Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-13-2009, 02:55 PM   #41
Moderator Emeritus
Nords's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Oahu
Posts: 26,616
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldbabe View Post
Thanks for all the ideas! Lots to think about.
Spouse and I enjoy home improvement, so we've acquired a number of skills. Today they're taught everywhere-- Home Depot, Family Handyman magazine, numerous DIY websites. If you enjoy it and offer free warranty service then you're worth $25-$50/hour. Around here that's about half of what a plumber would charge.

It's amazing what people either can't or won't do for themselves.
__________________

__________________
*
*

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-13-2009, 04:04 PM   #42
Moderator Emeritus
CuppaJoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: At The Cafe
Posts: 6,866
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
....
It's amazing what people either can't or won't do for themselves.
Yeah, like house cleaning, but IMO, that's not so amazing.
__________________

__________________
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 02:32 PM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Moemg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Sarasota,fl.
Posts: 10,029
Another good part time job is working for google . You have to go to google .com and check out the avalable jobs . You take a test and if you pass they pay you $15 an hour to rate web sites.
__________________
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 03:01 PM   #44
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 1,988
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Spouse and I enjoy home improvement, so we've acquired a number of skills. Today they're taught everywhere-- Home Depot, Family Handyman magazine, numerous DIY websites. If you enjoy it and offer free warranty service then you're worth $25-$50/hour. Around here that's about half of what a plumber would charge.

It's amazing what people either can't or won't do for themselves.
I'd like suggestions on how to handle the friends who know that you have the skills but want you to work for free...or for a free meal (which only costs them a few bucks to make)?

I struggle with this as I don't want to seem rude....and sometimes the jobs they ask me to do seem simple or are just so odd (on a screen door: replacing the bracket that holds the hydraulic tube to the door frame or on a medicine cabinet: figuring out a workaround for a broken spring on one of the hinges -- after multiple trips to locate a new hinge or create a combination of old and new hinges, I ended up simply gluing a magnet to the back of the medicine cabinet door!) that they'd probably not be able to find some contractor to come out and do. Yet, often these jobs take an inordinate amount of my time -- either for my transportation to their house, driving around trying to find parts, or creating a retrofit solution for their situation.

I've also recently been asked to hang drapery rods, fix dishwashers and fix snowblowers. Additionally, on my way to a Christmas party, I was asked to stop and take a look at someone's broken garage door spring -- I told them it was beyiond my skillset.

I want to be a good friend (with the expectation that they'll be there for me, if and when I need help) but it's getting a bit old.

omni
__________________
omni550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 10:05 PM   #45
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
harley's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Following the nice weather
Posts: 6,418
Since you want the money to travel, how about housesitting/caretaking? I've thought about it, but haven't gotten there yet. I think Sarah has used them when she was off riding camels.

It sounds like a great way to see places basically for free, with only minor responsibilities (petsitting, plant watering, etc) required. This way you won't have to pay to travel, which is sort of like earning money to allow you to travel, without the actual w*rk part.
__________________
"Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement." - Will Rogers, or maybe Sam Clemens
DW and I - FIREd at 50 (7/06), living off assets
harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 10:15 AM   #46
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
RonBoyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Denver, Colorado
Posts: 5,280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Another good part time job is working for google . You have to go to google .com and check out the avalable jobs . You take a test and if you pass they pay you $15 an hour to rate web sites.
And Yesterday comes these magic words from Google:

Quote:
We know this change will be very difficult for the people concerned, and we hope that many of them will be able to find new roles at Google.
Official Google Blog: Changes to recruiting
__________________
"It's tough to make predictions, especially when it involves the future." ~Attributed to many
"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is." ~(perhaps by) Yogi Berra
"Those who have knowledge, don't predict. Those who predict, don't have knowledge."~ Lau tzu
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 11:42 AM   #47
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,898
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Spouse and I enjoy home improvement, so we've acquired a number of skills. Today they're taught everywhere-- Home Depot, Family Handyman magazine, numerous DIY websites. If you enjoy it and offer free warranty service then you're worth $25-$50/hour. Around here that's about half of what a plumber would charge.

