Idea for Guest Bed

Al , If this is for Jenny to sleep on you need to think bigger than a twin because pretty soon she will be bringing a companion to visit.

Or, maybe that 's why he wants to make the twin size (and a smallish one at that) :LOL:

I would say you need two beds. One for guests you want to stay, one for guests you want to have a short visit...

Only bring out the appropriate bed just before they get there.
:LOL:

DW and I have been discussing something along these lines. One bedroom for a son who now definitely on his own is has various things in it, and DW is considering clearing it our for a nice guest room. I said "be careful - we don't want it to be TOO nice, or else guests won't feel a need to leave..."

Here's another variation of the murphy bed - bookshelf combination, where the whole assembly is built on a floor-level platform with wheels and rotates around a vertical axis. It doesn't meet your carpentry effort vs. cost test at all, but it is very clever.

Substituting your original idea of a plywood platform and an air mattress instead of a fancy murphy bed mechanism, you could get the functionality of the bed platform idea without giving up useful wall space.

BILLY Bookcases transform into Murphy Bed - IKEA Hackers - IKEA Hackers

Al , If this is for Jenny to sleep on you need to think bigger than a twin because pretty soon she will be bringing a companion to visit.

Yes, quite right. But we have a queen in the guest room (and we don't let him out, ha ha). Plus we have a comfortable queen blow up mattress, so we're covered.

Al, so what did you end up doing?

I will follow Sam's advice. I'll buy a twin air mattress and the folding cot that supports it. I'll wait until next time Jenny visits to buy it.

Thanks, Sam.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Back
Top Bottom