Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: If an intruder entered your home what would you do?
Shoot 63 40.13%
Wish I had a firearm so I could shoot 20 12.74%
Call police and hide (outside if you're feeling lucky...) 27 17.20%
Hand over my valuables and hope the intruder goes away 9 5.73%
Don't know 7 4.46%
While looking over barrel of S&W-Ask "Have You Given Much Thought To Early Retirement? - Well Have Ya Punk?" 18 11.46%
Try Out Moves Just Learned in &quotiscovering Karate" class 2 1.27%
Sneak Up On Him And Yell In His Ear 0 0%
Sneak Up On Him And Kiss Him On His Ear 0 0%
Ask Dog To Show Him Out 7 4.46%
Shake spouse awake and say "Greg, Greg, I hear something" 2 1.27%
Walk Up To Him And Say In A Wide-eyed Intimidatingly Scary Mysterious Foreign Accent - Heh, Want To Pull My Finger, Mister? 1 0.64%
Show Him Your Pumpkins 1 0.64%
Voters: 157. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-01-2008, 08:33 AM   #181
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantlogin View Post
I want to know more about this time machine thing.

oh, yeah... GOD BLESS

Hey - that's "had finished a night time machining project" Mr. Funny! My Dad was a machinist and had a couple automatic screw machines (O, this is going to turn out well) in a shop in our home town as well as a main shop up in Portland. He had me babysitting a nighttime production run at the shop in Sheridan after i had finished working day shift for him at the Portland shop.
calmloki is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-01-2008, 08:35 AM   #182
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
a couple automatic screw machines (O, this is going to turn out well)
You've got THAT right. LOL.

"well, theres something you dont want to turn your back on!"

Edit: Whoops, forgot the GOD BLESS!!!!!!

Whew!
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 10:04 AM   #183
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
You've got THAT right. LOL.

"well, theres something you dont want to turn your back on!"

Edit: Whoops, forgot the GOD BLESS!!!!!!

Whew!
I should not have had De Caf this morning.

Rather than a screw in the dark - I remember an old boss(Glen) who had a one handed(don't ask) baseball bat and a Surefight flashlight.

My favorite version of 'I Saw the Light.' is one of the Johnny Cash or Hank Williams versions with the Carter Family.

heh heh heh - This thread is getting to be a struggle - going back to regular coffee. I believe that the Pats have a good football team and Bacon farting dogs need love too.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 02:52 PM   #184
Give me a forum ...

Amen. Pats 19-0 and sometimes you've gotta leave the room...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 03:32 PM   #185
Recycles dryer sheets

I'd be out the door or window, I've got nothing an intruder would want to steal, and I'm not killing anybody over stuff, unless they're trying to kill me.
igsoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 06:57 PM   #186
Give me a forum ...

http://bluestarchronicles.com/greenberet.html :

"Taylor, at age 80 the oldest member of Chapter XXXIII of the Special Forces Association, was on trial by his peers under the charge of failing to use a weapon of sufficient caliber in the shooting of an intruder at his home in Knoxville, TN, in December.
The entire affair, of course, was very much tongue in cheek. Taylor had been awakened in the early morning hours of Dec. 17, 2007, when an intruder broke into his home. He investigated the noises with one of his many weapons in hand.
When the intruder threatened him with a knife, Taylor warned him, then brought his .22 caliber pistol to bear and shot him right between the eyes.
That boy had the hardest head Ive ever seen, Taylor said after his trial. The bullet bounced right off".
Old 02-01-2008, 07:36 PM   #187
Give me a forum ...

boy using a .22 caliber isnt such a smart thing. if you shoot someone and they notice they may be real pissed. ha ha
mathjak107 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 11:14 PM   #188
Moderator Emeritus

I saw an autopsy once on a guy who was shot in the face with a .22. The bullet entered his left eye and "rattled around" inside his skull a few times.

