Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: If an intruder entered your home what would you do?
Shoot 63 40.13%
Wish I had a firearm so I could shoot 20 12.74%
Call police and hide (outside if you're feeling lucky...) 27 17.20%
Hand over my valuables and hope the intruder goes away 9 5.73%
Don't know 7 4.46%
While looking over barrel of S&W-Ask "Have You Given Much Thought To Early Retirement? - Well Have Ya Punk?" 18 11.46%
Try Out Moves Just Learned in &quotiscovering Karate" class 2 1.27%
Sneak Up On Him And Yell In His Ear 0 0%
Sneak Up On Him And Kiss Him On His Ear 0 0%
Ask Dog To Show Him Out 7 4.46%
Shake spouse awake and say "Greg, Greg, I hear something" 2 1.27%
Walk Up To Him And Say In A Wide-eyed Intimidatingly Scary Mysterious Foreign Accent - Heh, Want To Pull My Finger, Mister? 1 0.64%
Show Him Your Pumpkins 1 0.64%
Voters: 157. You may not vote on this poll

Re: If An Intruder Entered Your Home What Would You Do?
Old 02-07-2007, 06:22 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRiP Guy
Two in the pumpkin, five in the center of mass.
Are you referring to Al's last post?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl
[img width=750 height=562]http://gpsinformation.net/exe/harvest-moon.jpg[/img]
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-07-2007, 06:37 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Give me all your dough, or the pumpkin gets it...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 06:47 PM   #43
Full time employment: Posting here.

DRiP Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 07:07 PM   #44

As long as we're adding new options, how about the one I requested?

Though maybe Al's statue in the front yard would work just as well.
bpp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 07:45 PM   #45
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I voted call the police and hide.

Tonight, I went to pick up my daughter's friend. He called me and told me not to come down his street due to ice. I called him when I was at the street next to his and then I turned my car around. I notice a guy standing behind my car and it is cold outside. Next thing I know, he was at my back door on the passenger side trying to open my door. Our eyes locked and I shook my head no, at the same time praying that my door was locked. He tried to get in a second time and I was thinking should I try to get my keys out and my purse and run, if he somehow gets in my car. About the same time, I sense a car pull up beside me on this narrow street and I am starting to feel panicked. I look over at the car and see that it is a taxi. I look back at the guy, he sees the taxi, and he is mouthing I'm sorry, I'm sorry to me. What a relief! But just as in this situation, I basically froze and did not know what to do.
Dreamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 09:26 PM   #46
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute Fuzzy Bunny
Disclaimers
This disclaimer does not cover misuse, accident, lightning, flood, tornado, tsunami, volcanic eruption, earthquake, hurricanes and other Acts of God, neglect, damage from blah blah blah...
I didn't read all that, but I just did a keyword search for "live badger" and it wasn't there. What now?!?

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 10:20 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

That was "old school". Made ya look!

Great memory though.

For the l'il ones that are still wet behind the ears, Nords is reminiscing about an old story. I was once faced with a group of mindless bureaucrats who demanded more and more documentation from me about a fairly simple matter. Clearly I wasnt winning the "thump test" in the committees eyes. As I continued to add more, it almost looked like they werent even reading the stuff for content.

So I inserted several paragraphs involving the issues of maintaining live badgers.

As they continued their calls for more detail, I increased the badger content.

A few weeks later the committee head called me and asked me how long the stuff on badgers had been in there. When I told him that it'd been there for the last 4 or so iterations, he thanked me and hung up.

The program and its documentation were passed without comment on the next go-round.

For the next 10 or so years, every time I walked by him in the hallway he blushed and muttered "badgers...".

