Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: If an intruder entered your home what would you do?
Shoot 63 40.13%
Wish I had a firearm so I could shoot 20 12.74%
Call police and hide (outside if you're feeling lucky...) 27 17.20%
Hand over my valuables and hope the intruder goes away 9 5.73%
Don't know 7 4.46%
While looking over barrel of S&W-Ask "Have You Given Much Thought To Early Retirement? - Well Have Ya Punk?" 18 11.46%
Try Out Moves Just Learned in &quotiscovering Karate" class 2 1.27%
Sneak Up On Him And Yell In His Ear 0 0%
Sneak Up On Him And Kiss Him On His Ear 0 0%
Ask Dog To Show Him Out 7 4.46%
Shake spouse awake and say "Greg, Greg, I hear something" 2 1.27%
Walk Up To Him And Say In A Wide-eyed Intimidatingly Scary Mysterious Foreign Accent - Heh, Want To Pull My Finger, Mister? 1 0.64%
Show Him Your Pumpkins 1 0.64%
Voters: 157. You may not vote on this poll

Re: If An Intruder Entered Your Home What Would You Do?
Old 02-07-2007, 11:41 AM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute Fuzzy Bunny
I have a fake ADT sign I bought on ebay.

I imagine that nets me about 85% of the value with no false alarms.

Isnt this game sort of another case of "just look less inviting than your neighbors" / only have to outrun the other guy when the bear's chasing you ?
I have no doubt you are correct. But the plan is pretty cheap, we keep getting the trial deal and when that time runs out we threaten to leave and they extend the trial deal.

Side bonus, next door neighbor installs the systems for a living, so his big ADT van is right there. Two cops live in the 'hood as well, so there is always black and whites parked there, too. Now all I have to worry about is the stupid crooks.
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-07-2007, 11:45 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
[MODERATOR EDIT]

Actually I believe the last credible stat I saw showed that you're far more likely to completely empty a gun and miss on every shot from six feet away than you are to successfully shoot an intruder.

Thats gotta be an awkward moment. You're there with an empty gun. He's there with full underpants. Now what?
This comment is still inappropriate as it is clearly unprovoked, and meant to start a flame war.
azanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 12:32 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Anyone see that old commercial of the intruder knocking out the second-story screen as our intrepid homeowner takes aim, ready to fire as soon as he's sure his bullets won't damage the screen?

The screen falls to the floor, the intruder follows, the homeowner shoots... only to discover that it's his teenage son sneaking back into the house.

I'm going to stick with the "run like a scared bunny" response.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 12:41 PM   #24
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
I'm going to stick with the "run like a scared bunny" response.
My choice as well.
Old 02-07-2007, 12:42 PM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Hey Az, learn to take a joke. It was nothing more than one of my usual bad efforts at bad humor.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 01:02 PM   #26

I figure if he/she gets past the dog they really want what we've got and they can take it, then I'll shoot them in the arse on the way out the door.

Police Chief lives on my street along with 2 police officers from the next town 3 doors down from him. Two months ago one of the officers houses was broken into, police coverage in my neighborhood has been spectacular ever since.

Dogs aren't our whole lives, but they make our lives whole. - Roger Caras
Outtahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 01:36 PM   #27
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Hey Az, learn to take a joke. It was nothing more than one of my usual bad efforts at bad humor.
I thought it was hilarious myself -- but I'm from the slow class and may well have missed some deeper meaning.

I have a small pistol myself and judging by my results on the range and the serious correction factor in my eyeglass perscription, I can pretty easily imagine myself unloading the gun into everything BUT the intruder.

So I'll be legging it like Nords and Gumby if anyone ever gets in. But I prefer the keep 'em out in the first place approach. Good locks, good lights, and I'm thinking seriously about adding an alarm system and / or a mid-sized dog.
Caroline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 02:15 PM   #28

Man, I'd much rather have someone take my stereo and computer than have to pry bullets out of the floor/wall and clean up brown and/or red liquid from all over the floor....especially if the liquid came from me or my family. I figure that there is almost no chance that I would have the weapon in my hand at the proper time, anyway. I'm certainly not going to keep a loaded weapon at hand with a couple of often-out-of-their-mind teenagers in the house! :P

(Welcome back, Dan).
scrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 02:25 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute Fuzzy Bunny
I have a fake ADT sign I bought on ebay.

I imagine that nets me about 85% of the value with no false alarms.

Isnt this game sort of another case of "just look less inviting than your neighbors" / only have to outrun the other guy when the bear's chasing you ?
I do the same thing with the ADT sign..............my neighbor was throwing it out......

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 02:27 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azanon
This comment is still inappropriate as it is clearly unprovoked, and meant to start a flame war.
Az............he was kidding, you get that, right??

Old 02-07-2007, 02:31 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby
My choice as well.
I live LESS than 1 mile from the police station...........a saw a suspicious car cruising down the street one night, seemed to be casing the area. I waited, hidden behind a curtain, and when the car made another pass I called the cops. There were FOUR cop cars there in less than two minutes, they sealed off the block, surrounded the car, and took the guy away. Turns out there was an outstanding warrant on him........for burglary..............

Never have mided paying my property taxes since..........

Old 02-07-2007, 02:38 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caroline
and / or a mid-sized dog.
Do yourself and the dog a favor: only get a dog if you want a companion.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 03:20 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Not a great poll - where is get out of the house as an option?
Old 02-07-2007, 03:41 PM   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude
Further responses to Azanon will have to be sent as a PM, providing he has a valid e-mail address linked to his E-R.org account.

