If An Intruder Entered Your Home What Would You Do?

If an intruder entered your home what would you do?

• Shoot

Votes: 63 40.1%
  • Wish I had a firearm so I could shoot

Votes: 20 12.7%
  • Call police and hide (outside if you're feeling lucky...)

Votes: 27 17.2%
  • Hand over my valuables and hope the intruder goes away

Votes: 9 5.7%
  • Don't know

Votes: 7 4.5%
  • While looking over barrel of S&W-Ask "Have You Given Much Thought To Early Retirement? - Well Have Y

Votes: 18 11.5%
  • Try Out Moves Just Learned in "Discovering Karate" class

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sneak Up On Him And Yell In His Ear

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Sneak Up On Him And Kiss Him On His Ear

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ask Dog To Show Him Out

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • Shake spouse awake and say "Greg, Greg, I hear something"

Votes: 5 3.2%
  • Walk Up To Him And Say In A Wide-eyed Intimidatingly Scary Mysterious Foreign Accent - Heh, Want To

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Show Him Your Pumpkins

Votes: 2 1.3%

• Total voters
Re: If An Intruder Entered Your Home What Would You Do?

bang! who is it?

Great story leonidas...fits nicely with the 'whose truth' thread...even people participating in a situation remember it other than how it actually happened until faced with evidence to the contrary...some great cognitive dissonance...

Years ago we had a situation like this happen to us . I was downstairs in the den watching a late show when I heard someone open the door to the front
vestibule, and I had to decide what to do, the phone was not reachable( would have to pass the front door) Do you hide, try to sneak, or scream loud enough to wake hubby who was upstairs with 4 sleeping kids. I decide my husband needed at least a chance to be awake if this guy had a gun.
So I screamed like I had never screamed before .

The next few seconds seemed like hours
Intruder continues walking in, Hubby wakes. Comes racing down the stairs and
just like one of the options in the poll uses a new karate move from a couple of weeks of classes.
He holds on to both sides of the banaster jumps in the air and kicks the guy in the chest with both feet , knocking him back against the wall .
Stunning the guy, he keeps yelling at him and throws him out the front door as I'm calling the cops. . It only then I'm thinking I got to get a robe on over my pj's before the cops get here and I look over at hubby again to realise he's in his birthday suit. No wonder the guy was stunned.

The real kicker to this story is the cops arrive listen to our story yada yada .. go out and find the guy still wandering in the neighbor hood... Drunk and now bruised and totally confused he was so shitfaced he thought he was walkng into his own home after drinking downtown and walking home but he was off by several blocks.. gee he never stopped by again. And we keep lock front door now.

mathjak107 said:
bang! who is it?

RULE I: ALL GUNS ARE ALWAYS LOADED

RULE II: NEVER LET THE MUZZLE COVER ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT WILLING TO DESTROY

RULE III: KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOUR SIGHTS ARE ON THE TARGET

RULE IV: BE SURE OF YOUR TARGET

Pretty simple.

RULE I: ALL GUNS ARE ALWAYS LOADED

RULE II: NEVER LET THE MUZZLE COVER ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT WILLING TO DESTROY

RULE III: KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOUR SIGHTS ARE ON THE TARGET

I'll bet the drunk guy was glad that 5j404 didn't know these rules.

Man, how many times would a drunk or a confused old man or a 14-year-old get shot for each time a Charles Manson was nailed? Or a spouse or a child, for that matter? It's bad enough to break someone's sternum with your heels. A stereo and a computer just aren't worth it!

In Colorado we have what's charmingly called the "Make My Day" law, which states that a person may defend the contents of her home and/or her person with deadly force against an intruder. I was happy to hear about this and hope that all women who have restraining orders take full advantage.

Recently legislators proposed an extended version which is being called the "Make My Day Better" law which allows the same privilege to car drivers (being hijacked for example) and in their businesses. Makes perfect sense to me. Some people will be happy to fight to the death over their cars.

I don't live in a high crime area and don't have a gun but I feel all warm and cozy realizing that if I did decide to blow an intruder's brains out I would be protected by law. ::)

scrinch said:
I'll bet the drunk guy was glad that 5j404 didn't know these rules.

A stereo and a computer just aren't worth it!

Pretty simple.

[tap tap tap -- is this thing on?] :LOL:

Pretty simple.