So if you're faced with an intruder...hit 'em with some nice fortune 500 BS documentation!
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 11:05 PM   #48

Quote:
Walk Up To Him And Say In A Wide-eyed Intimidatingly Scary Mysterious Foreign Accent - Heh, Want To Pull My Finger, Mister?
I'm thinking that encountering a stocky, gorilla-stomping hairy barbarian who is bellowing in rapid-fire English at the top of his lungs ought to put most burglars just far enough off-balance for them to temporarily lose control of the situation. At least that is not what they would be expecting to find in a nice quiet Japanese suburb, unless they had noticed the obviously foreign name-plate on the gate -- hmm, another deterrent, that?
bpp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 11:32 PM   #49

Quote:
Actually I believe the last credible stat I saw showed that you're far more likely to completely empty a gun and miss on every shot from six feet away than you are to successfully shoot an intruder.
There’s no real comparison between shooting at pieces of paper on the range and shooting at a living target that moves and may even shoot back.

Quote:
Thats gotta be an awkward moment. You're there with an empty gun. He's there with full underpants. Now what?
I got a call once to a house regarding a burglary in progress. When I got there I found a woman who had been home alone when an intruder entered her garage. She had been sleeping on the sofa waiting for her husband to come home from a late shift. The hubby had taught her to shoot their S&W model 10, which she grabbed from the bookshelf as she walked into the kitchen.

She was a cute little thing. Fuzzy pink bathrobe, matching slippers, very sweet girl. She said the intruder had come into the house and she had emptied the gun at him while standing in the kitchen as he came in from the garage. The bad guys were long gone by the time she collected her wits, called hubby who told her to call the police.

It was a galley style kitchen and she planted herself right in front of the door to the garage. If she extended her arms fully she could almost touch the door while her butt was up against the counter. I started looking for bullet holes and blood. Hubby showed up as I went back inside and asked her to retell the story again.
Quote:
I stood right there in the kitchen, and as soon as the door opened from the garage I started shooting.

And then what happened.

He ran and I slammed the door shut and locked it.

And you never left the kitchen?

No, why?
I showed her the bullet holes in her house. Actually, in the ceiling of the garage. Then we made a 90-degree turn and I showed her the bullet holes in the wall around the door leading to the side of the house. Then I took her outside and we made another 90-degree turn as we walked along the fence and I showed her the final bullet holes.
Quote:
Oh my God. Officer, do you know what I did? I chased that man!
She only realized it after she saw where her bullets went. She had charged the bad guy and chased after him with her little pistol blazing away. She didn’t remember much of a description of him, even though she was as close as three-five feet from him. When I was almost done I asked her if she saw anybody other than the guy she shot at, and she said she hadn’t seen anyone but she knew someone else was there.
Quote:
How do you know that?

Well, when I started shooting I heard someone start screaming outside the house. Whoever it was kept on screaming as their voice went into the backyard, and I could tell when he jumped over the fence by the way his scream changed.
If it would not have been unprofessional I would have asked her if she had a cute sister I could marry.
Old 02-08-2007, 03:17 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex
Not a great poll - where is get out of the house as an option?
It's not.
Old 02-08-2007, 03:25 AM   #51
Give me a forum ...

bang! who is it?
mathjak107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 06:42 AM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Great story leonidas...fits nicely with the 'whose truth' thread...even people participating in a situation remember it other than how it actually happened until faced with evidence to the contrary...some great cognitive dissonance...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 06:25 PM   #53
Recycles dryer sheets

Years ago we had a situation like this happen to us . I was downstairs in the den watching a late show when I heard someone open the door to the front
vestibule, and I had to decide what to do, the phone was not reachable( would have to pass the front door) Do you hide, try to sneak, or scream loud enough to wake hubby who was upstairs with 4 sleeping kids. I decide my husband needed at least a chance to be awake if this guy had a gun.
So I screamed like I had never screamed before .

The next few seconds seemed like hours
Intruder continues walking in, Hubby wakes. Comes racing down the stairs and
just like one of the options in the poll uses a new karate move from a couple of weeks of classes.
He holds on to both sides of the banaster jumps in the air and kicks the guy in the chest with both feet , knocking him back against the wall .
Stunning the guy, he keeps yelling at him and throws him out the front door as I'm calling the cops. . It only then I'm thinking I got to get a robe on over my pj's before the cops get here and I look over at hubby again to realise he's in his birthday suit. No wonder the guy was stunned.