Or contact him through his MySpace page.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 04:18 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345
Do yourself and the dog a favor: only get a dog if you want a companion.
YES companion first noise maker second.
Old 02-07-2007, 04:19 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude
No, come on...everything I write has a second, secret, insidious meaning. :

This aint that tough. If it looks like i'm trying to be informational, pay no heed as I have no idea what i'm talking about. If it doesnt look informational, I was trying to make you laugh. If it didnt make you laugh, then I fully failed on either count and just move along...

Do note that the 'you' in the preceding paragraph meant the generic 'you' and not YOU personally. I'd hate to see any other cases of mistaken intent occur until at least tomorrow.

Disclaimers

This disclaimer does not cover misuse, accident, lightning, flood, tornado, tsunami, volcanic eruption, earthquake, hurricanes and other Acts of God, neglect, damage from improper reading, incorrect line voltage, improper or unauthorized use, broken antenna or marred cabinet, missing or altered serial numbers, removal of tag, electromagnetic radiation from nuclear blasts, sonic boom, crash, ship sinking or taking on water, motor vehicle crashing, dropping the item, falling rocks, leaky roof, broken glass, mud slides, forest fire, or projectile (which can include, but not be limited to, arrows, bullets, shot, BB’s, paintball, shrapnel, lasers, napalm, torpedoes, or emissions of X-rays, Alpha, Beta and Gamma rays, knives, stones, etc.).

No license, express or implied, by estoppel or otherwise, to any Intellectual property rights are granted herein.

Cute Fuzzy Bunny (CFB) disclaims all liability, including liability for infringement of any proprietary rights, relating to use of information in this specification. CFB does not warrant or represent that such use will not infringe such rights. In fact, that’s a very strong possibility.

Nothing in this document constitutes a guarantee, warranty, or license, express or implied. CFB disclaims all liability for all such guaranties, warranties, and licenses, including but not limited to: fitness for a particular purpose; merchantability; non-infringement of intellectual property or other rights of any third party or of CFB; indemnity; and all others. The reader is advised that third parties may have intellectual property rights that may be relevant to this document and the technologies discussed herein, and is advised to seek the advice of competent legal counsel, without obligation to CFB. In other words, get your own ****ing lawyer before you hurt yourself.

These materials are provided by CFB as a service to his friends and/or customers and may be used for informational purposes only. Single copies may be distributed at will since it is unlikely that CFB created this material independently as he has no creative skill.

TRADEMARK INFORMATION: CFB and the CFB logo are registered trademarks of CFB.

CFB's trademarks may be used publicly with permission only from CFB. Fair use of CFB's trademarks in advertising and promotion of CFB products requires proper acknowledgment. If you use CFB’s trademarks without CFB’s express approval, he will get really pissed off.

*All other brands and names are property of their respective owners.

OWNERSHIP OF MATERIALS: Materials are copyrighted and are protected by worldwide copyright laws and treaty provisions. They may not be copied, reproduced, modified, published, uploaded, posted, transmitted, or distributed in any way, without CFB's prior written permission, which is freely granted as long as you take CFB’s name off in some lame attempt to either hide the materials origin or in the hilarious belief that the receiver of this material will think that you created it on your own, or somehow will think you more clever and intelligent that you really are. Note that CFB’s jokes will not get you laid. That doesn’t even work for CFB. Except as expressly provided herein, CFB does not grant any express or implied right to you under any patents, copyrights, trademarks, or trade secret information. Other rights may be granted to you by CFB in writing or incorporated elsewhere in the Materials.

DISCLAIMER: THE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTY OF ANY KIND INCLUDING WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, NONINFRINGEMENT OF INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY, OR FITNESS FOR ANY PARTICULAR PURPOSE. IN NO EVENT SHALL CFB OR HIS SUPPLIERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY DAMAGES WHATSOEVER (INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, DAMAGES FOR LOSS OF PROFITS, BUSINESS INTERRUPTION, LOSS OF INFORMATION) ARISING OUT OF THE USE OF OR INABILITY TO USE THE MATERIALS, EVEN IF CFB HAS BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES. BECAUSE SOME JURISDICTIONS PROHIBIT THE EXCLUSION OR LIMITATION OF LIABILITY FOR CONSEQUENTIAL OR INCIDENTAL DAMAGES, THE ABOVE LIMITATION MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU.

CFB further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. CFB may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. CFB makes no commitment to update the Materials. In other words, if you **** it up, you’re on your own.

U.S. GOVERNMENT RESTRICTED RIGHTS: The Materials are provided with "RESTRICTED RIGHTS." Use, duplication, or disclosure by the Government is subject to restrictions as set forth in FAR52.227-14 and DFAR252.227-7013 et seq. or its successor. Use of the Materials by the Government constitutes acknowledgment of CFB's proprietary rights in them and excludes him from ever having to pay income taxes ever again, along with assigning the rights of King of Rhode Island to CFB to use as he sees fit.

Copyright © 1995-2007 CFB. All rights reserved.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 05:12 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex
Not a great poll - where is get out of the house as an option?
Also want to know where other options are such as, "Demonstrate with nunchuks why it is in the best interests of the intruder to leave as fast as possible"
Peaceful_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 05:40 PM   #38

If An Intruder Entered Your Home What Would You Do?
Unfortuantely, the real answer to this question is that I would probably sleep right through it. I sleep very soundly. But if the intrusion were coincidental with a tornado tearing the roof off my house (which is what it might take to wake me), I think I would probably try to get out of the house.
sgeeeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 06:14 PM   #39

I don't see an option for "pull scary foreigner act" and look and sound intimidating.

Got a security system, and a (fairly useless) dog, and probably more importantly have security system stickers around the house and a dog house in the front yard (which the dog won't even use). Use of deadly force in defense of property is NOT smiled upon indulgently around these parts, so no weapons for me.

bpp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 06:18 PM   #40

Two in the pumpkin, five in the center of mass.

Second clip is optional and freestyle.
DRiP Guy is offline   Reply With Quote