[tap tap tap -- is this thing on?] laugh

Sorry, my bad. I didn't realize you were going to go through an interview process to get out all the facts before firing. Good for you!

scrinch said:
Sorry, my bad. I didn't realize you were going to go through an interview process to get out all the facts before firing. Good for you!

This is where good security of your house is important. Take 5j404's example. 5J don't take this as I'm picking on you, you learned your lesson. If everyone in the house is asleep the door should be locked. The only way an intruder could enter is if they break something, pick a lock (which is easier then you'd think for a sober person), or to have a key. The local drunk probably won't have a key to your house. The daughter's boyfriend, probably won't break anything or pick the lock. And the old guy with dementia probably won't break the door, pick the lock, or have a key.

The whole thing boils down to training. There is more to it than just pulling the trigger on something moving. If the homeowner doesn't know what they are doing they are more of a danger than anything else. In Florida a burglary is a crime committed in the curtilage or the interior of a structure by someone who is not supposed to be on the property. Your curtilage is basically anything that has a roof over it. Deadly force is allowed in the instance of burglary. I used to think it was ironic that someone you don't know can be standing on your porch at 2 am yelling at the top of their lungs could be shot and you would be "within" the law. Of course you'd be arrested, tried and probable convicted, but you'd be "within" the law.

Oldbabe said:
In Colorado we have what's charmingly called the "Make My Day" law, which states that a person may defend the contents of her home and/or her person with deadly force against an intruder. I was happy to hear about this and hope that all women who have restraining orders take full advantage.

Wow - only women?

scrinch said:

Hmmmm.....

So I take it your position (clearly) is that I should be prohibited from having deadly force to use within my home to defend myself (the most basic of all human rights, BTW - self defense within your own abode) because:

a) either the intruder will just be an innocuous irritant without malevolent intent and I will likely shoot too soon, or else,
b) I will be unable to detect the threat timely, and will therefore not be able to act in a way so as to prevent harm to myself?

Yes.... I see. Although I don't agree, of course.

The fact some idiots having a lack of sense, insufficient training and experience, might go out and plow their cars into stop signs, houses, people, or other cars, and may even be even while drunk or exhibiting other poor judgment while doing so, means to your way of thinking that no citizen should have a car; is that pretty much your thinking on that topic as well?

Or, is it just firearms with you that are evil? And based on how well you see it working in your travels to various less safe countries, perhaps you advocate the disarming of the citizenry in the US -- to make us safer for the government to manage our affairs for us?

I sense that's another area you and I would not reach an accommodation. I'm willing to leave it at that, but you keep on giving me argument if you like, and I'll respond.

Have you ever even shot a firearm? One of your posts mentioned that you enjoyed flying for the sense of freedom, and for the need to concentrate, and that gave you some sense of satisfaction. Guess what? Taking a .22 down to the range, and poking some holes in a paper plate can give you the same feeling -- relaxation, concentration, breath control, etc.

It is clear that you know nothing of the four rules I stated. For instance, the first one you apparently misinterpreted to mean "Keep yer guns all full up with ammo at all times, boys!" The real meaning of course, is that each gun should be treated as if it were loaded, in terms of safe handling, not aiming it at anything, etc. Think of all the morons you hear about in 'cleaning' accidents on 'empty' guns. Those people likely never attended a basic firearms course, and are otherwise idiots, as well.

Same with rule two -- I suspect you read that to mean - "find a target! Point the gun! Use the gun!" It's real meaning, of course, to those who know, is do not EVER point the weapon at anything you do not wish to destroy. It speaks to the awesome power of the tool, not to encouraging it's indiscriminate use! In other words, if you are in the living room and point a revolver at the TeeVee, consider it gone (see rule #1 - it's always to be considered loaded). I grew up around guns all my life, and those who know, take these rules very seriously and in the proper context, just as the training makes evident.

I would even recommend a basic firearms safety course for you, even if you don't own or want to own one; it might do wonders for your attitude, understanding, and respect for firearms. You might even find a rewarding new hobby, and meet a bunch of non-stereotypical new friends, WHILE you expand your understanding beyond pat smug ignorant liberal clap-trap.

:)
`

lets-retire said:
The daughter's boyfriend, probably won't break anything or pick the lock.

