 American Redstart
#8 Difficult to tell, maybe two different warblers? – I’m not really good at IDing those.
#9 Female Cardinal
#10 Oriole - most resembles Spot-Breasted or Spotted Oriole im my guidebooks. Says released to or escaped to SE Florida region.
#11 Blue Jay
#12 Dove (Ring necked?)
#13 Catbird

Please post more pics, this is fun!
Old 11-18-2008, 04:11 PM   #47
Full time employment: Posting here.

Lazy, can you hear his wings flapping when he flies? I'd always heard that owls have silent flight. Also, how big is he, including tail?

Just a thought....
Old 11-18-2008, 05:52 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by gettingthere View Post
#12 Dove (Ring necked?)
mourning dove, actually. named for their woooo woooo sound when they fly. i've read they can reach 55 mph though they never struck me as all too bright. i notice they are often dinner for my end of summer falcon or hawk or whatever that one is who visits yearly, about twice the size of odo (not the dove) but no pic yet.

Quote:
#6 American Redstart
wow, impressive. good call. just looked him up. that sure is it. had no idea. i thought it was some kind of finch.

Quote:
#13 Catbird
getting, yer good at this. i guess that makes my birdbath the catbird seat. i was wondering who that one was. he's very secretive. i have to be careful he doesn't see me at the window or he flies off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urchina View Post
Lazy, can you hear his wings flapping when he flies? I'd always heard that owls have silent flight. Also, how big is he, including tail?
no, i've already stated that odo's flight is completely silent, like an owl. it's actually disturbing to watch such a big bird making no noise. he only makes noise on take off from a branch when the branch bounces back or when he hits one of the branches or bamboos or fronds on his way under and through the lower canopies, which create quite the obstacle course for him.

Old 11-18-2008, 08:03 PM   #49
Moderator Emeritus

Lazy, I don't think that it is a mourning dove, but is a Eurasian dove (or maybe a ring necked). The marking on its neck is not like a mourning dove.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 03:06 PM   #50

ok, i'm gonna have to check myself before i speak now. we have so many mourning doves that i didn't know there was a similar dove here. if only we didn't have a don't ask don't tell policy, maybe i'd finally realize nature's diversity.

Old 11-20-2008, 11:09 AM   #51

rudely awoken out of bed by, i suspected, odo, between 3 & 4 in the a.m., i stand corrected this afternoon. i heard knocking against the side of the house. apparently, odo had turned on the motion sensitive spot lights. i only looked out the window to see a flash of something moving for a second. but i continued to hear banging against the house, on the roof and against the awnings. i didn't want to go outside to disturb anyone's dinner, so once things quieted down, i settled back to sleep.

just now i went outside to investigate. preferring ground dwelling, odo had been sleeping by the bottle palms. i didn't see him but i saw vegetation move when he took off. also this time i heard his wings flapping or hitting the vegetation on ascent. odo landed again on the electric line, not far from where he was feeding early this morning.

martha, should you ever get to south florida, i owe you lunch. odo is no owl. odo is indeed my first nighthawk. and he is wonderful. today he let me get a little closer. for the first time we met eye to eye, maybe 15-20 feet away. but as soon as i tried to take another step he took off and again disappeared into the other side of the garden. and i mean disappeared. i watched to where he flew but could not again find him. odo is a little like love. alluring but elusive. captivating but never caught. odo has made his home, however temporary, however long, within the boundries of this garden, but here he is free.

intoducing odo. odo, this is everybody; everybody, here is odo:

Old 11-20-2008, 11:57 AM   #52
Moderator Emeritus

Lovely catch Lazy.

Old 11-20-2008, 01:20 PM   #53

thanx martha. i was pleased to finally get a clear view.

meanwhile
Quote:
Occasionally single birds may be found overwintering. The nighthawk is also occasionally found as a vagrant to the US Gulf Coast states to Florida
source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lesser_Nighthawk

see, first that aggressive bum at the supermarket and now a vagrant in my own garden. obviously a sign of the times.

Old 11-20-2008, 03:18 PM   #54
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazygood4nothinbum View Post
thanx martha. i was pleased to finally get a clear view.

meanwhile
source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lesser_Nighthawk

see, first that aggressive bum at the supermarket and now a vagrant in my own garden. obviously a sign of the times.
I think one used to hang out in my parents' yard in Gulf Shores AL.
Old 11-20-2008, 08:15 PM   #55
Recycles dryer sheets

whipperwhill(sp?) is the bird in the first 2-3 photos. Night bird. Distinctive call at sunset
and sunrise.
Old 11-20-2008, 08:49 PM   #56
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Not a Lesser Nighthawk if he's in FL. They're western birds. I was thinking Whippoorwill too, because of the lack of the bars on the wings. Could also be a Chuck-will's widow. Have you heard the call?

Here's a good site for identifying. Has the range maps and the calls, both of which are helpful. Chuck-will's-widow - Whatbird.com
Old 11-20-2008, 09:04 PM   #57
Moderator Emeritus

There are nighthawks in Florida, e.g. the common nighthawk. Lazy said silent and that whip-poor-will song is sure is distinctive. They are the same genus aren't they?

Lazy, do you know the sound of a whip-poor-will? It would be quite loud and rhythmic, starting after dark. Sounds like the name.

Old 11-20-2008, 09:12 PM   #58
Moderator Emeritus

This is fun--bird calls of a number of Florida birds: Florida Bird Sounds

Old 11-20-2008, 09:14 PM   #59
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
There are nighthawks in Florida, e.g. the common nighthawk. Lazy said silent and that whip-poor-will song is sure is distinctive. They are the same genus aren't they?
Absolutely. But they also have those incredibly distinctive bars on the wings and tail. I have no idea what Odo is, but I'm leaning toward the Chucks Will Widow. They also have a distinct call, but look a lot like Lazy's pictures.

Old 11-20-2008, 09:44 PM   #60
Moderator Emeritus

Could be, Harley. Their song is loud yes? But not as distinctive as the whip-poor-will. Lazy, you can check for song on the link I posted above.