Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: If an intruder entered your home what would you do?
Shoot 63 40.13%
Wish I had a firearm so I could shoot 20 12.74%
Call police and hide (outside if you're feeling lucky...) 27 17.20%
Hand over my valuables and hope the intruder goes away 9 5.73%
Don't know 7 4.46%
While looking over barrel of S&W-Ask "Have You Given Much Thought To Early Retirement? - Well Have Ya Punk?" 18 11.46%
Try Out Moves Just Learned in &quotiscovering Karate" class 2 1.27%
Sneak Up On Him And Yell In His Ear 0 0%
Sneak Up On Him And Kiss Him On His Ear 0 0%
Ask Dog To Show Him Out 7 4.46%
Shake spouse awake and say "Greg, Greg, I hear something" 2 1.27%
Walk Up To Him And Say In A Wide-eyed Intimidatingly Scary Mysterious Foreign Accent - Heh, Want To Pull My Finger, Mister? 1 0.64%
Show Him Your Pumpkins 1 0.64%
Voters: 157. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-29-2008, 04:09 PM   #221
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

believe it or not insurance policys wont cover you. they consider shooting someone intentional and not an accident. courts have upheld this too
mathjak107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-29-2008, 04:16 PM   #222
Give me a forum ...

The gun accidently emptied two clips...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 09:18 PM   #223
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
The gun accidently emptied two clips...
"Golly-gee officer! I know it sounds almost unbelievable, but the burglar grabbed my gun off the night stand, and proceeded to shoot himself multiple times!"
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 12:08 PM   #224
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goonie View Post
"Golly-gee officer! I know it sounds almost unbelievable, but the burglar grabbed my gun off the night stand, and proceeded to shoot himself multiple times!"
Officer replies: "Most determined case of suicide I've evah seen."
MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 01:14 PM   #225
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goonie View Post
While looking over barrell of your S&W - You Ask "Are You Ready For Early Retirement? - Well Are You Punk?"

S&W Model 27, 357 Magnun, Nickel Plated, Walnut Grips. Loaded and close at hand!

12 gauge Remington shotgun. Loaded and close at hand, also!

A steady hand.....A gentle squeeze! 8)

Our family ALWAYS has had firearms in the house, and all family members (from grade school age on up) have been trained in there use and handling. As kids, we were given our first gun....usually a .22 rifle, when we were in about 3rd grade. I was also trained NEVER to point a gun at someone unless I fully intended to blow there worthless *ss off the face of the fricking earth!!! I guess ya can take Billy outta da hills....but ya ain't never gonna take the hills outta this Billy!!!

Our house has an alarm, so if they're dumb enough to continue in, then their dumb enough to die for their stupidity!!!

We were always told to make sure that the son of a bitch intruder was far enough into the house before you shoot his his worthless *ss, so that he wouldn't accidently fall back outside of the house. You want to make sure the police can CLEARLY see that he was indeed and intruder IN your house, and NOT just standing on the porch looking in!!!

Could I shoot another human being? HELL yes!! I would have NO qualms at all!!! Especially since I really don't like most humans all that well anyway!

goon
And what if after you turned the lights on you discover it's little 10 year old Johnny from next door lying on your floor?
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 02:08 PM   #226
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
And what if after you turned the lights on you discover it's little 10 year old Johnny from next door lying on your floor?
Why is a 10 year old breaking into a neighbor's house?
Old 03-01-2008, 02:09 PM   #227
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
How did he get through the always locked windows and the double deadbolted front door that I never ever forget to lock anytime of the day or night?
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 02:31 PM   #228
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
Kids do the strangest things.
Old 03-01-2008, 02:41 PM   #229
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
How did he get through the always locked windows and the double deadbolted front door that I never ever forget to lock anytime of the day or night?
Forgot to lock one of the windows and he crawled in.
Old 03-01-2008, 02:44 PM   #230

Quote:
He was in trouble so he sought out the safest guy he knows on the block... the guy who cares enough to carry a gun.
free4now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 03:07 PM   #231
Recycles dryer sheets

In a nearby city an old timer shot and killed an intruder in his home. It did turn out to be the neighbor kid that mowed his grass. He was pretty broken up about it.
Just be sure of your target before taking it out.
Old 03-01-2008, 03:32 PM   #232

Quote:
Simple, like others my house is alsways locked tight. Ringing the doorbell will get me there just as quickly and a lot safer than breaking through one of my windows. My alarm system shows when something is not properly secured.
Old 03-01-2008, 03:45 PM   #233
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Forgot to lock one of the windows and he crawled in.
My windows are always locked. I live in Wisconsin were there are maybe a dozen days per year where it's nice enough to open the window without being too cold or too hot and humid so I never open them. Also, those few nice days usually come with either bugs or pollen(or other allergins).
Bottom line, there's no way to get into my condo uninvited without malice intent and it will be treated as such.
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 06:41 PM   #234

Quote:
I just wanted to point out, I don't have a gun but, based on my dog's reaction to some of the seedier kids around here, little Johnny wouldn't fare well. Remember, guns don't kill people, but hungry dogs do.
Marquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 06:54 PM   #235
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

a loaded kid is more dangerous than a loaded gun.
Old 03-01-2008, 07:11 PM   #236
Give me a forum ...