You're quite fortunate that I didnt date your daughter...on several fronts ;)

Cute Fuzzy Bunny said:
You're quite fortunate that I didnt date your daughter...on several fronts ;)

I'm quite fortunate.....I don't have a daughter. :D

That sure would have made the time spent defeating locks, jimmying doors and climbing up to second story windows a big waste of time. :LOL:

I didn't see anyone refer to this story, but last week in rural Minnesota farm country, an intruder broke into a farmhome. The owner confronted him with a shotgun, a fight broke out and the homeowner ended up getting killed by his own gun. Then the intruder reloaded and shot his wife & son "accidently" according to his statement.

This is a very difficult situation, I think of the times in my mis-spent youth when I snuck back into the house when my folks didn't know I was gone. I sure wouldn't have wanted my dad meeting me with his Winchester. I also remember going to friend's houses and their parents didn't know we were coming in the house.

I am a firearms instructor and am very capable with my guns, I have to say I would have an extremely hard time pulling the trigger until I identified the intruder and felt they were a threat to me or my family's well being. I sure wouldn't follow anyone once the immediate threat was over.

On a financial note, I can't imagine the lawsuits that would follow. I seriously doubt your personal liability or umbrella policies would provide any coverage for an intentional act like this.

Empty Pockets said:
I didn't see anyone refer to this story, but last week in rural Minnesota farm country, an intruder broke into a farmhome. The owner confronted him with a shotgun, a fight broke out and the homeowner ended up getting killed by his own gun. Then the intruder reloaded and shot his wife & son "accidently" according to his statement.

I don't have the statistics on how often a firearm is used in defense to good effect, versus those stories that the press loves to trot out, such as the one you reference. Putting that aside, and just looking at individual cases, the most important thing about either having a weapon in the home, or carrying one (if you chose to get a CCW permit) is that you must be both prepared and trained to use it. But that is not enough. You must also be willing to use it, you must think through the terrible and awesome thing it means to use it, and be ready, or else you should not have one, because it will indeed be used against you when you hesitate in a circumstance where someone is advancing to take it.

I am a firearms instructor and am very capable with my guns, I have to say I would have an extremely hard time pulling the trigger until I identified the intruder and felt they were a threat to me or my family's well being.

I think anyone sensible would. That is why I get disgusted when people talk about shooting spouses, friends, and others who could reasonably be expected to be out and about at odd hours.

I sure wouldn't follow anyone once the immediate threat was over.

In Florida, if you do so, you could become a felon. Eliminate the threat, call the police.

On a financial note, I can't imagine the lawsuits that would follow. I seriously doubt your personal liability or umbrella policies would provide any coverage for an intentional act like this.

Here you lose me. You mean the guy who broke in, overcame the owner, and then offed the entire family with the shotgun? I expect that if I should ever be cast into a position to use my firearm in my home, the law (and a jury of peers if it comes to that) will be protection enough for me. Of course, one should consider that your actions might be viewed in the worst possible light if a shooting does occur. All the more reason to be trained, know the law, and be able to exercise good judgment, or else do not have the weapon at all.

The lawsuit threat I was thinking of would be if I used deadly force on an intruder armed with a knife, baseball bat or squirt gun with a black hood rummaging through my sock drawer while I'm half asleep.

There was a case in Minneapolis a few months ago where an older man killed a crackhead that broke into his house. The kid was unarmed, the old man shot him, he ran a ways and died. It took quite a few days before law enforcement cleared him of criminal charges, I can only guess the civil suit that will follow.

Anyone know where to get training to use a gun, in this case a shotgun?

I got it -- 12 gauge Mossberg -- and the practice shells and the 00 buckshot.

Just need me a few lessons someplace.... 8)

My cop acquaintances helped me decide what to get. One cop referred me to the NRA, but their closest training place is too far away (Long Island).

Buying it was prompted by being in a situation where I needed it. :mad:

kate

Kate,
A shot gun is probably a good choice. You may want to research the type of ammunition to use. 00 Buckshot is can be a powerfull load, travel revatively far and good penetration. If you live in a densely populated area others could be hit. I'm no expert; that is why I'm suggesting you do some research.

If there is a high end gun shop or range near by you could ask them if there is a NRA trained instructor near by. Police officer trainers sometimes do part time training.

Thanks Dex. It's solely for use in a remote area of a nearby state when I'm there alone. Acres of space bordering a national forest. Somebody showed up last time.

I live most of the time in a city and I have no intention of using it here. Police are 2 minutes away and I like those chances better.

