Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-20-2008, 11:27 PM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Absolutely. But they also have those incredibly distinctive bars on the wings and tail. I have no idea what Odo is, but I'm leaning toward the Chucks Will Widow. They also have a distinct call, but look a lot like Lazy's pictures. (snip)
Also, they don't have a white patch on the wing, which I think you also mentioned was one of Odo's characteristics. And check out the shape of Odo's tail feathers compared to the photo of Chuck-wills-widow. Very similar, IMO. The only difference I see is the chuck-wills-widow appears to be banded or checkered on the underside of the tail feathers but Odo's appear to be more or less solid colored. Maybe he's a juvenile? Chuck-wills-widow has the right range (southeastern US, including Florida) and the description I read sounded like about the right size: 11" long, wingspan about two feet. Whippoorwills are smaller.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-21-2008, 12:07 AM   #62

bare in mind that i've no idea what i'm doing. from all the online pics i'm sifting through, i think it is closer to harley's chuck-will's widow than it is to mike hall's whippoorwill. as far as i know, i haven't heard, odo sing yet. i'm not yet ruling out a rogue lesser nighthawk. those extra feathers of the chuck might be what i confused to be owl ears when i had trouble focusing, though it seems to me, even though i haven't gotten close enough yet to be sure, that odo has a stronger looking beak. odo, after all, is a star! i'll have to look during another one of his quick flights to see if i see a horizontal white stripe on the wing per pics i found of the chuck. kyounge, from his quick flights so far i thought i saw that the wings were solid brown, or at least not white striped. i'll have to focus on that next time to be sure. i agree that odo seems larger than descripts i've read of whippoorwills.

intestesting sound site martha. according to recordings there, the dove is certainly a eurasian collared-dove. other sounds i recognize are the osprey & little blue heron, both especially from my everglades adventures; the mourning dove of course; the great horned owl (i had two in the garden for a few months until hurricane wilma); both the northern (yellow-shafted) flicker and the red-bellied woodpecker, so now i don't know which is pictured on the pine tree this time around (probably the red-bellied though); blue jay, naturally; american crow; possibly the fish crow; carolina wren; mockingbird (one of my favorite song birds); wood thrush (and i've seen them wondering what they were); robins; red-winged blackbird; both common & boat-tailed grackles; and my cardinals.

i've listened now to the different types of nighthawks and will see if i can match odo should he break out into song. perhaps if i leave out some sheet music...

ps, check out the sound of the purple martin. way cool. this is really quite involved. someone should consider making a science of it.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 09:44 AM   #63
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

For your viewing pleasure, here's a good owl picture (from the National Geographic Photo Contest).

Old 11-25-2008, 10:01 AM   #64
Moderator Emeritus

Wow Al, what a picture.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 10:33 AM   #65
Give me a forum ...

Is that a Trombone Owl?

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 10:38 AM   #66
Moderator Emeritus

Stunning, Al.
Old 11-25-2008, 02:28 PM   #67

Wow! I sure wouldn't want to be a mouse, look over my shoulder and see that coming at me!
Old 11-25-2008, 04:11 PM   #68
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Old 11-26-2008, 09:34 PM   #69

t-al, those snowy owls are as gorgeous as the pic you posted. i actually almost ran into one in florida many years ago while crossing the state. don't know what he was doing here but he took my breath away. after he dive bombed the car a few times, he flew alongside me for about a half mile (seemed like miles in memory but i'm pretty sure it was just moments). was pure white and huge. i'll never forget him. just beautiful.

meanwhile, odo has settled into the garden quite nicely. i forgot about him for a moment while watering yesterday until he let his presence known. then this morning while working in the garden, i must've woken him up. odo flew out of nowhere, landing on a wooden sculpture. this time he let me nearer, i got to about 15 ft away, though, of course, i didn't have the camera with me. anyway, i've come to like odo very much and hope he stays through the winter. my tourist nighthawk.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
Old 11-28-2008, 09:42 AM   #70
Give me a forum ...

We had a neighbor who got a wild chickadee to eat out of her hand.

You probably know this trick, but if you want to get close to an animal, it helps to not look at them. That is, turn your head about 90 degrees away, and look out of the corner of your eye.
Old 11-28-2008, 09:47 AM   #71

interesting. that's the same technique i use at gay bars.

