Identity Snafu

dunc0029

Recycles dryer sheets
I just thought I'd ask this forum if anyone has any experience/suggestions. I vaguely remember someone mentioning this type of thing here before. I've suddenly had 2 companies ( WellsFargo and BankOne ) call me and mail me regarding accounts that are not mine ( and are very overdue ) in the past few months. They are addressed to someone with a different middle initial, but same first and last name. They have both now flagged their systems, but I have a bad feeling about this. The BankOne customer service person said it's probably just because I am listed and this guy isn't, so in tracking him down, they randomly picked my address and that it's NOT identity theft. I'm planning to pull my credit report just in case.

Jason

Good idea to get a credit report. Regarding the possibility of identity confusion, I have a lot of experience with this. There is a guy with my same first and last name who lives somewhere near me who must be a truly bad actor.

I have been served with judicial summons twice, both times nearly giving me a heart attack figuring that divorce has finally come- but in each case it was some commercial complaint regarding this a-hole.

Just a few days ago a bill collector called looking for him, but of course figuring that I was lying and was indeed the guy he wanted.

It gets old, but I am not sure what can be done about it.

Mikey

Well, I found a free credit report offer online and the good news is my credit report looks perfect! I guess I just have to live with the mistaken identity. At least both companies have taken action to correct it ... I just hope it's not the tip of the iceberg.

You might put a comment about the identity confusion on all 3 credit reports. Just in case. So another company doesn't pull your report and use it for him. I wonder if you can call the credit report company and speak to them about this situation.

Back
Top Bottom