Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-02-2011, 08:07 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Yes, you are all correct -- I shouldn't cut into it. It isn't too bad to have the laptop protrude; I just can't help but think how nice it would be to have it tuck in better.
<sotto voce> Al....Put the saw down.

Can you open the drawer and place a piece of wood over the drawer to hold the laptop? If it is too low (beware of neck strain!), use something like the Las Vegas Yellow Page directory (or similar size book) to raise it up to a comfy level.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-02-2011, 09:47 AM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Solved your problem. You could use this absolutely everywhere, at your desk, on your bike, playing piano, grocery shopping - everywhere! You're welcome...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg connectadesk.jpg (21.7 KB, 3 views)

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 10:10 AM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gromit View Post
A quick side view sketch of what I couldn't adequately describe. Two flat pieces of wood, each at least as wide as the laptop, with drawer slider hardware connecting them. A tall piece of wood attached to the base in the back snugly slides into the large center desk hole and prevents the slide out drawer and laptop from tipping down towards your lap. No attachment to the desk is made. Oak stain would be nice, but optional. Of course, nothing is as easy as it appears, so there would probably be additional engineering required.

Attachment 13209
This or a derivative approach looks good to me. My wife had a small inadequate desk and also a large drawing board. I just clamped the drawing board to a few edges of the desk with small C clamps. She loves the extended space and room for her feet under the desk now. Clamping a test board could be a way to test an idea before launching into a more permanent solution.
Old 12-02-2011, 04:09 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMtn View Post
If you don't use the dividers I would suggest eliminating them. That would give you the space you desire and would look much cleaner than trying to cut them back a few inches.
+1
Old 12-02-2011, 05:42 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

That's nice, but not necessary, because the laptop is totally stable when overhanging the front edge of the desk.

I think I was just being OCD about having everything line up.
Old 12-02-2011, 06:38 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
That's nice, but not necessary, because the laptop is totally stable when overhanging the front edge of the desk.
I think I was just being OCD about having everything line up.
What a relief.

I could imagine 125 years from now watching the grandkids of the "Antiques Roadshow" furniture twins telling some disappointed grandkid of Jenny: "Well, it would have been worth three billion yuan at auction if some OCD DIY'er cheapskate hadn't cut out these partitions!"

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 06:13 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

The new laptop sticks out even more, and I CAN'T TAKE IT ANYMORE. It works, but I think I'll remove the dividers.

This isn't an antique desk, and I can't imagine I'll ever use without a laptop on it.
Old 06-09-2014, 08:30 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

I woke up at 4 AM with the solution: I cut out the existing dividers, then buy some nice oak-faced plywood of the same width, and built and install new dividers with a different profile. The new divider will fit in the slots on the bottom, and I'll cut spacers to install on the top (out of sight).
Old 06-09-2014, 09:24 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I woke up at 4 AM with the solution: I cut out the existing dividers, then buy some nice oak-faced plywood of the same width, and built and install new dividers with a different profile. The new divider will fit in the slots on the bottom, and I'll cut spacers to install on the top (out of sight).
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Or maybe a somewhat 'hack job' is the best approach, and then just plan on a wooden insert to cover the mess?

-ERD50
Sounds similar to my first suggestion?

SUGGESTION: If you want to put in new dividers, consider solid wood instead of plywood. Plywood is very tricky to cut w/o splintering, and you will need to face the edges anyhow. Solid will be less work.

-ERD50
Old 06-09-2014, 10:07 AM   #30
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
You could always get an external monitor, put it on top of the desk and hook up the laptop. ...
I'd first try the "inexpensive" route of getting an external wireless keyboard/mouse set, and place the laptop where I can see its screen.
Old 06-09-2014, 11:10 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdie Num Nums View Post
I'd first try the "inexpensive" route of getting an external wireless keyboard/mouse set, and place the laptop where I can see its screen.
The only place the screen could go is up on top of the rolltop part; that would be way too high, and I'm sure I would get neck strain.

This saw will let me cut the bottom of the dividers flush, and I could then rerashion and reinstall them.