Old 11-28-2008, 10:42 AM   #72
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
We had a neighbor who got a wild chickadee to eat out of her hand.

You probably know this trick, but if you want to get close to an animal, it helps to not look at them. That is, turn your head about 90 degrees away, and look out of the corner of your eye.
Many years ago, I had a chickadee ('trained' by a neighbor) eat of my hand.
Old 11-28-2008, 11:14 AM   #73
Give me a forum ...

My Little Chickadee (1940) - Memorable quotes

One of my favorite W.C. Fields' quotes:

During one of my treks through Afghanistan, we lost our corkscrew. Compelled to live on food and water for several days...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
iBird Explorer
Old 12-21-2008, 11:46 PM   #74

iBird Explorer

I was reading over some old messages to see if there was anything important in them and came across this software There are versions for iPhone/iPod, or Windows Mobile devices. I bet Odo is in there—the blurb says it covers all birds found in North American back yards.
Old 12-22-2008, 12:15 PM   #75

thanx kyounge. answering the questions on your cited site id's odo as

Short-tailed Hawk - Whatbird.com

that actually looks like the other guy who comes around at the change of the season to eat a mourning dove or two. not sure that's odo though. odo doesn't have such a strong beak. just saw odo again day before yesterday. seems he's wintering here.

Old 12-22-2008, 02:15 PM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazygood4nothinbum View Post
thanx kyounge. answering the questions on your cited site id's odo as

Short-tailed Hawk - Whatbird.com

that actually looks like the other guy who comes around at the change of the season to eat a mourning dove or two. not sure that's odo though. odo doesn't have such a strong beak. just saw odo again day before yesterday. seems he's wintering here.
Cool, I didn't know you could ID birds on that site, I just sent it as a reference to where you could get software to put in a mobile device which could then be taken where the birds are, to assist in IDing them.
Old 12-24-2008, 10:39 AM   #77

in the garden late yesterday i got a little upset because i found feather remains of a bird and i was afraid that an unleashed neighborhood cat ate odo.

but just now i was delighted to find that odo lives. (possibly he doesn't eat just insects?) i'm still amazed how he blends into the garden because i had walked right in front of him but didn't know it until he flew off the garden ground, almost into my face, over my head, to land on a branch maybe 30 feet away. once perched, he remains frozen like he is part of the tree.

i went to the house to get the camera and made sure he could hear me on my way back out so i wouldn't startle him. also i say hi to odo whenever i see him so he gets used to my voice.

he let me get a little closer this time before flying off and again disappearing into another section of the garden. he really seems to like it here. anyway, before he took off i got my best shots to date. this time i can see in the pictures the coloring better, not solid brown at all as i originally thought i was seeing. (also cloudy day today so sun did not bleach out all the details.)

so with no further ado, here's odo...

one of these days i'm gonna get that beak to come into focus.

Old 12-24-2008, 11:13 AM   #78
Moderator Emeritus

Lazy, I am now fairly confident that it is Chuck wills widow as Harley suggested, related to the nighthawk. Try to listen just after dusk for the call.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 12:08 PM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
Lazy, I am now fairly confident that it is Chuck wills widow as Harley suggested, related to the nighthawk. Try to listen just after dusk for the call.
I think that's what he looks like too, but when I went to the ID portion of the site, I didn't get that result. It makes me wonder how comprehensive that site really is. Maybe it's just a demo of how the software works, rather than a comprehensive bird ID. Or maybe Lazy's perception of some characteristic or other may not match theirs. I tried with a bird I'm familiar with from out here in the Pacific NW, Anna's Hummingbird. Location and size are no-brainers, but after choosing a color it was no longer in the list of possibilities, because I thought of it as "olive" but the website thinks it is "green". Some of the multiple choice lists didn't seem to have any selection that really matched Odo, so maybe that's why it told Lazy he's a hawk.
Old 09-16-2016, 04:14 PM   #80
Confused about dryer sheets

The bird on the left might be a Ladder-backed Woodpecker. They are similar in the red cap but the ladder-back has no throat red or yellow on the belly.

I know this is an old post but I am a new member and am trying out posting.. never saw Quick as post reply before so just checking it out.