The real kicker to this story is the cops arrive listen to our story yada yada .. go out and find the guy still wandering in the neighbor hood... Drunk and now bruised and totally confused he was so shitfaced he thought he was walkng into his own home after drinking downtown and walking home but he was off by several blocks.. gee he never stopped by again. And we keep lock front door now.
5j404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 06:36 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107
bang! who is it?
RULE I: ALL GUNS ARE ALWAYS LOADED

RULE II: NEVER LET THE MUZZLE COVER ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT WILLING TO DESTROY

RULE III: KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOUR SIGHTS ARE ON THE TARGET

RULE IV: BE SURE OF YOUR TARGET

Pretty simple.
Old 02-09-2007, 05:50 PM   #55

Quote:
RULE I: ALL GUNS ARE ALWAYS LOADED

RULE II: NEVER LET THE MUZZLE COVER ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT WILLING TO DESTROY

RULE III: KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOUR SIGHTS ARE ON THE TARGET

I'll bet the drunk guy was glad that 5j404 didn't know these rules.

Man, how many times would a drunk or a confused old man or a 14-year-old get shot for each time a Charles Manson was nailed? Or a spouse or a child, for that matter? It's bad enough to break someone's sternum with your heels. A stereo and a computer just aren't worth it!
scrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 06:46 PM   #56

In Colorado we have what's charmingly called the "Make My Day" law, which states that a person may defend the contents of her home and/or her person with deadly force against an intruder. I was happy to hear about this and hope that all women who have restraining orders take full advantage.

Recently legislators proposed an extended version which is being called the "Make My Day Better" law which allows the same privilege to car drivers (being hijacked for example) and in their businesses. Makes perfect sense to me. Some people will be happy to fight to the death over their cars.

I don't live in a high crime area and don't have a gun but I feel all warm and cozy realizing that if I did decide to blow an intruder's brains out I would be protected by law. :
Zoocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 06:53 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrinch
I'll bet the drunk guy was glad that 5j404 didn't know these rules.

A stereo and a computer just aren't worth it!

Pretty simple.

[tap tap tap -- is this thing on?]
Old 02-10-2007, 12:39 AM   #58

Quote:

Pretty simple.

[tap tap tap -- is this thing on?] laugh
Sorry, my bad. I didn't realize you were going to go through an interview process to get out all the facts before firing. Good for you!
scrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 06:33 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrinch
Sorry, my bad. I didn't realize you were going to go through an interview process to get out all the facts before firing. Good for you!
This is where good security of your house is important. Take 5j404's example. 5J don't take this as I'm picking on you, you learned your lesson. If everyone in the house is asleep the door should be locked. The only way an intruder could enter is if they break something, pick a lock (which is easier then you'd think for a sober person), or to have a key. The local drunk probably won't have a key to your house. The daughter's boyfriend, probably won't break anything or pick the lock. And the old guy with dementia probably won't break the door, pick the lock, or have a key.

The whole thing boils down to training. There is more to it than just pulling the trigger on something moving. If the homeowner doesn't know what they are doing they are more of a danger than anything else. In Florida a burglary is a crime committed in the curtilage or the interior of a structure by someone who is not supposed to be on the property. Your curtilage is basically anything that has a roof over it. Deadly force is allowed in the instance of burglary. I used to think it was ironic that someone you don't know can be standing on your porch at 2 am yelling at the top of their lungs could be shot and you would be "within" the law. Of course you'd be arrested, tried and probable convicted, but you'd be "within" the law.
Old 02-10-2007, 07:35 AM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldbabe
In Colorado we have what's charmingly called the "Make My Day" law, which states that a person may defend the contents of her home and/or her person with deadly force against an intruder. I was happy to hear about this and hope that all women who have restraining orders take full advantage.
Wow - only women?