There was a case in NC years ago. A guy was staying home with his sick kid, and heard noises in his garage. Some kids playing hooky from school had broken in. They took off running when he came outside. He shot one kid in the back, killed him.

They took the guy to court and he got a hung jury. The DA didn't try him again. I don't think he really wanted to in the first place.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 08:00 PM   #237

Quote:
Khan and aaron read my mind, and answered accordingly......

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
......those were my exact thoughts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by free4now View Post
He was in trouble so he sought out the safest guy he knows on the block... the guy who cares enough to carry a gun.
Well, since little Johnnie knows me, he already knows (and has been warned repeatedly by his parents and the other neighbors) that I'm a somewhat crazy son of a b*tch gun......who has a gun, and has been seen shooting poor defenseless little critters out of nearby trees. And I generally like most critters better than I like most people!
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 08:36 PM   #238

What if what if what if...
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 10:01 PM   #239

I always thought that I'd know what I'd do if faced with imminent danger, but when I actually did come face to face with it, my reaction was so completely out of character for me that I'm stunned by it even now.

In my case, it wasn't a home invasion, but rather an armed robbery on a city sidewalk when I was still a teen. I was walking home from the bus stop after work -- still daylight -- and was approached by three young females. Two of them had their hands in their pockets, but I did see that one had a knife (I learned later that the other had a loaded pistol in her coat.) The three of them stopped me on the sidewalk and the unarmed one first asked me for money. I said I had none -- I think I had like $3 on me -- and tried to walk around them. The unarmed one then grabbed for my purse.

Now, IF I had ever thought about this beforehand, I would have said that I would never fight someone over my personal belongings. I was positive that I would have handed over my purse, thinking that nothing I own is worth fighting over.

I was wrong.

In my other hand I had a long umbrella, which I was holding in the middle rather than by the handle. As soon as she touched my purse, I became a crazy, screaming lunatic! Really. I don't know what came over me, but I started swinging that umbrella as if I were Babe Ruth looking to hit #60 -- and I was consciously aware that I was trying to do some serious hurt to that person, all the while I was screaming obsenities that I didn't even know I knew! I hit her so hard across the shoulder that I broke the umbrella in half, and then kept swinging the broken umbrella like it was a pair of numchuks. And at that moment, I knew that if I had a gun, I would have tried to kill them.

The injured girl dropped to her knees (she suffered a serious concussion, a broken nose and broken collarbone as I recall), and I turned and ran into the street -- screaming blood murder at the top of my lungs. One of the other girls took off after me, but I didn't know it until later when I realized that she actually tore the belt off my coat. In the meantime, my screams alerted someone to call the police and two cars arrived very quickly.

The officers in the first car pursued the girls and caught all of them. The officers in the second car took me to the station to take my report. I was still carrying the umbrella and I'll never forget the officer marveling at the strength it must have took for me to break the thing in half. Only later, when I learned that the girl with the gun had a lengthy criminal record, did I start to shake. I could not believe that I tried -- I really tried -- to kill them.

I had to go to court for their trials and there I learned that they were suspected of robbing dozens of elderly people over the past couple of years, but none of the older folks either wanted to press charges or could provide a good description of them. All three ended up in prison.

DH and I do not keep guns in our house, and in fact, when our daughter was younger, I was known as the mom who called DD's friends' parents to make sure that no unsecured weapons were in their houses before I'd let my daughter go to their houses.

What would I do if an intruder entered my house? I honestly dunno...with two loud dogs who bark at any noise I hope I never find out. But we do keep a baseball bat under the bed.
Achiever51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 11:05 PM   #240

I have never owned a gun, or even been in a fight. However, I always thought if I caught someone
taking my stuff I would react strongly (I'm a fairly big guy - 6'2", heavy build).

My one encounter with theft was at the airport (LAX). I was about to pack up my bike for a flight
to SFX, then ride home. I leaned the bike against the wall, then turned around to unload some
more stuff. When I turned back a guy was about 10' away riding my bike off (slow acceleration
due to being in high gear). I ran over to him, grab the bike in 1 hand, his collar in the other, flung
him about 10', then started inspecting my bike for damage. All I could think of was not ruining
my ride. It never crossed my mind to call the cops or punish him further until later.