Chief investigator recommended the ammo. My intention is to aim the gun at the bedroom door and shoot if it opens. It will help me hold my own for the hour it takes the state police to get to the remote place. Better off with it than without it, anyway.

I like your suggestion re asking someone at the gun shop. I bought the gun at Dick's, but I got the ammo at the most stunning store I have ever been in...... I didn't stay long because they snickered at the small amount of stuff I was buying. I think I'll just go back with my question, since it's on a road I travel often.

Thanks again.

kate

What happened last time, Kate? How did you get rid of the "somebody"? :eek:

Empty Pockets said:
The owner confronted him with a shotgun, a fight broke out and the homeowner ended up getting killed by his own gun. Then the intruder reloaded and shot his wife & son "accidently" according to his statement.

If the intruder was willing to kill the rest of the family with the old man's shotgun, then he probably would have been willing to kill them with any object (or even his bare hands) if there was no gun ever present to begin with.

It just amazes me of the number of people on this board that assume that 99.99999% of intruders are just interested in stealing the family jewels, a laptop computer, and maybe CFB's set o wheels....and just leave everyone else completely alone. Sure, MANY intruders don't want any violence to erupt, and would probably never harm you - but, to me, that's a pretty gutsy proposition.

If someone is desperate enough to break into my abode, I'm assuming that they'll stop at nothing to get what they want (whatever it is) - including taking my life. In response, I'll stop at nothing to protect my life and the life of those that are in my house. The alarm will scare off the 'harmless' thieves, but the next level of security is needed for those that aren't scared off by Level 1.

lets-retire said:
The daughter's boyfriend, probably won't break anything or pick the lock.
lets-retire said:
I'm quite fortunate.....I don't have a daughter. :D
Your second post wasn't necessary-- we could already tell from your first post that you weren't raising a teenage girl in your house... and we're also beginning to wonder what the heck kind of teenager you were, too!

DRiP Guy said:
Hmmmm.....

So I take it your position (clearly) is that I should be prohibited from having deadly force to use within my home to defend myself (the most basic of all human rights, BTW - self defense within your own abode) because: etc, etc...

Nice attempt to read my position, but not close. My position is that I keep myself and my family away from dangerous things and circumstances if I don't deem that their benefit is greater than their risk. Weapons, criminals, dangerous animals, chemicals, etc. I've got nothing against people owning and using guns, and grew up owning and using them myself. I got rid of all my guns when my first daughter began to walk, as I decided that, education notwithstanding, the risk and consequences of an accidental shooting in my house were not worth the relaxation value that they afforded me. Some people share this view with me and others don't...I'm okay with that.

As far as using deadly force in the case of a break-in...if I determine that the assailant seriously threatens the safety of my family or me, I'm certainly in favor of using it if necessary. Not having a gun in the house and readily available for this use is a risk that I am willing to take, however. I feel that the risk to a curious neighbor kid or to a nosy babysitter or incautious house cleaner outweighs the low chance that I might ever need and be able to make ready a firearm for defensive purposes in the case of a break-in. Again, I'm okay with others feeling differently about this, but I do hope that they go through some sort of "interview" process before pulling the trigger in their houses. You'll note that this is what police do, even in the most trigger-happy cop shows. Killing an intruder in your house without first trying to find out who they are and get rid of them some other way may be legal, but in my opinion is not the right thing to do. Say it is clap-trap if you like.

Listen, the four rules from your first post weren't especially well fleshed out. I did read rule 1 to say that you think all guns should be kept loaded. My bad again. I see that the rules are shorthand for the same rules I learned in handling weapons when I was young. I also see from subsequent posts that you are serious about gun safety. Great. I am too. My version of gun safety today is to keep them away from my family and everyone else in my house.

scrinch said:
Nice attempt to read my position, but not close.

Not having a gun in the house and readily available for this use is a risk that I am willing to take, however. I feel that the risk to a curious neighbor kid or to a nosy babysitter or incautious house cleaner outweighs the low chance that I might ever need and be able to make ready a firearm for defensive purposes in the case of a break-in.

Thanks for your respectful reply. I apologize that my own was not as similarly free from bluster. It sounds like you have thought things through and made choices that are the best for you and yours, and I should not have inferred with as little foundation as I chose to do.

Best wishes.

Back
Top Bottom