I guess you could bounce one off of a skull at the right angle. A straight on shot at close range should enter the skull. Maybe he aimed too high and skimmed it off the guy's forehead.
Old 02-02-2008, 02:58 AM   #189
Give me a forum ...

the m-16 round is actually a .22 on steriods but a whole lot of gun powder behind it gives it lots of oomph . (.223 caliber) although the bullet itself was puny the power of all that gun powder tended to make the round unstable when it hit tissue and it would tumble creating massive wounds.

the ak47 is double the size of our .223 but 1/2 the speed and turned out to be not so devastating as a caliber. in nam given a choice one would far be better off taking a ak47 round then that lil .223 from our m-16.

the regular size .22 is very puny with only a little gunpowder and as far as stopping power its on the low end of the scale. it has a hard time penetrating bone. it counts more on the wound stopping someone by the organ finally either stopping its work or they just plain bleed out. all that takes time and allows them to carry out their attack on you further. the more powerful calibers count more on the shock of the round staying in the body and dissapating its energy disrupting the nervous system throwing the body into immediate shock. of course hitting a critical organ helps too. its imperative that hollow points be used to avoid over penetrating and exiting

the key to quick stopping power is keeping that round contained in the bad guy. if it exits because the caliber is to over penetrating for that given distance because its a rifle, the wrong type bullet or the wrong choice of caliber usually the shock to the nervous system wont take place and thats where the danger to you starts as they just wont stop their attack on you. remember i spoke of that 20 ft circle rule in an earlier post. .

the best calibers according to MARSHALL AND SNOWS research are big and slow . .357 magnum, .45 and .40 caliber are the best man stoppers. notice i said stoppers not killers. statistacilly the lowly .22 is responsible for more accidental deaths than any other but as a stopper its poor..

the popular 9mm is very poor. its the most popular military caliber in the world because its great at wounding. its a high speed over-penetrating round that in the military world wounds more than kills and thats what you want. carrying wounded slows your enemy down and taxes resources. for sheer stopping power 9mm although popular with law enforcement really is a poor choice for home defense. . its never like the movies where when shot with anything the bad guy just falls down. most times between adrenaline and drugs the bad guy may not even know hes shot for quite a while. its not about killing someone its all about stopping their attack on you.

the rght caliber for the right job.
Old 02-02-2008, 03:20 AM   #190
Give me a forum ...

its amazing what you can learn living on the streets of nyc. ha ha ha
Old 02-02-2008, 06:26 AM   #191
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
for sheer stopping power 9mm although popular with law enforcement really is a poor choice for home defense. . its never like the movies where when shot with anything the bad guy just falls down. most times between adrenaline and drugs the bad guy may not even know hes shot for quite a while. its not about killing someone its all about stopping their attack on you.

That's why more and more police agencies are going to slightly larger rounds. They don't want the the extremely large round due to the small stature of some of the officers. When officers must shoot to stop a threat, if they must empty their magazines to stop it, it is not very effective, either and raises liabilty concerns for the departments.
Old 02-02-2008, 06:37 AM   #192
Give me a forum ...

actually a .45 in a steel frame is much more controllable and less recoil than a 9mm in a plastic glock which is a very popular law enforcement pistol. why soooo many police dept went to 9mm is baffling. the fbi tried it and realized it was a big mistake when many agents were killed in a famous shoot out in florida after hitting the bad guys multiple times with many 9mm rounds and coming out from behind cover only to find they were hit but not neutralized and opened fire on the now exposed agents.

to save face they didnt want to admit that changing from .45 to 9mm was a mistake and go back to the .45 after loosing many agents in the battle so they got together with s&w to invent a new caliber, the .40. it had the stopping power almost of the .45 with the carrying capacity of rounds of the 9mm
Old 02-02-2008, 06:44 AM   #193
Give me a forum ...

anyone interested in starting a new topic: the legalites of self protection? and how there is rarely any self defence with any kind of weapon thats black and white just different shades of gray. lots to know in this area
Old 02-02-2008, 07:51 AM   #194