Shark Corp 10-2440 Fine Cut Saw - Handsaws - Amazon.com
Old 06-09-2014, 11:24 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
The only place the screen could go is up on top of the rolltop part; that would be way too high, and I'm sure I would get neck strain.

This saw will let me cut the bottom of the dividers flush, and I could then rerashion and reinstall them.

Shark Corp 10-2440 Fine Cut Saw - Handsaws - Amazon.com
The key for what you want to do is the 'flush cut' saw. On these, the 'kerf' (spread of the teeth) go all to one side, leaving the other side smooth - no scratching on that side. A regular saw has the teeth alternately spread out one side and then the other.

But that looks like a lot of cutting in a tight space. Are you sure cutting the bottom side only will let you remove the divider? Can you cut all the way through from front to back on seven (eight?) dividers?

-ERD50
Old 06-09-2014, 11:27 AM   #33

What about line of sight? Will you be able to see the top of your screen when you push the notebook in?
Old 06-09-2014, 01:25 PM   #34

I'll fall in line with the others that have advised not to cut the dividers. But please post photos after you do and have "fixed" the desk to your liking.
Old 06-09-2014, 02:51 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
The key for what you want to do is the 'flush cut' saw. On these, the 'kerf' (spread of the teeth) go all to one side, leaving the other side smooth - no scratching on that side. A regular saw has the teeth alternately spread out one side and then the other.
You're right, thanks. I'm attempting to cancel my Amazon order. I saw a flush cut saw at the hardware store, and thought that the one on Amazon was the same.

Quote:
But that looks like a lot of cutting in a tight space. Are you sure cutting the bottom side only will let you remove the divider? Can you cut all the way through from front to back on seven (eight?) dividers?

-ERD50
I'm going to approach this as if I were trying to saw my way through the bars of my cell with a spoon. It will require some patience.

Quote:
What about line of sight? Will you be able to see the top of your screen when you push the notebook in?
Yes, I checked that. It can go a ways back before the top is cut off from sight.

One of the things that was the final straw was that I noticed how the image shows much more contrast when it's tilted way back. You'd think that the best viewing occurs when the line from the center of the screen to your eye is normal to the plane of the screen. But it seems better if your eye is a bit below that. That discovery pushed the laptop out even further.
Old 06-09-2014, 02:55 PM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

Enjoy fine wood articles, not a wood guy hobby wise....

How are the dividers secured? In a slot? Glue, staple, nail, combo?
Remove staple, use hair dryer to loosen glue?
Old 06-09-2014, 05:04 PM   #37

It looks like the dividers are sitting in slots. Do they move a little? If so, I'd be tempted to pry the bottom shelf down a bit, and see if the dividers can be pulled out.
Old 06-09-2014, 05:57 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
You're right, thanks. I'm attempting to cancel my Amazon order. I saw a flush cut saw at the hardware store, and thought that the one on Amazon was the same. ....
It wasn't 100% clear to me whether that one was a flush cut or not. It looks like a regular kerf, pull-saw (and people sure seem to like it, I may get one just 'because').

Seems the flush cut saws I've seen (say that 10x fast!) will have an offset handle, to accommodate space for your hand and the wood you are cutting. But maybe they rely on the flex for that?

-ERD50
Old 06-09-2014, 06:08 PM   #39

Seriously, buy an oscillating tool like the Rockwell sonicrafter. It is perfect for precision cuts in awkward spaces like this. I have found literally dozens of uses for mine since I bought it.
Old 06-09-2014, 08:33 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by target2019 View Post
It looks like the dividers are sitting in slots. Do they move a little? If so, I'd be tempted to pry the bottom shelf down a bit, and see if the dividers can be pulled out.
Good idea, but the shelf is too sturdy to be pried down.

Quote:
It wasn't 100% clear to me whether that one was a flush cut or not.
Right. I asked on Amazon and got different answers.

Quote:
Seriously, buy an oscillating tool like the Rockwell sonicrafter. It is perfect for precision cuts in awkward spaces like this. I have found literally dozens of uses for mine since I bought it.
Oh that's looks good. Tell me some of the other things you've used it for.