It's amazing what people either can't or won't do for themselves.
Thanks for bringing this topic up. I doubt I could be a handyperson-for-hire but I have been meaning to take some classes, learn skills, so I could do some of my own work around the house.
__________________
Zoocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 12:49 PM   #48
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
simple girl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,505
Have any sewing skills? Being a seamstress might be a cool part-time job - that is, of course, if sewing is something you like to do.
__________________
simple girl
less stuff, more time

(49, married; DH 53. I am fully retired as of 2015 (well ok, I still work part-time but only because I love the job and have complete freedom to call off if I want to travel with hubby for work), DH hopes to fully retire 2018 when he turns 55 to access 401K penalty-free...although he may decide to do part-time consulting)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 04:13 PM   #49
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
RonBoyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Denver, Colorado
Posts: 5,280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
It's amazing what people either can't or won't do for themselves.
Yeah, I know, I posted this in an earlier thread but it seems to fit here also. Anyway, what you say goes a long way in explaining... well, things.

CPA.jpg
__________________
"It's tough to make predictions, especially when it involves the future." ~Attributed to many
"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is." ~(perhaps by) Yogi Berra
"Those who have knowledge, don't predict. Those who predict, don't have knowledge."~ Lau tzu
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 08:07 PM   #50
Moderator Emeritus
Nords's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Oahu
Posts: 26,616
Quote:
Originally Posted by omni550 View Post
I'd like suggestions on how to handle the friends who know that you have the skills but want you to work for free...or for a free meal (which only costs them a few bucks to make)?
I want to be a good friend (with the expectation that they'll be there for me, if and when I need help) but it's getting a bit old.
No easy answer.

One set of neighbors throw great Thanksgiving/Christmas parties, so we'll help them out whenever they want knowing that we'll have lifetime invitations. It's usually minor electrical problems like a broken Christmas ornament or an appliance repair.

Another woman is raising three kids on her own. (I've met the ex-husband. We are not impressed.) I've shown her and the kids how to fix the easier stuff (unplugging & resetting the disposal) and I charge $25/hour for the rest. She also provides yummy baked goods so that $25/hour is highly negotiable. Better yet, when I was considering ACL reconstruction she gave me the inside scoop on a new hotshot orthopedic surgeon (she's affiliated with a local health insurer). Unfortunately her house has gone through all the easy projects and she's facing repainting, recarpeting, and attic reflective foil insulation. I think she values our advice but I'm not sure that we want to tackle something that big.

We take care of a shipmate's house/tenant, and she's extremely generous. It's almost to the point of embarrassment but we love the exotic (to us) Mainland foods she sends and we manage to cash her checks. We think she sleeps better knowing that she's paying us what we're worth and still coming out ahead of a professional management company. We almost never hear from her tenants so it's no problem.

Most of the other neighbors have asked for an hour or two of help and no one has tried to take advantage of me. We reciprocate pretty fairly/quickly and they're always very generous with holiday food.

I've turned down a couple repairs that I knew immediately were beyond my interest or my (realistic) skill level-- leaky water pipes inside the wall, mold, A/C repairs, roof replacements. After all these years on discussion boards I'm pretty much immune to appeals ("Sorry, but I can refer you to a good contractor") and baiting ("You say you know I can handle this?!? Well, I could probably figure it out on the third try after two weeks, but this is a job for a pro.") I think if I got one more phone call than I was happy to help with, I'd start responding more slowly and finding schedule conflicts.

Hasn't been a big problem yet. Most Hawaii residents are very conscientious about omiyage & obligations, and the jobs I've tackled have either been interesting/fun ("Always wanted to work on one o' them!") or good karma.

Now if you're referring to the phone calls I used to get from my father-in-law, that's a whole 'nother can of issues. Most of them had to be chalked up to my good karma and his bad...
__________________
*
*

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 02:19 AM   #51
Full time employment: Posting here.
TargaDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 588
Quote:
Originally Posted by Htown Harry View Post
There are a few job boards that are tailored to freelance jobs. Here's one:

Freelance Jobs Contract Consulting Projects | Sologig
Beware of online adds for parttime or consulting work like the one above. This link leads to a UK company (IIB) that takes $20k from you in return for an accredidation (??) and some marketing advice. No thanks.
__________________
TargaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 07:24 AM   #52
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
RonBoyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Denver, Colorado
Posts: 5,280
I am just throwing this out as "food for thought." Penelope Trunk, in today's post, -- How to figure out what you should be doing with your life -- may provide some insight into getting paid for doing what you want to do. Yeah, she writes to thirty-somethings who are trying to make it in the workplace rather than those trying to avoid it but as she says (and I concur):

