Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-16-2014, 11:13 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
I look at regional 'Chili wars' the same I look at deep-dish versus thin crust, they're just different. Each person can have their own preference. Texas Chili w/o beans is good, people from there probably prefer that style. (*)

I can enjoy chili of all types, I enjoy the variety. DW makes a great chicken & white bean chili, but that is a very, very different dish from a beef-meaty chili w/o beans. They are both great in their own way. I'm even open to a good veggie chili, if there is such a thing, I may have had one I can't recall.

Same with the different BBQ styles - enjoy them for what they are. They are all good, sugar, tomato, vinegar, whatever - I'm almost glad I was not raised with a regional preference, that would be too limiting.

(*) just proving I know how to use they're, their, there - from that other thread

-ERD50
You mean "Each person can have his or her own preference".

Singular subject (person), singular object (preference) and singular preposition (his or her).

Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-16-2014, 11:43 AM   #22
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
I received a recipe from Austin called "Texas Red And A Long Neck" (that's Lone Star Beer) plus a package of "H*ll In A Bottle".
I'll post the recipe when I find it.
Ummm, aren't those the same thing?
Mr. Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 12:29 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetpack View Post
Chili is by far one of my favorite dishes to make. I put everything in there with beef from sweet corn, peppers, onions, beans, chickpeas, tomatoes and lots of spices... and maybe some chocolate.
Boy, that sounds good!

I am a person who likes beans!

Slightly off topic, but the venison post reminded me of this. When my daughter was a small child, my DH would pack whatever we had for dinner for her lunch at the babysitter's house the next day. She was a tiny thing and did not eat very much, but he would pack enough for at least 1 adult and maybe more. Everyday, when I would pick her up, her babysitter would say that she had finished her lunch and boy was it good. I told my DH that she really liked the spaghetti. He asked me if she ate venison and I told him that I assumed so, but did not really know. I asked her the next day and she assured me that she definitely did not eat venison. I had no choice, but to tell her that it was in the delicious spaghetti that she ate and that we cooked with it frequently. She had a very funny look on her face. She would always tell me that she did not finish my DD's lunch after this time. I don't remember how long it was after this, but one day she told me that DD did not eat all of her spaghetti and she could not help herself and she finished it and that it was good!
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 12:38 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Ok, this will surprise some folks (mostly Texans). My wife, who is a native born & bred Texan, who never crossed the borders of the state of Texas to visit any other place before she met me, is at this moment boiling a pot of beans to add to her chili recipe that was handed down from her mother (of German decent), also a native Texan that never left the state.

Update:
I am just now being informed that her mother also did make chili without beans for her dad, sometimes. She made it both ways. Therefore, I have now requested that the NEXT pot of chili cooked in our house be made the "traditional" Texas way...without beans!
martyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 01:26 PM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyb View Post

Update:
I am just now being informed that her mother also did make chili without beans for her dad, sometimes. She made it both ways. Therefore, I have now requested that the NEXT pot of chili cooked in our house be made the "traditional" Texas way...without beans!
There may be some hope for you after all...
Old 02-16-2014, 08:58 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
You mean "Each person can have his or her own preference".

Singular subject (person), singular object (preference) and singular preposition (his or her).

Oh boy, I stepped in that one. Let's see if I can recover - my use of 'their' was correct, it was my use of "Each person" that was incorrect. Yeah, that's the ticket! So how about 'People can have their own preference'? Does that work? Or does it now need to be 'preferences'? I hate grammar!

Like I said in that thread, some of this is easy for me, but there are many areas I struggle with (like ending sentences with prepositions).

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 04:42 PM   #27
Full time employment: Posting here.

I love chili but my digestive system, not so much. Break out the Beano beforehand or I will regret it later.
Old 02-17-2014, 05:01 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom52 View Post
I love chili but my digestive system, not so much. Break out the Beano beforehand or I will regret it later.
Don't eat beans, problem solved. Seriously I do understand no fun.

Years ago I got into growing peppers, of course being male that included habanros. Read lots of information on how to enjoy the sweet fruity hot favor. It worked, after much pratice, sweat and fruity. My digestive system never got the message.
MRG
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 05:33 PM   #29
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
I've had Cincinnati style chili at Skyline and better places. If they have to doctor up their chili with other stuff (3-way, 5-way, 7-way), the chili must not be that good. What are they hiding?
4-way bean with a cheese coney Mmmmmmmmm! Just 5 minutes down the street!
gindie is offline   Reply With Quote