Ideas for Extra Room

TromboneAl

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
As empty nesters we have one room that is unused. This is in addition to the rarely used guest room and seldom-used office. Anyone got some ideas for how to take advantage of it? Things to note:

I already have a room with exercise equipment in it.

It wouldn't work for a workshop, since it's upstairs -- not practical to bring lumber or bicycles up there.

We don't need more storage space.

music studio
wine cellar
rent it out

As empty nesters we have one room that is unused. This is in addition to the rarely used guest room and seldom-used office. Anyone got some ideas for how to take advantage of it? Things to note:

I already have a room with exercise equipment in it.

It wouldn't work for a workshop, since it's upstairs -- not practical to bring lumber or bicycles up there.

We don't need more storage space.

A few ideas:

1) Hobby and/or craft room

2)Antiques/family heirloom room (kinda like a museum)

3)Art or Photo Gallery

4)Sports equipment area, complete with surf board waxing table........:D

a reading room, complete with comfy chair and footrest. add a small bookcase and an incandescent lamp.
i converted a room that is nursery size (10x10) into my own little private escape room when dh2b watches TV. my sewing machine and a single bed are also in there.

a reading room, complete with comfy chair and footrest. add a small bookcase and an incandescent lamp.
i converted a room that is nursery size (10x10) into my own little private escape room when dh2b watches TV. my sewing machine and a single bed are also in there.

You are awesome.......if dh2b misbehaves, he gets to sleep in that room until further notice. All it needs is a small fridge, and he can stay there indefinitely.........;)

I'd redecorate it but keep it a bedroom for your daughter--even though she likely won't live there any more, if you don't need the room for something else, it's sort of nice that she would have her own space there when she comes to visit.

I like the idea of a reading room; maybe include a small ventless gas heater.

Yoga room.
DW craft room.
Or, close the door and turn off the heat.

I feel old. It seems like yesterday we saw your daughter's bra laying on the floor of that room. Now she is graduating from college.

We have a room that was supposed to be a formal living room, but we don't ever seem to do any formal living. It's becoming the music/craft room. Moved the piano and all my instruments in, plus DWs sewing machine and easel. Much better.

Entertainment room (TV, surround sound system, comfortable chairs, etc...)
Man cave

We turned a very small bedroom across from the kitchen into a pantry. I'm like a pig in mud without lipstick!

Do you watch movies, how about a theater? We converted a loft area to a dedicated theater and love to watch movies and listen to concerts. Room is painted dark gray, windows have heavy curtain and it's HD! Good news is it's well away from the rest of the house because our son likes to "borrow" the room on the weekends with his friends.

Laundry room perhaps? This is of course assuming your laundry room is on the first floor and your master bedroom is upstairs.

Climate controlled trombone storage area.

Mold garden.

Storage area for pre-cut-in-half rolls of paper towels.

Walk in junk closet. I have a small bedroom that didn't serve any useful purpose, so I bought a bunch of those wire rack type of shelves and put them around the perimeter of the room at two levels. The center is still open for use as an ironing room (for DW), but the walls hold lots of seasonal stuff and junk that should rightly be given away. ^-^

Wire Shelves

Spouse is going to turn our kid's room into a jigsaw-puzzle palace with a Murphy bed on one wall.

I feel old. It seems like yesterday we saw your daughter's bra laying on the floor of that room. Now she is graduating from college.
I remember the photo of Al guarding a door at her high-school gradution party...

Only 631 days until we launch ours!

Climate controlled trombone storage area.

You don't have to keep the trombone warm. Just have to keep the mouthpiece in your pocket. Learned this from watching the brass players pulling the skin off their lips during the Nixon ('72) inaugural parade. We had to stand in below freezing weather for 3 hours before the parade started, and when the brass players finally put their instruments up to play their lips froze to the mouthpieces:eek:.

It's one of those times when you shouldn't laugh but can't help it. Luckily I was playing sax. My reed split so I was humming through it like a kazoo, but there was no blood involved.

I have always had my man cave in a very small room, that the bank counted as a bed room but it was really a bit small for that. My wife moved her sewing/craft work from the master bedroom to the son's room when he moved out. Gave him the bed and other furniture for his first apartment. Put in a futon that is usually in couch mode but can be a bed when we have company. Lots of shelves and specialty tables. The extra space in the master bedroom was then made into a reading area, partially closed in by book cases, with a comfy chair, good lighting and a view out into the woods.

Jeb

It's one of those times when you shouldn't laugh but can't help it. Luckily I was playing sax. My reed split so I was humming through it like a kazoo, but there was no blood involved.

Funny stories, Harley. One year in the H.S. band we were to swing our instruments in an exaggerated way. My clarinet mouthpiece flew off and the reed broke. I pretended to play the rest of the parade; my playing was so bad it probably improved the performance.

Back
Top Bottom