Quote:
It's the grand democracy in the blogosphere that some of my favorite bloggers are in their early twenties. And some of the worst blogs are from people who are actually in positions of huge authority.
If you do read the article, make sure you also read some of the embedded links -- like "totally not fun" or "so I volunteered to do it for free," for instance.
__________________
"It's tough to make predictions, especially when it involves the future." ~Attributed to many
"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is." ~(perhaps by) Yogi Berra
"Those who have knowledge, don't predict. Those who predict, don't have knowledge."~ Lau tzu
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 08:37 AM   #53
Moderator Emeritus
Martha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: minnesota
Posts: 13,212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
No easy answer.

One set of neighbors throw great Thanksgiving/Christmas parties, so we'll help them out whenever they want knowing that we'll have lifetime invitations. It's usually minor electrical problems like a broken Christmas ornament or an appliance repair.

Another woman is raising three kids on her own. (I've met the ex-husband. We are not impressed.) I've shown her and the kids how to fix the easier stuff (unplugging & resetting the disposal) and I charge $25/hour for the rest. She also provides yummy baked goods so that $25/hour is highly negotiable. Better yet, when I was considering ACL reconstruction she gave me the inside scoop on a new hotshot orthopedic surgeon (she's affiliated with a local health insurer). Unfortunately her house has gone through all the easy projects and she's facing repainting, recarpeting, and attic reflective foil insulation. I think she values our advice but I'm not sure that we want to tackle something that big.

We take care of a shipmate's house/tenant, and she's extremely generous. It's almost to the point of embarrassment but we love the exotic (to us) Mainland foods she sends and we manage to cash her checks. We think she sleeps better knowing that she's paying us what we're worth and still coming out ahead of a professional management company. We almost never hear from her tenants so it's no problem.

Most of the other neighbors have asked for an hour or two of help and no one has tried to take advantage of me. We reciprocate pretty fairly/quickly and they're always very generous with holiday food.

I've turned down a couple repairs that I knew immediately were beyond my interest or my (realistic) skill level-- leaky water pipes inside the wall, mold, A/C repairs, roof replacements. After all these years on discussion boards I'm pretty much immune to appeals ("Sorry, but I can refer you to a good contractor") and baiting ("You say you know I can handle this?!? Well, I could probably figure it out on the third try after two weeks, but this is a job for a pro.") I think if I got one more phone call than I was happy to help with, I'd start responding more slowly and finding schedule conflicts.

Hasn't been a big problem yet. Most Hawaii residents are very conscientious about omiyage & obligations, and the jobs I've tackled have either been interesting/fun ("Always wanted to work on one o' them!") or good karma.

Now if you're referring to the phone calls I used to get from my father-in-law, that's a whole 'nother can of issues. Most of them had to be chalked up to my good karma and his bad...
To summarize: Will work for food.
__________________
.


No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 10:11 AM   #54
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Goonie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: North-Central Illinois
Posts: 3,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
To summarize: Will work for food.
That's pretty much my gig! I'll help the neighbors and friends.....and they feed me! (It would most likely be cheaper to give me cash though.....I LOVE food!)
__________________
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 11:21 AM   #55
Moderator Emeritus
Bestwifeever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 16,372
I volunteer for a kids class and it paid off at Christmas when I received several gift cards from local eateries--will teach for food is a good motto too.
__________________
“Would you like an adventure now, or would you like to have your tea first?” J.M. Barrie, Peter Pan
Bestwifeever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 11:49 AM   #56
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
calmloki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Independence
Posts: 5,459
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
No easy answer.

One set of neighbors throw great Thanksgiving/Christmas parties, so we'll help them out whenever they want knowing that we'll have lifetime invitations. It's usually minor electrical problems like a broken Christmas ornament or an appliance repair.

