Join Early Retirement Today
Identity Theft, what to do?!?! :(
Old 03-28-2009, 05:58 PM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets
Identity Theft, what to do?!?! :(

Hello all. Here is the backstory, please bear with me as it may seem a little complicated. In late October of 2008 there was a $350 charge to my checking account that shouldn't have been. It was a charge to pay a WFCB Venue Credit Card. I looked into it and it turns out my next door neighbor somehow got my banking information and made a $350 payment (the WFCB Venue Credit Card was his..or so I thought!). My next door neighbor is somewhat mentally ill in some capacity and lives with his grandmother. Instead of calling the cops like I should have, I presented the issue to the grandmother and said if this happens again, I will call the cops (I also got the $350 charge reversed very easily by my bank, Wachovia). I got my banking account number changed and the issue seemed resolved, and I didn't think much of it.

However, I checked my credit report today with and it seems that the $350 payment was to pay off a credit card that my neighbor signed up for in my name. Here's what probably happened: he signed up for the credit card in my name, charged $4,000 worth of things as that's the credit limit on the card and the current balance is now $7416, and for whatever reason when I had that $350 charge removed WFCB told me the name of the person who charged the account was my neighbor, and I didn't even begin to think the card could be in my name.

So, as I sit here now: I have 2 problems. #1. Should I go to cops immediately? It will take me awhile to gather proof that it was my neighbor (I'm 100% sure it was him, trust me on this). Or wait until Monday when I have the proper proof printed out? #2. The issue of actually getting my name off that credit card and also off my credit report. Thank you so much for your help!!! -Anthony

ACanthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-28-2009, 06:09 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
You may want to call someone at the p.d. More than likely you will get someone in dispatch, so just ask them so you won't have to worry about it tonight.

However, IMO, I suggest you wait until Monday because it would certainly help if you had the paperwork in your hand when you write your statement at the p.d. If you file a report now, you will have to amend the report when you bring the paperwork in on Monday. The p.d. should have all the info you need regarding fraud.

At least that's how it works at my p.d.

There's no need to complicate, our time is short..
bbbamI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 07:58 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Research on the web on what you need to do to correct the damage done on your credit report.
It this person stole your info and charged $4k of thing on it - he isn't that ill and his grandmother must know something strange is going with the grandson that he can afford all this stuff.. Also, he may be doing it to others.
Sometimes death is not as tragic as not knowing how to live. This man knew how to live--and how to make others glad they were living. - Jack Benny at Nat King Cole's funeral
dex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 08:15 AM   #4
This from an old fraud investigator:

Set up a file folder now for this. By the time you're done it'll be about an inch thick with paper.

I agree with bbbamI. Eventually the issuing bank will probably want a copy of the police report but this is only the first step.

Using the information from your credit report contact the issuer of the credit card that was issued in your name. Explain to them what happened. TAKE NOTES! Get the name of the person you spoke with, their branch, department and so on, and a telephone number. Explain to them that they (the bank that issued the credit card) has been the victim of an identity theft and they should close that account. Make it clear that you are NOT going to pay the bill.

Next, send them a letter, certified mail return receipt requested preferably to a specific individual explaining that you did not open the account, that you had no knowledge of it, and that you did not benefit from it. The bank may insist that you fill out a notarized Affidavit Of Forgery and return that to them. This is a PITA, but the bank and the police cannot prosecute the offender without that document, and depending on that state's laws, the bank may not be able to "write off" the debt without it.

In Maryland anyway, nothing happens without that Affidavit Of Forgery.

All written communications from you should be sent certified mail return receipt requested, and of course keep copies of the correspondence for yourself. That's why the file folder is going to get filled. Make sure you have a copy of the Affidavit.

And forget about any soft feelings for the lying, thieving, mentally ill next door neighbor. He ran up the debt, he can deal with the consequences.
I heard the call to do nothing. So I answered it.
Walt34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 02:56 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets
I feel for you!

I got a neighbor that does this your post got my attention.

Thankfully she didn't steal my identity. She has probably ripped off more people and stole more money than 90% of all bank robbers yet she has not served one day in jail!

I hope everything works out for you!

With my neighbor it made me kind of paranoid...I shred everything that leaves my house. And I'm more and more concerned with what information comes in the mail and also i wish that I knew more about the internet and computers. I worry that since I do so much of my financial transactions online that my isp has records that if they ended up in the wrong hands could really do me all my passwords for instance!!

Another thing I thought of is your neighbor might have done this to many more people than just you.

My neighbor has a big list of crime in addition to the identity theft and she gets away with it all.

Last I heard she was indicted by a federal grand jury...but she is still here!

summer2007 is offline   Reply With Quote