Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-11-2009, 08:37 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Have you considered writing a novel?
Ugh. I've been a writer my whole life. I've begun to dread it. No more writing!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-11-2009, 10:05 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

My apologies Oldbabe....

Old 01-11-2009, 10:43 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Okay, I know you said no teaching or tutoring, but: What about teaching English abroad? I haven't checked the market recently, but the pay in Korea used to be okay, lots of college students did it for a few months in the summer, and all the students wanted was an American with good grammar who was patient. They already know how to speak rudimentary English, they want to converse with someone. Your background as an English teacher is icing on the cake.

Best of all, you could combine your desire to travel with earning some dough. I'll bet a lot of families would let you stay in their home for free if you'd talk with their kids for ten hours a week, and you'd have the rest of your day to teach other kids, see the sights, etc. It would be a way to take in much more of the culture than is possible in a typical package tour.
Old 01-11-2009, 10:53 PM   #24

start a duct cleaning company!
Old 01-11-2009, 10:59 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Or you could teach/tutor ESL for a few hours a week, I imagine.
Old 01-12-2009, 05:24 AM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
I also sell books on Amazon . It keeps my bookshelves organized and allows me to read new releases at paperback prices .
I hope to get to that more organized point soon, but without too much effort, after all I am retired. It's unbelievable how many books, DVDs, videos, etc. I acquired while w*rking.

The clothes closet is shockingly full also but I have the time now to figure ways to make the w*rk clothes combine in a casual way.
Old 01-12-2009, 08:53 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldbabe View Post
1. Be flexible as far as schedule (so I can travel at a moment's notice)
2. Prefer to work at home not in an office or store, etc., so that I can control my work schedule.
Pretty high hurdles. However, therein may lie your answer. An example would be George of "The Adventures of Tioga and George" fame. If your writing skills are sufficient, perhaps you could start a Blog about your travels and sell space to Google as George does.

TiogaRV Team Expense Information - December, 2008

George spends (what appears to me) a couple minutes every morning on this and thus explains the low pay. Penelope Trunk, on the other hand, devotes considerable time and effort writing her posts and supports herself and two children (including a Nanny) on her Google income.

Anyway, write about what you know and love (not exactly a new thought, eh) and some money should flow your way. You already have the Tools and the training... uh, experience. Granted there is a lot of competition here but where isn't there?

Good luck.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 09:37 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

i hear you hate writing, but if you could struggle along: Tourist board offers £72,000 position comprising snorkelling, kayaking and having fun on paradise island - The Scotsman
Old 01-12-2009, 11:48 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
Penelope Trunk, on the other hand, devotes considerable time and effort writing her posts and supports herself and two children (including a Nanny) on her Google income.
Penelope gets my vote. Most non-art non-fiction "writing" is just thinly disguised selling (disguised if the reader is a moron, blatant otherwise.)

Penelope loves to go around shelling these frauds. I don't know about you, but when I hear someone who is doing something that makes money, either a little or a lot, but says "I do this only because I love it. The money is meaningless..." I want to vomit.

Likewise she calls many another spade correctly. I know that while almost anything is possible, some things are really unlikely. So she says so, "This might happen, but it would be an outlier." Like young men being happy as house husbands. While is certainly has happened, don't count on you being in that group. Or on your wife staying content with it either.

If one could write like Penelope, and not come off as even more hostile than she does, she (or he) would deserve to make a good living from it.