Another woman is raising three kids on her own. (I've met the ex-husband. We are not impressed.) I've shown her and the kids how to fix the easier stuff (unplugging & resetting the disposal) and I charge $25/hour for the rest. She also provides yummy baked goods so that $25/hour is highly negotiable. Better yet, when I was considering ACL reconstruction she gave me the inside scoop on a new hotshot orthopedic surgeon (she's affiliated with a local health insurer). Unfortunately her house has gone through all the easy projects and she's facing repainting, recarpeting, and attic reflective foil insulation. I think she values our advice but I'm not sure that we want to tackle something that big.

We take care of a shipmate's house/tenant, and she's extremely generous. It's almost to the point of embarrassment but we love the exotic (to us) Mainland foods she sends and we manage to cash her checks. We think she sleeps better knowing that she's paying us what we're worth and still coming out ahead of a professional management company. We almost never hear from her tenants so it's no problem.

Most of the other neighbors have asked for an hour or two of help and no one has tried to take advantage of me. We reciprocate pretty fairly/quickly and they're always very generous with holiday food.

I've turned down a couple repairs that I knew immediately were beyond my interest or my (realistic) skill level-- leaky water pipes inside the wall, mold, A/C repairs, roof replacements. After all these years on discussion boards I'm pretty much immune to appeals ("Sorry, but I can refer you to a good contractor") and baiting ("You say you know I can handle this?!? Well, I could probably figure it out on the third try after two weeks, but this is a job for a pro.") I think if I got one more phone call than I was happy to help with, I'd start responding more slowly and finding schedule conflicts.

Hasn't been a big problem yet. Most Hawaii residents are very conscientious about omiyage & obligations, and the jobs I've tackled have either been interesting/fun ("Always wanted to work on one o' them!") or good karma.

Now if you're referring to the phone calls I used to get from my father-in-law, that's a whole 'nother can of issues. Most of them had to be chalked up to my good karma and his bad...

I've been working toward "don't do more for people than they are willing to do for themselves". Some things are work, plain and simple - there's no magic to the repetitive motion in scraping paint or nailing roofing. Betcha in 80% of the times people have asked for my help that when i tell them to trim the bushes away from the fence that needs repair or whatever the urgency disappears and months later the bushes are still there and the fence still needs repair. Thing is, they stop asking because the reason the fence still needs repair is they haven't invested a little of their effort to begin with.

I do fixit stuff for the people i want to help - some old folk, some without skills but doing their best, some because i like them. A very few people i help because they have honor and i know if i call on them they will return worthwhile help. Few people have the combination of obligation - and skills! - to tempt me. If you don't need much it's hard to be tempted. Had to look up omiyage - while appreciation and gifts of appreciation are welcome they do not compel me.
__________________
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 12:22 PM   #57
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
ls99's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 4,792
Gave up fixing stuff (free or for food) for neighbors years ago, when the started stacking their broken VCRs, Stereos and other electronic crap outside my door with notes.
__________________
There must be moderation in everything, including moderation.
ls99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 08:10 PM   #58
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Htown Harry's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,516
Quote:
Originally Posted by TargaDave View Post
Beware of online adds for parttime or consulting work like the one above. This link leads to a UK company (IIB) that takes $20k from you in return for an accredidation (??) and some marketing advice. No thanks.
Good catch, TD, and good advice. Over the years, I had only surfed this site and looked at some of the ads.

I learned in my 20's that employment agencies that charge the applicant are a scam. I shoulda been more wary of how their methods have evolved in the internet age.
__________________
Htown Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 03:04 PM   #59
Moderator Emeritus
Nords's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Oahu
Posts: 26,616
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
To summarize: Will work for food.
Well... uhm... yeah!
__________________
*
*

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 08:58 AM   #60
Full time employment: Posting here.
citrine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 944
How about a part time receptionist at a spa/salon. You can work a few hours, meet a lot of people and get free services
__________________

__________________
citrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Transitioning part of portfolio into fixed income? Synergy FIRE and Money 32 11-27-2007 04:36 AM
full-time vs. part-time tradeoff WM Young Dreamers 14 01-18-2007 06:39 PM
Ideas for your INCOME BUCKET modhatter FIRE and Money 13 11-12-2006 01:23 PM
Medicare Part B premiums to be income adjusted Elderdude Life after FIRE 20 09-14-2006 05:03 PM
Help on finding a part-time job making additional income xmanz3 Other topics 14 06-28-2006 01:05 PM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:32 AM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.