Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Ideas for part-time work - Hilton or Marriott or such?
Old 07-28-2011, 09:54 AM   #1
Dryer sheet aficionado
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 33
Ideas for part-time work - Hilton or Marriott or such?

One of the criteria I am using when considering part time earning opportunities after I ditch Corporate America is whether or not the j#b brings any benefits that I can use in my free time that comes with retirement.

For instance, I will continue my part time work as a Fitness Instructor / Personal Trainer as that gives me free access to gyms and also brings with it some free travel opportunities. All the while, earning me a nice check on an hourly basis and keeps me active.

for my current corporate america work, I accrue a lot of points by staying at Hilton properties. I see the guys who drive the vans, and even the night managers often to be fellows my age or older and they often appear to be in good spirits. I am doing some research to find if work with Hilton and Marriott and such also earns employees discount rates on hotel stays.

Any thoughts??
__________________

__________________
njonge01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-28-2011, 09:59 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,001
I've heard the Marriott employees (also good for family members) get steep discounts but you need to get a voucher approved by a supervisor/manager. The rate is really good, like $30/night but the hotel has the have openings. Also, know someone who retired with 25-30 yrs there and he can stay at a hotel for free (with openings), but only once/year at the same location.
__________________

__________________
Dimsumkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 10:15 AM   #3
Dryer sheet aficionado
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimsumkid View Post
I've heard the Marriott employees (also good for family members) get steep discounts but you need to get a voucher approved by a supervisor/manager. The rate is really good, like $30/night but the hotel has the have openings. Also, know someone who retired with 25-30 yrs there and he can stay at a hotel for free (with openings), but only once/year at the same location.
Thanks Dimsumkid. That is the kind of information I was hoping to scare up. I actually have made a "hit list" of all the Hilton and Marriott properties within a 30-40 minute drive. I live near Winston-Salem NC, so the only real options are what we call our "Triad" of W-S, High Point and Greensboro. I'm not that far from Charlotte, but its farther than I would want to drive with any frequency. There are a ton of Hilton and Marriott properties near CLT International Airport
__________________
njonge01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 10:19 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,001
Quote:
Originally Posted by njonge01 View Post
Thanks Dimsumkid. That is the kind of information I was hoping to scare up. I actually have made a "hit list" of all the Hilton and Marriott properties within a 30-40 minute drive. I live near Winston-Salem NC, so the only real options are what we call our "Triad" of W-S, High Point and Greensboro. I'm not that far from Charlotte, but its farther than I would want to drive with any frequency. There are a ton of Hilton and Marriott properties near CLT International Airport
I'm sure they have different tiers of benefits too, the people I know were all full time and they probably change based on when you were hired too. The $30 cost is for someone FT and has about 5-7 yrs of time in. I couldn't tell you if you get anything for being part time, maybe someone else can shed some light on this for you.
__________________
Dimsumkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 12:42 PM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.
arebelspy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 625
DW and I have tossed around the working at an Airport counter to get some benefits after semi-ER. This is a decent idea too.
__________________
arebelspy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 01:55 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 13,284
Quote:
Originally Posted by arebelspy View Post
DW and I have tossed around the working at an Airport counter to get some benefits after semi-ER. This is a decent idea too.

One of my friend's dad worked for an airline on their reservation system (or some other phone thing).... IIRC he worked at home and would just plug in when he was needed and out when he was not... got cheap tickets on the airlines... he was in his early 70s...
__________________
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 06:11 AM   #7
Dryer sheet aficionado
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by arebelspy
DW and I have tossed around the working at an Airport counter to get some benefits after semi-ER. This is a decent idea too.
i was thinking about the same thing! I started the application process for a US Airways job, but I realized that it was working the desk for baggage claim (i.e., angry passengers wondering where their baggage was..), and I thought that would not be so much fun.
__________________
njonge01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 06:13 AM   #8
Dryer sheet aficionado
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud

One of my friend's dad worked for an airline on their reservation system (or some other phone thing).... IIRC he worked at home and would just plug in when he was needed and out when he was not... got cheap tickets on the airlines... he was in his early 70s...
This is the kind of job i had hoped the US Airways gig would be. I'm going to search around for these opportunities. Even just a few hours a week would be great if there were airline miles or fight discounts to be had as part of the deal.
__________________

__________________
njonge01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
benefits, hotel, leisure, part time work


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:46 PM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.