Ha
Old 01-12-2009, 11:53 AM   #30

Census Taker...
Old 01-12-2009, 12:13 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Ha,

I am just saying. Here, then, are some other examples:

GeekTonic
Steamy Kitchen: Modern Asian Recipes and Cooking*|*Modern Asian recipes that are fast, fresh and simple enough for family supper
Joe McNally's Blog
Marc and Angel Hack Life - Practical Tips for Productive Living
The Raw Feed
teczcape- an escape to Food
THE FINANCIAL PHILOSOPHER
Wise Bread | Personal Finance and Frugal Living Forums

On the other hand, here is excellent one that doesn't seem to have a commercial purpose:

Men Who Like to Cook - David Latt

Not to mention the kagillion promoting their own products -- books, seminars, video, etc.
Old 01-12-2009, 12:19 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldbabe View Post
I've been a writer my whole life. I've begun to dread it. No more writing!
The most highest hurdle of all. So, you are looking for income without any of the usual strings attached... like w*rk, dedication, inconvenience, and other such irritations? Me, too.
Old 01-12-2009, 01:08 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

I'd suggest part time at a florist. Figure out the florist trade for a while, and then maybe set up an arrangement to just help out when they need you. As someone else mentioned, holidays, summer weddings, prom, etc. are busier than usual, and would seem to be a good time to have someone come in 10-15 hours/wk as necessary. You may even be able to start your own florist business. There are florist wholesalers in most decent sized cities where you can buy in quantity, and buy supplies as well. Think about the hundreds or thousands that couples spend on flowers for weddings. You could probably make a quick buck every once in a while doing weddings, anniversary parties, special events etc on the side for prices lower than commercial florists. And you could use your own house or garage for temporary inventory/assembly area. A co-worker's wife did this for a while but stopped since the income was sporadic and she had competing demands on her time. Apparently decent money for relatively little work (if you have skills and can get the clients).

Another suggestion would be checking out craigslist personal services advertisements to figure out what others are doing in your area. Maybe compete in one of those fields.

Along with your photography idea, there seems to be a market for photo/video production services. Ie - you take old vhs's and convert to DVD or take old family home videos and make montages out of them. Or convert pictures into DVD slideshows with special transition effects, menus, music, etc. Not sure it is immensely profitable, but it is fairly easy work that could be done on the side on your own schedule more or less.
Old 01-12-2009, 01:32 PM   #34
Full time employment: Posting here.

Start a forum. Sell big advertising space on it.

Trek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 02:03 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
Ha,

I am just saying. Here, then, are some other examples:

GeekTonic
Steamy Kitchen: Modern Asian Recipes and Cooking*|*Modern Asian recipes that are fast, fresh and simple enough for family supper
Joe McNally's Blog
Marc and Angel Hack Life - Practical Tips for Productive Living
The Raw Feed
teczcape- an escape to Food
THE FINANCIAL PHILOSOPHER
Wise Bread | Personal Finance and Frugal Living Forums

On the other hand, here is excellent one that doesn't seem to have a commercial purpose:

Men Who Like to Cook - David Latt

Not to mention the kagillion promoting their own products -- books, seminars, video, etc.
I looked at the Joe McNally site. Ron, are you the guy who posted a lot of very artistic photos, maybe a year or 2 ago?
Old 01-12-2009, 02:14 PM   #36
Full time employment: Posting here.

What about becoming a mystery shopper?

Or doing some kind of virtual employment?

Or become a virtual assistant?

Some of these positions will allow you to choose your hours, the amount of time you work, and will give you health care... or not. For many of these positions you can work from home.

I thought the idea of searching Craigslist was good also.

Good luck!

Akaisha
Author, The Adventurer's Guide to Early Retirement
Old 01-12-2009, 02:26 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Ron, are you the guy who posted a lot of very artistic photos, maybe a year or 2 ago?
No. I do, however, have a passion for photography -- taking thousands of photos every year -- and travel -- traveling thousands of miles every year. Both obsessions are big "money pits," I might add.
Old 01-12-2009, 04:15 PM   #38

Thanks for all the ideas! Lots to think about.
Old 01-12-2009, 05:49 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

[quote=Billy;771119]What about becoming a mystery shopper?

/quote]

I've done mystery shopping and while it is amusing the pay is lousy !
Old 01-13-2009, 12:23 AM   #40

You could work for the guvmitt:

Governing: Boomers/January 2009

There are a few job boards that are tailored to freelance jobs. Here's one:

Freelance Jobs Contract Consulting Projects | Sologig