Quote:
actually a .45 in a steel frame is much more controllable and less recoil than a 9mm in a plastic glock which is a very popular law enforcement pistol. why soooo many police dept went to 9mm is baffling. the fbi tried it and realized it was a big mistake when many agents were killed in a famous shoot out in florida after hitting the bad guys multiple times with many 9mm rounds and coming out from behind cover only to find they were hit but not neutralized and opened fire on the now exposed agents.
Right, I was not specific, what I meant was the weight and size of the pistol, not the recoil. The larger caliber pistols typically are heavier than the 9mm, although the .40 I carried was about the same weight as my personal 9mm. Smaller officers can have a hard time obtaining a good grip on the pistol. Also running with the extra weight is a bear, street cops carry anywhere from an extra 15 lbs for smaller officers to as much as an extra 30 lbs for larger ones. Any place to find a weight savings is greatly appreciated.
Old 02-02-2008, 09:03 AM   #195
Recycles dryer sheets

HOw does one protect its ear when you shoot a high caliber pistol in this situation? I understand that this type of weapon are deafening.
steve88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 09:49 AM   #196
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve88 View Post
HOw does one protect its ear when you shoot a high caliber pistol in this situation? I understand that this type of weapon are deafening.
Put these on before you get ready to shoot, as well eye protection and a pair of gloves for powder burn :

AEARO PELTOR BULL'S-EYE 9 - Shooting Ear Protection
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 10:08 AM   #197

Well, I guess we can say our Board members would vote for the right to carry a concealed weapon by the votes. Smart.
Orchidflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 10:15 AM   #198
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Put these on before you get ready to shoot, as well eye protection and a pair of gloves for powder burn :

AEARO PELTOR BULL'S-EYE 9 - Shooting Ear Protection
Keep 'em under your pillow, just in case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidflower View Post
Well, I guess we can say our Board members would vote for the right to carry a concealed weapon by the votes. Smart.
Or people are just having a bit of fun with the topic.

I know guns, grew up with guns, and we have guns. I still favor some gun controls, like waiting periods and background checks. I would also support required training before you purchase a gun. Water is too far over the bridge for much in the way of bans. I do not support most concealed carry laws and the one in Minnesota is an embarrassment. If you don't want guns in your business premises, you have to post a "no guns allowed" sign and have a mechanism for checking your weapon. Blech.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 10:36 AM   #199
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
the m-16 round is actually a .22 on steriods but a whole lot of gun powder behind it gives it lots of oomph . (.223 caliber) although the bullet itself was puny the power of all that gun powder tended to make the round unstable when it hit tissue and it would tumble creating massive wounds. ...
I am a Curio and Relic FFL holder - lets me buy old and/or odd military weapons. Have a couple CZ-52 pistols that have an interesting rolling barrel mechanism - they fire a bottlenecked cartridge - if you get the hotter submachinegun ammo it does something over 1600 fps - very distinct and painful CRACK when fired. Also does a creditable imitation of a flamethrower. Might miss someone at 6' with the round but the flame will turn 'em extra crispy. Bad-@ss looking pistol - very flat and uncomfortable to hold. Much prefer shooting my .45. There is a new semi-auto pistol out that fires an expensive bottlenecked .22 round at speeds in excess of 2000fps. Ehh. still like my .45 - more like chunkin' a big ol' rock at something.

"How does one protect its ear when you shoot a high caliber pistol in this situation? I understand that this type of weapon are deafening".

My uninformed guess is that one doesn't. If you have time to get on your shooting glasses, ear protection, and gloves(?) you have time to remove yourself from the scene. My guess is that conflict hurts.
Old 02-02-2008, 10:57 AM   #200

I would be interested in knowing more about the legality of self defense in your home. I vaguely remember something like, if you have an opportunity to escape without fear for your safety you are obligated to do that, but if that's not possible then you are allowed to use force. I wonder if this may vary by state.
growing_older is offline   Reply With Quote